Re: [Clip] Re: text lines to BBCode list

  • Don
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
      Wow! Do you need to turn off wordwrap for it to work?

      > With your multiple lines selected, this should suffice:
      >
      > ^!Replace "^" >> "[*]" HARS
      > ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$^p[/list]
    • diodeom
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:

        > Wow! Do you need to turn off wordwrap for it to work?

        Regex properly recognizes lines regardless of how they are displayed for our convenience.

        BTW, here's a seed "library" of tiny clips for common BB formatting of selected text:

        H="BB Bold"
        [b]^&[/b]

        H="BB Italicise"
        [i]^&[/i]

        H="BB Red"
        [color=red]^&[/color]

        ... etc.
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
          diodeom wrote:
          > ^!Replace "^" >> "[*]" HARS
          > ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$^p[/list]
          ^^
          Slight error here. The newline is part of the last selected line, so
          this should be:

          ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$[/list]^p

          (Tested, just to make sure I don't spout nonsense.)

          Axel
        • diodeom
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
            Axel Berger wrote:

            > diodeom wrote:
            > > ^!Replace "^" >> "[*]" HARS
            > > ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$^p[/list]
            >
            > Slight error here. The newline is part of the last selected line, so
            > this should be:
            >
            > ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$[/list]^p
            >
            > (Tested, just to make sure I don't spout nonsense.)

            It's no nonsense if the selection is stretched (for no good reason) to the beginning of the next line below (instead of stopping on the last character of the last desired line).
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
              diodeom wrote:
              > if the selection is stretched (for no good reason) to the
              > beginning of the next line below (instead of stopping on the
              > last character of the last desired line).

              No good reason may be, but it's what usually happens. I select lines by
              placing the cursor at the left margin and selecting with <Shift><Down>.
              There may be other ways to select lines, but not, I believe, simpler
              ones, unless using the mouse which I mostly avoid.

              Axel
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                Axel:
                if I understand the "problem" here ... cursor winds up positioned at
                beginning of following line resulting in an unwanted \r\n and you don't
                want to use mouse

                how about: after getting to where you want to be with <shift>+<down>
                just key: <shift>+<left>

                Doesn't that get you where you want to be with only one extra keystroke?
                (move finger from <down> to <left> while continuing to hold down <Shift>

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                  Axel Berger wrote:

                  > No good reason may be, but it's what usually happens. I select lines by
                  > placing the cursor at the left margin and selecting with <Shift><Down>.
                  > There may be other ways to select lines, but not, I believe, simpler
                  > ones, unless using the mouse which I mostly avoid.

                  I believe a sensible no-mouse approach could be to hit the <Left> key once just as soon as you exceede a proper selection after punching your last <Down>.

                  If I were to anticipate and compensate for any habitual or accidental imprecision of a user, I'd probably employ a broad set of conditionals rather than just assume and provide for a single flavor of innaccurate input, even if indeed usual. Please consider that your "slight error" correction produces incorrect results from correctly selected data.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                    Alec Burgess wrote:
                    > Doesn't that get you where you want to be with only one extra
                    > keystroke?

                    It would, if it were a problem. For all practical putposes I just
                    remember that selecting blocks of complete lines makes the newline at
                    the end of the last or single line part of the selection and write my
                    clips accordingly. In the one case where I replace the newline by
                    semicolon plus space I simply don't select the last line and am happy
                    too.

                    Thus for me, and I had assumed others, diodeom's clip had to changed in
                    that one place.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                      diodeom wrote:
                      > If I were to anticipate and compensate for any habitual or
                      > accidental imprecision of a user,

                      Right you are. I had assumed my way of doing it was the "normal" or
                      natural way. If it isn't then my remark won't make much sense to most
                      people.