Re: [Clip] working with a column of data

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2011
      Don wrote:
      > Is there a way to pull column 3 out once you know what the delimiter is?

      Easy:
      ^!Find "^([^\t]*\t){2}([^\t]+)\t RASTI2

      After that the find is highlighted. You can work on ^$GetSelection$ and
      write the result with ^!InsertText. Then loop.

      Axel
    • Don
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2011
        On 9/4/2011 11:32 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
        > Don wrote:
        >> Is there a way to pull column 3 out once you know what the delimiter is?
        >
        > Easy:
        > ^!Find "^([^\t]*\t){2}([^\t]+)\t RASTI2
        >
        > After that the find is highlighted. You can work on ^$GetSelection$ and
        > write the result with ^!InsertText. Then loop.
        >
        > Axel

        Sorry insufficient info on my part, it could be any column, not always
        three. I think there is a way to get things in column x but I'm drawing
        a blank.
      • Don
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2011
          On 9/4/2011 11:42 AM, Don wrote:
          > On 9/4/2011 11:32 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
          >> Don wrote:
          >>> Is there a way to pull column 3 out once you know what the delimiter is?
          >>
          >> Easy:
          >> ^!Find "^([^\t]*\t){2}([^\t]+)\t RASTI2
          >>
          >> After that the find is highlighted. You can work on ^$GetSelection$ and
          >> write the result with ^!InsertText. Then loop.
          >>
          >> Axel
          >
          > Sorry insufficient info on my part, it could be any column, not always
          > three. I think there is a way to get things in column x but I'm drawing
          > a blank.

          I'm thinking it is GetField I was looking for.

          I rediscovered the clip NoteTab Googler (awesome clip that searches the
          past messages) and also came across Jody's posts/site (sadly now gone in
          both cases) but not forgotten in the case of our departed friend Jody.
          What a great notetab friend. Is Jody's work archived somewhere?
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2011
            Don wrote:
            > I'm thinking it is GetField I was looking for.

            Yes. This one was so simple to make from scratch, I never thought of
            looking for a ready-made function, but as it's there, we might as well
            use it.

            > Sorry insufficient info on my part, it could be any column, not
            > always three. I think there is a way to get things in column x
            > but I'm drawing a blank.

            Well, if it's column x, there will be (x-1) columns in front of it. So
            just replace my "2" with "(x-1)" and you're done. With clips being a
            macro-language, I'd expect it might even accept a variable in there.