Re: [Clip] Merging two files

  • loro
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27, 2011
      John Shotsky wrote:
      >I'm looking for a standard way to add the contents of a file (file2)
      >to the ends of the matching lines of another file.
      >(file1)
      >
      >Both files have the same number of lines, and I can begin each line
      >with a number, such as 1., 2., if needed. Or they
      >can both start with a unique text name. There will never be
      >duplicate lines within either file.

      I'd use the Modify Block tools. You just need to see to that the
      lines in the document you want to paste the content of the other one
      into have the same length. Fill them with blanks when needed and add
      extra spaces for margin if you want two separated columns as the
      result of the operation. If you don't want two straight columns, but
      rather want the new line to continue where the first ends, it's easy
      to remove the extraneous spaces afterwards, by Find % Replace or clip.

      Lotta
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 27, 2011
        I want this to be a completely automatic process with no manual intervention. It is just one bit in a long string of
        clips. As in my example, I'm just adding page numbers to the end of every line. As I mentioned, I have a way to do it,
        but I don't think it's very efficient � copying file2 to the bottom of file1, then moving each line, one by one, until
        file2 lines are all gone.

        I want a general purpose method, because there are different cases of what needs to be done. In some cases, each line in
        file1 and file2 start with the same words, which facilitates the match. In other cases, there will be two files with
        simply the same number of lines, but I want the same process to occur � the contents of file2 appear on the ends of each
        File1 line, but without matching words in file2.

        Using arrays, it would just add the two arrays together in a single operation with the contents of array 2 pasted onto
        the ends of the lines in array 1. I just don't know how to code this function.

        Example:
        File 1 has 10 lines of varying lengths.
        File 2 has 10 lines of varying lengths.
        There is nothing by which to key these lines.
        The clip should place whatever is in file2 on the ends of the file1 lines.

        In yet another example, I want to insert the lines in file2 as standalone lines in file1, but in specific, controlled
        locations. Once I have the basic methodology set up, I can modify how it works to achieve each need.

        >I'm looking for a standard way to add the contents of a file (file2)
        >to the ends of the matching lines of another file.
        >(file1)
        >
        >Both files have the same number of lines, and I can begin each line
        >with a number, such as 1., 2., if needed. Or they
        >can both start with a unique text name. There will never be
        >duplicate lines within either file.

        I'd use the Modify Block tools. You just need to see to that the
        lines in the document you want to paste the content of the other one
        into have the same length. Fill them with blanks when needed and add
        extra spaces for margin if you want two separated columns as the
        result of the operation. If you don't want two straight columns, but
        rather want the new line to continue where the first ends, it's easy
        to remove the extraneous spaces afterwards, by Find % Replace or clip.

        Lotta

      • Art Kocsis
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 27, 2011
          I posted the specific method and code that you want two days ago!

          Art

        • flo.gehrke
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 27, 2011

            > I want a general purpose method, because there are different
            > cases of what needs to be done. In some cases, each line in
            > file1 and file2 start with the same words, which facilitates
            > the match. In other cases, there will be two files with
            > simply the same number of lines, but I want the same process to
            > occur – the contents of file2 appear on the ends of each
            > File1 line, but without matching words in file2.

            John,

            If the two files should be combined 'line by line' like...

            file1 line #1 + file2 line #1
            file1 line #2 + file2 line #2
            etc...

            I think this is perfectly achieved with Art's idea (message #22020) according with your sample.

            Completing Art's proposal and providing that both File1 and File2 contain the same amount of lines you could try...

            ^!SetListDelimiter ^%NL%
            ^!SetArray %Left%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File1.TXT)$
            ^!SetArray %Right%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File2.TXT)$
            ^!Set %i%=0

            :Loop
            ^!Inc %i%
            ^!If ^%i% > ^%Left0% Out
            ^!AppendtoFile ^$GetDocumentPath$NewFile.TXT ^%Left^%i%% ^%Right^%i%%^%NL%
            ^!Goto Loop

            :Out
            ; In case you want to replace the original File1...
            ^!RecycleFile ^$GetDocumentPath$File1.txt
            ^!RenameFile ^$GetDocumentPath$NewFile.TXT ^$GetDocumentPath$File1.txt

            If you want to see the result in a new document before saving it to the disk you might prefer the following clip. It also avoids empty lines...

            ^!SetListDelimiter ^%NL%
            ^!SetArray %Left%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File1.TXT)$
            ^!SetArray %Right%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File2.TXT)$
            ; Strip empty records from end of array (by courtesy of Eb)
            ^!If "^%Left^%Left0%%" <> "^%Empty%" Skip Else ^!Dec %Left0%
            ^!Goto Skip_-1
            ^!Set %i%=0

            :Loop
            ^!Inc %i%
            ^!If ^%i% > ^%Left0% End
            ^!InsertText ^%Left^%i%% ^%Right^%i%%^%NL%
            ^!Goto Loop

            If the result is correct save it as File1.TXT replacing the original file.

            Regards,
            Flo
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 27, 2011
              Thank you, Flo and Art! I'm on another task right now, but will get back to this in a day or two.

              > I want a general purpose method, because there are different
              > cases of what needs to be done. In some cases, each line in
              > file1 and file2 start with the same words, which facilitates
              > the match. In other cases, there will be two files with
              > simply the same number of lines, but I want the same process to
              > occur � the contents of file2 appear on the ends of each
              > File1 line, but without matching words in file2.

              John,

              If the two files should be combined 'line by line' like...

              file1 line #1 + file2 line #1
              file1 line #2 + file2 line #2
              etc...

              I think this is perfectly achieved with Art's idea (message #22020) according with your sample.

              Completing Art's proposal and providing that both File1 and File2 contain the same amount of lines you could try...

              ^!SetListDelimiter ^%NL%
              ^!SetArray %Left%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File1.TXT)$
              ^!SetArray %Right%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File2.TXT)$
              ^!Set %i%=0

              :Loop
              ^!Inc %i%
              ^!If ^%i% > ^%Left0% Out
              ^!AppendtoFile ^$GetDocumentPath$NewFile.TXT ^%Left^%i%% ^%Right^%i%%^%NL%
              ^!Goto Loop

              :Out
              ; In case you want to replace the original File1...
              ^!RecycleFile ^$GetDocumentPath$File1.txt
              ^!RenameFile ^$GetDocumentPath$NewFile.TXT ^$GetDocumentPath$File1.txt

              If you want to see the result in a new document before saving it to the disk you might prefer the following clip. It
              also avoids empty lines...

              ^!SetListDelimiter ^%NL%
              ^!SetArray %Left%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File1.TXT)$
              ^!SetArray %Right%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File2.TXT)$
              ; Strip empty records from end of array (by courtesy of Eb)
              ^!If "^%Left^%Left0%%" <> "^%Empty%" Skip Else ^!Dec %Left0%
              ^!Goto Skip_-1
              ^!Set %i%=0

              :Loop
              ^!Inc %i%
              ^!If ^%i% > ^%Left0% End
              ^!InsertText ^%Left^%i%% ^%Right^%i%%^%NL%
              ^!Goto Loop

              If the result is correct save it as File1.TXT replacing the original file.

              Regards,
              Flo

            • Ian NTnerd
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 29, 2011
                John,

                If the files are large you may want to look at "join" a command line
                tool from GnuWin32 CoreUtils. It does what you want. I'd construce the
                command line in NT and let join do the work.

                Art's array is good too. You could parse the File2 to split on space so
                that you don't add the unique number again.

                ; set arrays as per Art's example. Rename array names so it does not end
                in a number.
                ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
                ^!SetArray %FileA%=^$GetFileText("^%oldFile1%")$
                ^!SetArray %FileB%=^$GetFileText("^%oldFile2%")$
                ; Use the "loop element" from clip assistant
                ^!Set %Index%=0
                ^!Set %LoopCount%=^%FileA0%
                ^!IfCancel End
                :LoopStart
                ^!Inc %Index%
                ^!If ^%Index% > ^%LoopCount% EndLoop
                ; add safety line to skip empty lines usually at the end of a file.
                ^!if "^%File1^%index%%"="" LoopStart

                ; set up to parse the second file after the unique number. Assumes only
                one space in lines in file2
                ^!setlistdelimiter " "
                ^!setarray %linedata%=^%File2^%index%%
                ^!AppendtoFile "^%newFile%" ^%File1^%index%% ^%linedata2%^%nl%

                ^!GoTo LoopStart
                :EndLoop

                Ian