Re: [Clip] working with a column of data

  • Don
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2011
      On 9/4/2011 11:32 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
      > Don wrote:
      >> Is there a way to pull column 3 out once you know what the delimiter is?
      >
      > Easy:
      > ^!Find "^([^\t]*\t){2}([^\t]+)\t RASTI2
      >
      > After that the find is highlighted. You can work on ^$GetSelection$ and
      > write the result with ^!InsertText. Then loop.
      >
      > Axel

      Sorry insufficient info on my part, it could be any column, not always
      three. I think there is a way to get things in column x but I'm drawing
      a blank.
    • Don
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2011
        On 9/4/2011 11:42 AM, Don wrote:
        > On 9/4/2011 11:32 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
        >> Don wrote:
        >>> Is there a way to pull column 3 out once you know what the delimiter is?
        >>
        >> Easy:
        >> ^!Find "^([^\t]*\t){2}([^\t]+)\t RASTI2
        >>
        >> After that the find is highlighted. You can work on ^$GetSelection$ and
        >> write the result with ^!InsertText. Then loop.
        >>
        >> Axel
        >
        > Sorry insufficient info on my part, it could be any column, not always
        > three. I think there is a way to get things in column x but I'm drawing
        > a blank.

        I'm thinking it is GetField I was looking for.

        I rediscovered the clip NoteTab Googler (awesome clip that searches the
        past messages) and also came across Jody's posts/site (sadly now gone in
        both cases) but not forgotten in the case of our departed friend Jody.
        What a great notetab friend. Is Jody's work archived somewhere?
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2011
          Don wrote:
          > I'm thinking it is GetField I was looking for.

          Yes. This one was so simple to make from scratch, I never thought of
          looking for a ready-made function, but as it's there, we might as well
          use it.

          > Sorry insufficient info on my part, it could be any column, not
          > always three. I think there is a way to get things in column x
          > but I'm drawing a blank.

          Well, if it's column x, there will be (x-1) columns in front of it. So
          just replace my "2" with "(x-1)" and you're done. With clips being a
          macro-language, I'd expect it might even accept a variable in there.