Re: [Clip] Running clip from shortcut

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2011
      On 2011-07-04 01:20, Axel Berger wrote:
      > I am finally coming round to using NoteTab for LaTeX too, in spite of
      > the lack of highlighting. One very frequent action is commenting in and
      > out lines and I'm very much used to doing this through a shortcut. It is
      > easy to write a clip fpr doinf this in LaTeX syntax but I've not found a
      > way to invoke that clip through a keyboard shortcut. Having to do
      > without my most used shortcut would be a bother indeed.
      Axel: Sheri wrote a "package" consisting of some Notetab Clips together
      with some PowerPro macros that support keyboard shortcuts to invoke
      Notetab clips ...

      She's written an overview here:
      Have a look at her video referenced above.

      I participated in beta testing it with her and can testify it works but
      don't have it live on my system ... I more of a "mouser" than a
      "keyboarder" so don't find it useful for daily use.

      FWIW ... the group where she stashed the files at:
      but I don't know how many actually use it. If you do use it please post
      back to let us know your experience with it.

    • Don
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 4, 2011
        On 7/4/2011 1:20 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
        > I am finally coming round to using NoteTab for LaTeX too, in spite of
        > the lack of highlighting. One very frequent action is commenting in and
        > out lines and I'm very much used to doing this through a shortcut. It is
        > easy to write a clip fpr doinf this in LaTeX syntax but I've not found a
        > way to invoke that clip through a keyboard shortcut. Having to do
        > without my most used shortcut would be a bother indeed.
        >
        > Any way to achieve this?
        >
        > Danke
        > Axel

        Not sure if I understand -- you want the clip to be on a shortcut key?

        Of course you have escape and name the clip a single character ... and
        hit enter ... three keystrokes but I think it works, does it not? Also
        if it is the last used clip, you just hit escape, enter.

        Looking at help (not clip help) under shortcut keys it now says you can
        change shortcuts ... can you use that to your advantage?

        Am I missing your question entirely?
      • Eb
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2011
          Axel,

          There are only two ways to run a clip via key strokes, _without_ using a third-party keystroke itercpetor:

          1. NotTab is active and has an AutoReplace library loaded/enabled.
          You could for example have a clip named "Z", and when you
          type "Z," this clip executes. Words consisting of "Z" only
          are extremely rare ;-).

          2. NoteTab is running, with Clipboard capture enabled, but another
          app is active. You can use the OnClipboardChange event in
          NoteTab to run a clip. This makes it possible to run a clip
          in NoteTab without making NoteTab the active application.

          A NoteTab feature to intercept the keyboard and run a clip has been lobbied for unsuccessfully for years. Personally, I refuse to install yet another utility just to save a keystroke or two.

          Prost,

          Eb

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2011
            Alec Burgess wrote:
            > Sheri wrote a "package"

            Now that you remind me ...
            And I'm still a member of the custom clipkeys yahoo group. I decided
            then it was not for me. I often use things like that to work around
            other programs, often using NoteTab, but I rely on my main productive
            tool, i.e. NoteTab, to be sleek, reliable and self-contained. When that
            too becomes externally enhanced ther will be too many levels and blow my
            stack, being a simple-minded grandson of farmers, workmen and a sailor.

            My question mainly was to make sure I had not just overlooked something
            obvious and simple. I'll soon get used to doing things the NoteTab way.

            Danke
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2011
              Don wrote:
              > you have escape and name the clip a single character

              Exactly. A single character is out, as all my clip libraries are
              autoreplace. I have retained the start character "<" for TeX too, as
              it's far easier to type than TeX's customary "\" and made that clip
              "<<<".

              It will come naturally in a very short time I expect.

              Danke
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
                Eb wrote:
                > two ways to run a clip via key strokes,

                Thanks for the reminder. You're right, but I had not thought of those.

                > I refuse to install yet another utility just to save a keystroke

                Exactly my take on the issue. It would have been nice but is not worth
                hassling about.