RE: [Clip] Merging two files

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 25, 2011
      John,

      Your original question was quite clear in what you wanted.

      The process is quite simple and short:
      Set the delimiter to ^P
      Input each file into separate arrays
      Append each array element (in sequence), and output to the new file.
      BTW, the meat of this was all detailed in the clips I sent you in Feb.

      ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
      ^!SetArray %File1%=^$GetFileText("^%oldFile1%")$
      ^!SetArray %File2%=^$GetFileText("^%oldFile2%")$
      ;Execute the next line for all element of the arrays i = 1, 2, ... max
      ^!AppendtoFile ^%newFile% ^%File1^%i%%^%File2^%i%%^%nl%

      Obviously, you have to define the file name variables and check for unequal
      # of array elements and other conditions.

      Namaste', Art

      At 08/25/2011 13:53, you wrote:
      >File1:
      >1. some text but there might be more
      >2. some more text. and there might be more
      >
      >File2:
      >1. 80
      >2. 90
      >
      >Result wanted:
      >File1:
      >1. some text but there might be more 80
      >2. some more text. and there might be more 90
      >
      >Appending places file2 contents at the bottom of the file1 - not what is
      >wanted.
      >
      >This needs to run as an automated clip, with no user interaction. The
      >files are in place, and their names are known to
      >the system. Just looking for the most efficient way to do it.
      >
      >Regards,
      >John

    • loro
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 27, 2011
        John Shotsky wrote:
        >I'm looking for a standard way to add the contents of a file (file2)
        >to the ends of the matching lines of another file.
        >(file1)
        >
        >Both files have the same number of lines, and I can begin each line
        >with a number, such as 1., 2., if needed. Or they
        >can both start with a unique text name. There will never be
        >duplicate lines within either file.

        I'd use the Modify Block tools. You just need to see to that the
        lines in the document you want to paste the content of the other one
        into have the same length. Fill them with blanks when needed and add
        extra spaces for margin if you want two separated columns as the
        result of the operation. If you don't want two straight columns, but
        rather want the new line to continue where the first ends, it's easy
        to remove the extraneous spaces afterwards, by Find % Replace or clip.

        Lotta
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 27, 2011
          I want this to be a completely automatic process with no manual intervention. It is just one bit in a long string of
          clips. As in my example, I'm just adding page numbers to the end of every line. As I mentioned, I have a way to do it,
          but I don't think it's very efficient � copying file2 to the bottom of file1, then moving each line, one by one, until
          file2 lines are all gone.

          I want a general purpose method, because there are different cases of what needs to be done. In some cases, each line in
          file1 and file2 start with the same words, which facilitates the match. In other cases, there will be two files with
          simply the same number of lines, but I want the same process to occur � the contents of file2 appear on the ends of each
          File1 line, but without matching words in file2.

          Using arrays, it would just add the two arrays together in a single operation with the contents of array 2 pasted onto
          the ends of the lines in array 1. I just don't know how to code this function.

          Example:
          File 1 has 10 lines of varying lengths.
          File 2 has 10 lines of varying lengths.
          There is nothing by which to key these lines.
          The clip should place whatever is in file2 on the ends of the file1 lines.

          In yet another example, I want to insert the lines in file2 as standalone lines in file1, but in specific, controlled
          locations. Once I have the basic methodology set up, I can modify how it works to achieve each need.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 27, 2011
            I posted the specific method and code that you want two days ago!

            Art

          • flo.gehrke
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 27, 2011

              > I want a general purpose method, because there are different
              > cases of what needs to be done. In some cases, each line in
              > file1 and file2 start with the same words, which facilitates
              > the match. In other cases, there will be two files with
              > simply the same number of lines, but I want the same process to
              > occur – the contents of file2 appear on the ends of each
              > File1 line, but without matching words in file2.

              John,

              If the two files should be combined 'line by line' like...

              file1 line #1 + file2 line #1
              file1 line #2 + file2 line #2
              etc...

              I think this is perfectly achieved with Art's idea (message #22020) according with your sample.

              Completing Art's proposal and providing that both File1 and File2 contain the same amount of lines you could try...

              ^!SetListDelimiter ^%NL%
              ^!SetArray %Left%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File1.TXT)$
              ^!SetArray %Right%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File2.TXT)$
              ^!Set %i%=0

              :Loop
              ^!Inc %i%
              ^!If ^%i% > ^%Left0% Out
              ^!AppendtoFile ^$GetDocumentPath$NewFile.TXT ^%Left^%i%% ^%Right^%i%%^%NL%
              ^!Goto Loop

              :Out
              ; In case you want to replace the original File1...
              ^!RecycleFile ^$GetDocumentPath$File1.txt
              ^!RenameFile ^$GetDocumentPath$NewFile.TXT ^$GetDocumentPath$File1.txt

              If you want to see the result in a new document before saving it to the disk you might prefer the following clip. It also avoids empty lines...

              ^!SetListDelimiter ^%NL%
              ^!SetArray %Left%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File1.TXT)$
              ^!SetArray %Right%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File2.TXT)$
              ; Strip empty records from end of array (by courtesy of Eb)
              ^!If "^%Left^%Left0%%" <> "^%Empty%" Skip Else ^!Dec %Left0%
              ^!Goto Skip_-1
              ^!Set %i%=0

              :Loop
              ^!Inc %i%
              ^!If ^%i% > ^%Left0% End
              ^!InsertText ^%Left^%i%% ^%Right^%i%%^%NL%
              ^!Goto Loop

              If the result is correct save it as File1.TXT replacing the original file.

              Regards,
              Flo
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 27, 2011
                Thank you, Flo and Art! I'm on another task right now, but will get back to this in a day or two.

                > I want a general purpose method, because there are different
                > cases of what needs to be done. In some cases, each line in
                > file1 and file2 start with the same words, which facilitates
                > the match. In other cases, there will be two files with
                > simply the same number of lines, but I want the same process to
                > occur � the contents of file2 appear on the ends of each
                > File1 line, but without matching words in file2.

                John,

                If the two files should be combined 'line by line' like...

                file1 line #1 + file2 line #1
                file1 line #2 + file2 line #2
                etc...

                I think this is perfectly achieved with Art's idea (message #22020) according with your sample.

                Completing Art's proposal and providing that both File1 and File2 contain the same amount of lines you could try...

                ^!SetListDelimiter ^%NL%
                ^!SetArray %Left%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File1.TXT)$
                ^!SetArray %Right%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File2.TXT)$
                ^!Set %i%=0

                :Loop
                ^!Inc %i%
                ^!If ^%i% > ^%Left0% Out
                ^!AppendtoFile ^$GetDocumentPath$NewFile.TXT ^%Left^%i%% ^%Right^%i%%^%NL%
                ^!Goto Loop

                :Out
                ; In case you want to replace the original File1...
                ^!RecycleFile ^$GetDocumentPath$File1.txt
                ^!RenameFile ^$GetDocumentPath$NewFile.TXT ^$GetDocumentPath$File1.txt

                If you want to see the result in a new document before saving it to the disk you might prefer the following clip. It
                also avoids empty lines...

                ^!SetListDelimiter ^%NL%
                ^!SetArray %Left%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File1.TXT)$
                ^!SetArray %Right%=^$GetFileText(^$GetDocumentPath$File2.TXT)$
                ; Strip empty records from end of array (by courtesy of Eb)
                ^!If "^%Left^%Left0%%" <> "^%Empty%" Skip Else ^!Dec %Left0%
                ^!Goto Skip_-1
                ^!Set %i%=0

                :Loop
                ^!Inc %i%
                ^!If ^%i% > ^%Left0% End
                ^!InsertText ^%Left^%i%% ^%Right^%i%%^%NL%
                ^!Goto Loop

                If the result is correct save it as File1.TXT replacing the original file.

                Regards,
                Flo

              • Ian NTnerd
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 29, 2011
                  John,

                  If the files are large you may want to look at "join" a command line
                  tool from GnuWin32 CoreUtils. It does what you want. I'd construce the
                  command line in NT and let join do the work.

                  Art's array is good too. You could parse the File2 to split on space so
                  that you don't add the unique number again.

                  ; set arrays as per Art's example. Rename array names so it does not end
                  in a number.
                  ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
                  ^!SetArray %FileA%=^$GetFileText("^%oldFile1%")$
                  ^!SetArray %FileB%=^$GetFileText("^%oldFile2%")$
                  ; Use the "loop element" from clip assistant
                  ^!Set %Index%=0
                  ^!Set %LoopCount%=^%FileA0%
                  ^!IfCancel End
                  :LoopStart
                  ^!Inc %Index%
                  ^!If ^%Index% > ^%LoopCount% EndLoop
                  ; add safety line to skip empty lines usually at the end of a file.
                  ^!if "^%File1^%index%%"="" LoopStart

                  ; set up to parse the second file after the unique number. Assumes only
                  one space in lines in file2
                  ^!setlistdelimiter " "
                  ^!setarray %linedata%=^%File2^%index%%
                  ^!AppendtoFile "^%newFile%" ^%File1^%index%% ^%linedata2%^%nl%

                  ^!GoTo LoopStart
                  :EndLoop

                  Ian