Re: [Clip] Re: add commas in address string

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 4, 2011
      Hi
      have you tried the free version of PDF http://www.tracker-software.com/
      ???
      THANKYOU DAVE

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...>
      To: <ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 3:06 AM
      Subject: RE: [Clip] Re: add commas in address string

      > Don, thinking I might be able to use A-PDF Extractor, I tried it out. If
      > you have any hyphens or dashes in your source
      > document, they are all converted to the word 'minus' in the output text.
      > While that 'could' be fixed with a big global
      > F/R, it would then also remove any valid cases of the word 'minus' at the
      > same time. I did mention it to their tech
      > support.
      >
      > Here are a couple of extracted text lines:
      > Cover and cook on high for 30minus45 minutes
      > 1 scallion minusminus thinly sliced
      > 10 green onions, cut into 3minusinch pieces
      >
      > I tried all of the various output methods, but this is not affected by any
      > user options. This test was done on a 112
      > page document with hundreds to thousands of hyphens in the pdf text. Not
      > ONE hyphen remained in the output.
      >
      > Regards,
      > John

    • Eb
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 4, 2011
        Hi Flo,

        As a bit of trivia, while Wikepedia is correcet, we do indeed have nine digits in our postal code, hardly anyone knows what the last four digits are (except bulk mailers, who are required to use all nine digits in order to get the so-called "presorted-by-zip-code" discounts in mailing fees).

        The five-digit-only use will most likely remain in wide-spread use until those of us, who learned the original five digit sysytem in the 60's (?), are long gone, (or (whisper) until the post office starts to charge extra for not using all nine digits, or worse, does not deliver mail without it).

        Result: if one is to write software or clips to deal with zip codes (US Postal Codes), one will have to deal with both possibilities.

        Cheers

        Eb

        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Postal code:
        > > I need to replace the space in front of the first number with a comma
        > >
        > > State abbreviation:
        > > I need to replace the space in front of the first letter with a comma
        > >
        > > City :
        > > I need to replace the space in front of the first letter with a comma
        > >

        > > 125 N. Main Street City ST 11111
        > >
        > > Then I will paste into Excel
        >
        > I looked it up in Wiki and found that the US Postal Code is a nine-digit ZIP code, separated with '-' between position #5 and #6, and there are two spaces between state code and ZIP code -- isn't it?
        >
        > That is, in order to change a list of addresses like...
        >
        > 1500 E. Main Ave Springfield VA 22262-1010
        > 1500 E. Main Ave Springfield VA 22262-1010
        > 1500 E. Main Ave Springfield VA 22262-1010
        >
        > to...
        >
        > 1500 E. Main Ave,Springfield,VA,22262-1010
        > 1500 E. Main Ave,Springfield,VA,22262-1010
        > 1500 E. Main Ave,Springfield,VA,22262-1010
        >
        > you could try...
        >
        > ^!Replace "(?x-i)\x20{1,2} ( ((?=\d{5}-\d{4}$)) | ((?=[[:upper:]]{2},\d{5}-\d{4}$)) | ((?=\w{1,},[[:upper:]]{2},\d{5}-\d{4}$)) )" >> "," WARS
        > ; End of long line
        > ^!IfError End
        > ^!Goto Skip_-2
        >
        > It's written in Extended Mode to make the subpatterns more visible.
        >
        > Maybe it's more readable if we split the long alternation into three command lines...
        >
        > ; Match two spaces in front of ZIP code
        > ^!Replace "\x20{2}(?=\d{5}-\d{4}$)" >> "," WARS
        > ; Match one space in front of state code
        > ^!Replace "(?-i)\x20(?=[[:upper:]]{2},\d{5})" >> "," WARS
        > ; Match one space in front of city
        > ^!Replace "(?-i)\x20(?=\w{1,},[[:upper:]]{2},\d{5})" >> "," WARS
        >
        > Regards,
        > Flo

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 4, 2011
          As far as I can see, the free version can't export text. The only save option is pdf, and the only export option is
          'image'. Removed.

          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 4, 2011
            John Shotsky wrote:
            > Don, thinking I might be able to use A-PDF Extractor, I tried it out.

            I always use the command line tools from XPDF
            http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/home.html

            They do all they are menat to and quite reliably. I mostly notice lost
            spaces when copying and pasting from the Acrobat reader and can't say,
            if pdftotext is less prone to them. In principle it is rather difficult
            as said and forces progress to guess. some willbe better at guessing
            than others.

            Axel
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 5, 2011
              Hi
              just copy and paste any amount of text you want ??
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              > As far as I can see, the free version can't export text. The only save
              > option is pdf, and the only export option is
              > 'image'. Removed.
              >

              > Regards,
              >
              > John

            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 5, 2011
                That would only be 112 copies and pastes for one of my documents. Just a little easier to 'Save As' 'Text'. Besides,
                this thread was about pdf to text exporting that retained column information. Most PDF tools can actually save text, but
                most of them don't do it very well. A-PDF would be perfect, except for its glaring text error of spelling out the word
                'minus' instead of producing a '-'. Their feedback is that they don't have an earlier version, and they don't have an
                update. In other words minusminus they aren't going to fix it any time soon.

                just copy and paste any amount of text you want ??
                THANKYOU DAVE M

                > As far as I can see, the free version can't export text. The only save
                > option is pdf, and the only export option is
                > 'image'. Removed.
                >

                > Regards,
                >
                > John

              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 5, 2011
                  I, for one, always use all 9 digits. (And I'm from before there were even 5 digits!) The first five get you to an area,
                  the last 4 get to your house, apt, etc. If the 9 digits are present, your mail can be delivered even without a full
                  address present.

                  #5 and #6, and there are two spaces between state code and ZIP code -- isn't it?

                  > That is, in order to change a list of addresses like...
                  >
                  > 1500 E. Main Ave Springfield VA 22262-1010
                  > 1500 E. Main Ave Springfield VA 22262-1010
                  > 1500 E. Main Ave Springfield VA 22262-1010
                  >
                  > to...
                  >
                  > 1500 E. Main Ave,Springfield,VA,22262-1010
                  > 1500 E. Main Ave,Springfield,VA,22262-1010
                  > 1500 E. Main Ave,Springfield,VA,22262-1010
                  >
                  > you could try...
                  >
                  > ^!Replace "(?x-i)\x20{1,2} ( ((?=\d{5}-\d{4}$)) | ((?=[[:upper:]]{2},\d{5}-\d{4}$)) |
                  ((?=\w{1,},[[:upper:]]{2},\d{5}-\d{4}$)) )" >> "," WARS
                  > ; End of long line
                  > ^!IfError End
                  > ^!Goto Skip_-2
                  >
                  > It's written in Extended Mode to make the subpatterns more visible.
                  >
                  > Maybe it's more readable if we split the long alternation into three command lines...
                  >
                  > ; Match two spaces in front of ZIP code
                  > ^!Replace "\x20{2}(?=\d{5}-\d{4}$)" >> "," WARS
                  > ; Match one space in front of state code
                  > ^!Replace "(?-i)\x20(?=[[:upper:]]{2},\d{5})" >> "," WARS
                  > ; Match one space in front of city
                  > ^!Replace "(?-i)\x20(?=\w{1,},[[:upper:]]{2},\d{5})" >> "," WARS
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Flo

                • Eb
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 7, 2011
                    I have no defense for not using all 9 digits, other than that the PO has never officially issued me a plus four number <g>.

                    Besides, the PO places bar codes on all letters, if the originator didn't. This bar code seems to take precedence over zip+four.

                    Cheers,

                    Eb