Re: [Clip] Manage Forwarding Lists

    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 4 5:04 PM
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > I think it might be best if the six file names were stored
      > in an array, and an integrated clip were to loop six times.

      Possibly, but I'd choose a different approach. As you have to write down
      those six paths anyway, I'd make do without a formal loop and write the
      main code linearly for all six. Arrays and indices only invite hard to
      find mistakes. Clips does not have subroutines as programming languages
      do, it lacks the RETURN command, but unless I'm mistaken you can use
      what FORTRAN calls "assigned gotos", i.e:

      ^!Goto ^%return%

      So your main part would mainly consist of ^!Set directives and after
      setting the proper return points you call "subroutines" with ^!Goto.

      > Also, how does one force "save as" if the file name
      > is already in use?

      Save or close the offending second document first. You can swap the
      active focus with ^!Document [FIRST|LAST|NEXT|PREV]

      Axel
    • Eb
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 20 12:37 PM
        Hi Ray,

        I took a closer look at your code. There are several syntax problems.

        1. You _must_ use the "end" label in a subroutine clip (cvs)
        rather than "exit", if you want to return to the caller.
        Using the EXIT label ends execution right then
        and does NOT return to the caller.
        In other words:
        ^!Goto END

        2. Syntax error and redundant:
        a) ^!Setfocus ^%WorkingFile%.csv
        does nothing
        b) ^!SetFocus DOCUMENT
        would change focus to the document window,
        if it weren't already there from the ^!Open command
        The command, if correct, would be redundant.

        3. Confusing code in the destroy subroutine
        a. ^!Close "^&"
        closes the document in NoteTab, leaves disk file intact
        if you also want to delete the disk file, you could
        now use
        ^!DeleteFile filename
        or use the next command by itself
        b. ^!DestroyDoc "^&"
        closes open doc and sends the file to the recycle bin

        c. If the file is NOT open in NoteTab, use
        ^!DeleteFile filename

        4. Finally, your main cvs code does not make sense
        a. why bother to do any replacements in the old file,
        when you delete it in the next line?
        b. why save the new file before opening it?

        I suggest you start from scratch, by outlining the steps you would like to take, and then converting the individual steps to code.

        Cheers,

        Eb