Invalid Characters Verification

  • Lucas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2011
      Hey Guys,

      I'm wondering here... is there a way i can match and replace all occurrences of invalid characters in my text?

      Like, i only want my text to have alphanumeric and some special characters (*,'."()[]{}!@#$%¨&\/=+-|).

      Guess its hard right, i want to remove characters like:
      ¥☺╣₧♀♣♂

      Thanks.
    • Don
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26, 2011
        replace with regex checked the following:
        \&#\d{3,4};
        with nothing

        On 7/26/2011 8:42 PM, Lucas wrote:
        > Hey Guys,
        >
        > I'm wondering here... is there a way i can match and replace all occurrences of invalid characters in my text?
        >
        > Like, i only want my text to have alphanumeric and some special characters (*,'."()[]{}!@#$%¨&\/=+-|).
        >
        > Guess its hard right, i want to remove characters like:
        > ¥☺╣₧♀♣♂
        >
        > Thanks.
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26, 2011
          The pound sign needs to be escaped. PCRE uses them in comments, and results in NoteTab are unreliable without the
          escape. These problems are EXTREMELY difficult to troubleshoot.

          A lot of such characters are Unicode versions of ASCII characters. In that case, you would probably want to replace them
          with the ascii equivalent. I have a whole clip library that parses these things, and converts numerous versions of the
          same character to the ascii equivalent. I don't think there's a one liner that will give the results you really want.
          One line:
          ^!Replace "(&\#145;|&\#146;|'|&\#96;|′|&\#8242|‘|&\#8216|’|&\#8217|`|�|�|�)" >> "\'" ARSW

          These are all versions of single quotes or what might be found on the internet as coded to be a single quote. Smart
          quotes, etc, all become [']. Just deleting the high-order ones would probably negatively affect the document under
          revision.