Re: [Clip] Re: text lines to BBCode list

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
      diodeom wrote:
      > if the selection is stretched (for no good reason) to the
      > beginning of the next line below (instead of stopping on the
      > last character of the last desired line).

      No good reason may be, but it's what usually happens. I select lines by
      placing the cursor at the left margin and selecting with <Shift><Down>.
      There may be other ways to select lines, but not, I believe, simpler
      ones, unless using the mouse which I mostly avoid.

      Axel
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
        Axel:
        if I understand the "problem" here ... cursor winds up positioned at
        beginning of following line resulting in an unwanted \r\n and you don't
        want to use mouse

        how about: after getting to where you want to be with <shift>+<down>
        just key: <shift>+<left>

        Doesn't that get you where you want to be with only one extra keystroke?
        (move finger from <down> to <left> while continuing to hold down <Shift>

        On 2011-06-28 00:32, Axel Berger wrote:
        > diodeom wrote:
        > > if the selection is stretched (for no good reason) to the
        > > beginning of the next line below (instead of stopping on the
        > > last character of the last desired line).
        >
        > No good reason may be, but it's what usually happens. I select lines by
        > placing the cursor at the left margin and selecting with <Shift><Down>.
        > There may be other ways to select lines, but not, I believe, simpler
        > ones, unless using the mouse which I mostly avoid.
      • diodeom
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
          Axel Berger wrote:

          > No good reason may be, but it's what usually happens. I select lines by
          > placing the cursor at the left margin and selecting with <Shift><Down>.
          > There may be other ways to select lines, but not, I believe, simpler
          > ones, unless using the mouse which I mostly avoid.

          I believe a sensible no-mouse approach could be to hit the <Left> key once just as soon as you exceede a proper selection after punching your last <Down>.

          If I were to anticipate and compensate for any habitual or accidental imprecision of a user, I'd probably employ a broad set of conditionals rather than just assume and provide for a single flavor of innaccurate input, even if indeed usual. Please consider that your "slight error" correction produces incorrect results from correctly selected data.
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
            Alec Burgess wrote:
            > Doesn't that get you where you want to be with only one extra
            > keystroke?

            It would, if it were a problem. For all practical putposes I just
            remember that selecting blocks of complete lines makes the newline at
            the end of the last or single line part of the selection and write my
            clips accordingly. In the one case where I replace the newline by
            semicolon plus space I simply don't select the last line and am happy
            too.

            Thus for me, and I had assumed others, diodeom's clip had to changed in
            that one place.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
              diodeom wrote:
              > If I were to anticipate and compensate for any habitual or
              > accidental imprecision of a user,

              Right you are. I had assumed my way of doing it was the "normal" or
              natural way. If it isn't then my remark won't make much sense to most
              people.