Re: text lines to BBCode list

  • diodeom
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "CR" <chuckr69@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I would like a clip library to change multiple lines of plain text, into a BBCode numbered list. Many forum softwares do not properly change selected lines of text to a properly formatted BBCode list. So I would like this highlighted text:
      >
      > one
      > two
      > three
      > four
      > five
      >
      > changed to this:
      > [LIST=1]
      > [*]one
      > [*]two
      > [*]three
      > [*]four
      > [*]five
      > [/LIST]

      With your multiple lines selected, this should suffice:

      ^!Replace "^" >> "[*]" HARS
      ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$^p[/list]
    • Don
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
        Wow! Do you need to turn off wordwrap for it to work?

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:

          > Wow! Do you need to turn off wordwrap for it to work?

          Regex properly recognizes lines regardless of how they are displayed for our convenience.

          BTW, here's a seed "library" of tiny clips for common BB formatting of selected text:

          H="BB Bold"
          [b]^&[/b]

          H="BB Italicise"
          [i]^&[/i]

          H="BB Red"
          [color=red]^&[/color]

          ... etc.
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
            diodeom wrote:
            > ^!Replace "^" >> "[*]" HARS
            > ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$^p[/list]
            ^^
            Slight error here. The newline is part of the last selected line, so
            this should be:

            ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$[/list]^p

            (Tested, just to make sure I don't spout nonsense.)

            Axel
          • diodeom
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
              Axel Berger wrote:

              > diodeom wrote:
              > > ^!Replace "^" >> "[*]" HARS
              > > ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$^p[/list]
              >
              > Slight error here. The newline is part of the last selected line, so
              > this should be:
              >
              > ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$[/list]^p
              >
              > (Tested, just to make sure I don't spout nonsense.)

              It's no nonsense if the selection is stretched (for no good reason) to the beginning of the next line below (instead of stopping on the last character of the last desired line).
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
                diodeom wrote:
                > if the selection is stretched (for no good reason) to the
                > beginning of the next line below (instead of stopping on the
                > last character of the last desired line).

                No good reason may be, but it's what usually happens. I select lines by
                placing the cursor at the left margin and selecting with <Shift><Down>.
                There may be other ways to select lines, but not, I believe, simpler
                ones, unless using the mouse which I mostly avoid.

                Axel
              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                  Axel:
                  if I understand the "problem" here ... cursor winds up positioned at
                  beginning of following line resulting in an unwanted \r\n and you don't
                  want to use mouse

                  how about: after getting to where you want to be with <shift>+<down>
                  just key: <shift>+<left>

                  Doesn't that get you where you want to be with only one extra keystroke?
                  (move finger from <down> to <left> while continuing to hold down <Shift>

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                    Axel Berger wrote:

                    > No good reason may be, but it's what usually happens. I select lines by
                    > placing the cursor at the left margin and selecting with <Shift><Down>.
                    > There may be other ways to select lines, but not, I believe, simpler
                    > ones, unless using the mouse which I mostly avoid.

                    I believe a sensible no-mouse approach could be to hit the <Left> key once just as soon as you exceede a proper selection after punching your last <Down>.

                    If I were to anticipate and compensate for any habitual or accidental imprecision of a user, I'd probably employ a broad set of conditionals rather than just assume and provide for a single flavor of innaccurate input, even if indeed usual. Please consider that your "slight error" correction produces incorrect results from correctly selected data.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                      Alec Burgess wrote:
                      > Doesn't that get you where you want to be with only one extra
                      > keystroke?

                      It would, if it were a problem. For all practical putposes I just
                      remember that selecting blocks of complete lines makes the newline at
                      the end of the last or single line part of the selection and write my
                      clips accordingly. In the one case where I replace the newline by
                      semicolon plus space I simply don't select the last line and am happy
                      too.

                      Thus for me, and I had assumed others, diodeom's clip had to changed in
                      that one place.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                        diodeom wrote:
                        > If I were to anticipate and compensate for any habitual or
                        > accidental imprecision of a user,

                        Right you are. I had assumed my way of doing it was the "normal" or
                        natural way. If it isn't then my remark won't make much sense to most
                        people.