Re: [Clip] Delete lines of varying length that begin with a certain tag. Help?

  • Jane Peppler
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 25, 2011
      Eeks, no it didn't work!? This is what my clip looks like now, John:

      ^!Replace "1 _UID .*\R" >> "" rwais

      Fail.

      What am I doing wrong?
      Ja e

      On 25 July 2011 21:52, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:
      > The problem is with \$ which says you are looking for a $ in the file. Remove the slash and it will work. However, as
      > written, it will leave blank lines for each of them. To prevent the blank lines, use \R instead of $.
      >
      > Regards,
      > John

    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 25, 2011
        Just \R won't work if "1 _UID" appears on last line in file ... so ...
        (not tested ;-) )
        ^!Replace "1 _UID .*(?:\$\Z)" >> "" rwais
        where \Z represents end-of-file or buffer

        On 2011-07-25 21:52, John Shotsky wrote:
        > The problem is with \$ which says you are looking for a $ in the file. Remove the slash and it will work. However, as
        > written, it will leave blank lines for each of them. To prevent the blank lines, use \R instead of $.
        >
        > Regards,
        > John

        <snip>
        > 1 _UID 6E58E0BD-56B3-4861-9310-EDB94FC9B9AA
        >
        > here's one of the (scores of) variations I tried - saved as a clip,
        > highlighted the whole file and pulled the trigger. Nada:
        >
        > ^!Replace "1 _UID .*\$">> "" rwais

      • Jane Peppler
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 25, 2011
          Argh, no, that did not work either! Thanks for trying though, both of you.
          Any other ideas? Jane

          On 25 July 2011 22:05, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Just \R won't work if "1 _UID" appears on last line in file ... so ...
          > (not tested ;-) )
          > ^!Replace "1 _UID .*(?:\$\Z)" >> "" rwais
          > where \Z represents end-of-file or buffer
          >

          > On 2011-07-25 21:52, John Shotsky wrote:
          > > The problem is with \$ which says you are looking for a $ in the file.
          > Remove the slash and it will work. However, as
          > > written, it will leave blank lines for each of them. To prevent the blank
          > lines, use \R instead of $.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > John

        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 25, 2011
            Jane,

            John beat me to it (to make it work), but I would add a couple of teaks to
            the search string make it more reliable, namely:

            ^1 _UID .*?\R

            The leading "^" forces the pattern match to start in column 1 instead of
            anywhere in the line (although I think Flo said it doesn't work in NTB Pro).

            The "?" makes the ".*" non-greedy. RegEx is supposed to stop at the line
            terminator but "just in case...". IMHO, adding a quantifier is a good habit
            to develop.

            Also, you can speed up your coding by developing your search pattern using
            the Menu/Toolbar Find command. Start simple and keep adding to the pattern
            until you're satisfied, then just copy it to the Replace command.

            Namaste', Art

            At 07/25/2011 18:05, you wrote:
            >Hello friends,
            >
            >I have looked through the clip archives and have also (tried to) read
            >Jody's manual, but I can't figure out how to make the suggestions I
            >found there work. Can you give me a hand?
            >
            >I want to remove -entirely- any line that begins with a certain tag,
            >no matter how long the string of characters that follow.
            >
            >for instance, I want this whole line to just go away, no matter where
            >it appears in the file, no matter how long the code is. It will always
            >begin 1 _UID
            >
            >1 _UID 6E58E0BD-56B3-4861-9310-EDB94FC9B9AA
            >
            >here's one of the (scores of) variations I tried - saved as a clip,
            >highlighted the whole file and pulled the trigger. Nada:
            >
            >^!Replace "1 _UID .*\$" >> "" rwais
            >
            >thanks for your help.
            >Jane
          • Don
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 25, 2011
              ^ is alive and well in pro to signify a line start.

              > The leading "^" forces the pattern match to start in column 1 instead of
              > anywhere in the line (although I think Flo said it doesn't work in NTB Pro).
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 25, 2011
                Yes, you're right. Years ago, I began my clip libraries with two clips that assure me that I don't need to remember
                about these issues.

                One is that I replace \R with \r\n. That assures that there is only one kind of line end in my files.

                The other is that I replace \z with \r\n. That assures me that I have a blank line on the end of my file.

                Knowing these are non-issues up front, I have no need to make provisions for them elsewhere in the clip library. But I
                agree, for a random clip, such precautions are wise.

                Also I agree with Art that ^ should be used with the beginning of the find line. Otherwise, it could find 11_UID. ^
                works just fine in Pro � I use that and\or $ in most of my clips and my users use all three versions of NoteTab
                successfully with my clips.

                On 2011-07-25 21:52, John Shotsky wrote:
                > The problem is with \$ which says you are looking for a $ in the file. Remove the slash and it will work. However, as
                > written, it will leave blank lines for each of them. To prevent the blank lines, use \R instead of $.
                >
                > Regards,
                > John

              • Jane Peppler
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 25, 2011
                  It worked! Thank you all! Now, one more question - since I see some of
                  these corrupted entries start with different numbers (ie 2 _UID or 3
                  _UID) what is the proper wild card syntax? You are great to help me.
                  Gratefully,
                  Jane

                  On 25 July 2011 22:41, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:
                  > Yes, you're right. Years ago, I began my clip libraries with two clips that assure me that I don't need to remember
                  > about these issues.
                  >
                  > One is that I replace \R with \r\n. That assures that there is only one kind of line end in my files.
                  >
                  > The other is that I replace \z with \r\n. That assures me that I have a blank line on the end of my file.
                  >
                  > Knowing these are non-issues up front, I have no need to make provisions for them elsewhere in the clip library. But I
                  > agree, for a random clip, such precautions are wise.
                  >
                  > Also I agree with Art that ^ should be used with the beginning of the find line. Otherwise, it could find 11_UID. ^
                  > works just fine in Pro – I use that and\or $ in most of my clips and my users use all three versions of NoteTab
                  > successfully with my clips.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > John

                • Alec Burgess
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 25, 2011
                    On 2011-07-25 22:08, Jane Peppler wrote:
                    > Argh, no, that did not work either! Thanks for trying though, both of you.
                    > Any other ideas? Jane
                    Then you said ...
                    > It worked! Thank you all! Now, one more question - since I see some of
                    > these corrupted entries start with different numbers (ie 2 _UID or 3
                    > _UID) what is the proper wild card syntax? You are great to help me.
                    Jane: Based on time stamps of messages I'm not sure which is last ...
                    Assuming that what worked was this (or some variant of it):
                    ^!Replace "1 _UID .*(?:\$\Z)" >> "" rwais
                    then all you do is change initial "1" to "\d" (w/o quotes - means any
                    single digit) .... hence:
                    ^!Replace "^\d _UID .*(?:\$\Z)" >> "" rwais
                    (where I've added the leading ^ (means match only at beginning of line)
                    suggested by others.

                    I know that regular expression syntax can seem intimidating at first.
                    All of the [Help on Regular Expressions] (3rd entry down on Notetab-Help
                    is worth reading but I'd suggest first skimming first entry [Notetab and
                    PCRE] followed by 2nd last entry [PCRE Syntax Summary].

                    Bear in mind that some of the "stuff" described applies to programmers
                    who have direct access to PCRE internals (eg. Callouts and references to
                    PCRE functions such as pcre_dfa_exec() )

                    Hope this helps ... soon you will be providing help to others in this
                    group 8-)

                    > On 25 July 2011 22:05, Alec Burgess <buralex@...
                    > <mailto:buralex%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Just \R won't work if "1 _UID" appears on last line in file ... so ...
                    > > (not tested ;-) )
                    > > ^!Replace "1 _UID .*(?:\$\Z)" >> "" rwais
                    > > where \Z represents end-of-file or buffer
                    > >

                    > > On 2011-07-25 21:52, John Shotsky wrote:
                    > > > The problem is with \$ which says you are looking for a $ in the file.
                    > > Remove the slash and it will work. However, as
                    > > > written, it will leave blank lines for each of them. To prevent
                    > the blank
                    > > lines, use \R instead of $.
                    > > >
                    > > > Regards,
                    > > > John
                    > > >
                    > > > From:ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com

                  • Alec Burgess
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 25, 2011
                      Jane - OOPS! - I had typos in my first post and repeated them in my last;
                      Following *IS* tested and (unless Yahoo garbles it) should work:
                      ^!Replace "^\d _UID .*(?:\R|\Z)" >> "" rwais

                    • flo.gehrke
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 26, 2011
                        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

                        > The leading "^" forces the pattern match to start in column 1
                        > instead of anywhere in the line (although I think Flo said it
                        > doesn't work in NTB Pro).

                        Art,

                        No, I wouldn't say that. I suspect that's a misunderstanding that goes back to topic #21534 of 02/17/2011. The issue, in that case, was not '^' but the '{0,}' or '*' quantifier causing problems at the beginning of a line.

                        Nevertheless, we see different issues with '^' but they do not pertain to the context of the topic that is discussed here.

                        Regards,
                        Flo