Re: odd behavior in ^$StrAlign("Str";TextWidth;Alignment[;Pad=False])$ (added in v4.9)

  • flo.gehrke
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2011
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

      > Hi Flo,
      >
      > Don has already answered your question. But let me put my own spin on it...

      Don & Eb,

      Thanks for your replies!

      Now the penny has dropped for me. My point was that I was confused by Eb's statement...

      > (NT) parses "$1" as a literal dollar sign followed by the numeral 1.
      > A two character wide string.

      I misunderstood this sentence as if '$1' would loose its capability to work as a kind of variable. That is, it would have the same effect as writing...

      ^!Replace "^(\d+)" >> "^$StrAlign("XY";5;Right)$" RAWS

      which would end up with...

      ...XY data
      ...XY data
      ...XY data
      ...XY data

      without inserting any numbers. As a consequence of this misunderstanding I wondered: "Where do the numbers come from if it's only a string?".

      Thanks to your explanations it's clear now!

      Flo