Re: Running clip from shortcut

  • Eb
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2011
      Axel,

      There are only two ways to run a clip via key strokes, _without_ using a third-party keystroke itercpetor:

      1. NotTab is active and has an AutoReplace library loaded/enabled.
      You could for example have a clip named "Z", and when you
      type "Z," this clip executes. Words consisting of "Z" only
      are extremely rare ;-).

      2. NoteTab is running, with Clipboard capture enabled, but another
      app is active. You can use the OnClipboardChange event in
      NoteTab to run a clip. This makes it possible to run a clip
      in NoteTab without making NoteTab the active application.

      A NoteTab feature to intercept the keyboard and run a clip has been lobbied for unsuccessfully for years. Personally, I refuse to install yet another utility just to save a keystroke or two.

      Prost,

      Eb

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 4, 2011
        Alec Burgess wrote:
        > Sheri wrote a "package"

        Now that you remind me ...
        And I'm still a member of the custom clipkeys yahoo group. I decided
        then it was not for me. I often use things like that to work around
        other programs, often using NoteTab, but I rely on my main productive
        tool, i.e. NoteTab, to be sleek, reliable and self-contained. When that
        too becomes externally enhanced ther will be too many levels and blow my
        stack, being a simple-minded grandson of farmers, workmen and a sailor.

        My question mainly was to make sure I had not just overlooked something
        obvious and simple. I'll soon get used to doing things the NoteTab way.

        Danke
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2011
          Don wrote:
          > you have escape and name the clip a single character

          Exactly. A single character is out, as all my clip libraries are
          autoreplace. I have retained the start character "<" for TeX too, as
          it's far easier to type than TeX's customary "\" and made that clip
          "<<<".

          It will come naturally in a very short time I expect.

          Danke
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
            Eb wrote:
            > two ways to run a clip via key strokes,

            Thanks for the reminder. You're right, but I had not thought of those.

            > I refuse to install yet another utility just to save a keystroke

            Exactly my take on the issue. It would have been nice but is not worth
            hassling about.