text lines to BBCode list

  • CR
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
      Hi,
      I would like a clip library to change multiple lines of plain text, into a BBCode numbered list. Many forum softwares do not properly change selected lines of text to a properly formatted BBCode list. So I would like this highlighted text:

      one
      two
      three
      four
      five

      changed to this:
      [LIST=1]
      [*]one
      [*]two
      [*]three
      [*]four
      [*]five
      [/LIST]

      I looked on the Notetab website clip libraries and did not see anything for BBCode.

      Thanks.
    • Don
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
        Just adapt the list from html ... I think insert text instead of
        inserthtml and hten change what is inserted.

        ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 FormatSelection
        ^!Set %Count%=^?{How many items?=1|2|_3|4|5|6|7|8|9}
        ^!InsertHtml <^&>^P^$StrFill(" <LI></LI>^P";^%Count%)$</^&>^P
        ^!Goto End

        :FormatSelection
        ^!Select PARAGRAPHS
        ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
        ^!SetArray %Items%=^$GetSelection$

        ^!Set %Indent%=" "
        ^!Set %GroupIndent%=""
        ^!Set %IndentSize%=^$Calc(^$StrSize("^%Items1%!")$ -
        ^$StrSize("^$StrTrim("^%Items1%!")$")$)$
        ^!If ^%IndentSize% > 0 ^!Set
        %Indent%=^$StrCopy("^%Items1%";1;^%IndentSize%)$
        ^!If ^%IndentSize% > 2 ^!Set
        %GroupIndent%=^$StrCopy("^%Indent%";1;^$Calc(^%IndentSize% - 2)$)$

        ^!Set %Index%=1; %ItemsCount%=^%Items0%; %ListStr%=^%GroupIndent%<^&>^P

        :StartLoop
        ^!If ^%Index% > ^%ItemsCount% EndLoop
        ^!Set %Line%=^$StrTrim("^%Items^%Index%%")$

        ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^%Line%")$ Next ELSE Skip
        ^!If ^%Index% = ^%ItemsCount% EndLoop

        ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty("^%Line%")$ ^!Set %Line%=^%Indent%<LI>^%Line%</LI>
        ^!Set %ListStr%=^%ListStr%^%Line%^P
        ^!Inc %Index%
        ^!Goto StartLoop

        :EndLoop
        ^!InsertHtml ^%ListStr%^%GroupIndent%</^&>^P

        On 6/27/2011 10:25 AM, CR wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I would like a clip library to change multiple lines of plain text, into a BBCode numbered list. Many forum softwares do not properly change selected lines of text to a properly formatted BBCode list. So I would like this highlighted text:
        >
        > one
        > two
        > three
        > four
        > five
        >
        > changed to this:
        > [LIST=1]
        > [*]one
        > [*]two
        > [*]three
        > [*]four
        > [*]five
        > [/LIST]
        >
        > I looked on the Notetab website clip libraries and did not see anything for BBCode.
        >
        > Thanks.

      • diodeom
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "CR" <chuckr69@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I would like a clip library to change multiple lines of plain text, into a BBCode numbered list. Many forum softwares do not properly change selected lines of text to a properly formatted BBCode list. So I would like this highlighted text:
          >
          > one
          > two
          > three
          > four
          > five
          >
          > changed to this:
          > [LIST=1]
          > [*]one
          > [*]two
          > [*]three
          > [*]four
          > [*]five
          > [/LIST]

          With your multiple lines selected, this should suffice:

          ^!Replace "^" >> "[*]" HARS
          ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$^p[/list]
        • Don
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
            Wow! Do you need to turn off wordwrap for it to work?

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:

              > Wow! Do you need to turn off wordwrap for it to work?

              Regex properly recognizes lines regardless of how they are displayed for our convenience.

              BTW, here's a seed "library" of tiny clips for common BB formatting of selected text:

              H="BB Bold"
              [b]^&[/b]

              H="BB Italicise"
              [i]^&[/i]

              H="BB Red"
              [color=red]^&[/color]

              ... etc.
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
                diodeom wrote:
                > ^!Replace "^" >> "[*]" HARS
                > ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$^p[/list]
                ^^
                Slight error here. The newline is part of the last selected line, so
                this should be:

                ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$[/list]^p

                (Tested, just to make sure I don't spout nonsense.)

                Axel
              • diodeom
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
                  Axel Berger wrote:

                  > diodeom wrote:
                  > > ^!Replace "^" >> "[*]" HARS
                  > > ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$^p[/list]
                  >
                  > Slight error here. The newline is part of the last selected line, so
                  > this should be:
                  >
                  > ^!InsertText [list=1]^p^$GetSelection$[/list]^p
                  >
                  > (Tested, just to make sure I don't spout nonsense.)

                  It's no nonsense if the selection is stretched (for no good reason) to the beginning of the next line below (instead of stopping on the last character of the last desired line).
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
                    diodeom wrote:
                    > if the selection is stretched (for no good reason) to the
                    > beginning of the next line below (instead of stopping on the
                    > last character of the last desired line).

                    No good reason may be, but it's what usually happens. I select lines by
                    placing the cursor at the left margin and selecting with <Shift><Down>.
                    There may be other ways to select lines, but not, I believe, simpler
                    ones, unless using the mouse which I mostly avoid.

                    Axel
                  • Alec Burgess
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                      Axel:
                      if I understand the "problem" here ... cursor winds up positioned at
                      beginning of following line resulting in an unwanted \r\n and you don't
                      want to use mouse

                      how about: after getting to where you want to be with <shift>+<down>
                      just key: <shift>+<left>

                      Doesn't that get you where you want to be with only one extra keystroke?
                      (move finger from <down> to <left> while continuing to hold down <Shift>

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                        Axel Berger wrote:

                        > No good reason may be, but it's what usually happens. I select lines by
                        > placing the cursor at the left margin and selecting with <Shift><Down>.
                        > There may be other ways to select lines, but not, I believe, simpler
                        > ones, unless using the mouse which I mostly avoid.

                        I believe a sensible no-mouse approach could be to hit the <Left> key once just as soon as you exceede a proper selection after punching your last <Down>.

                        If I were to anticipate and compensate for any habitual or accidental imprecision of a user, I'd probably employ a broad set of conditionals rather than just assume and provide for a single flavor of innaccurate input, even if indeed usual. Please consider that your "slight error" correction produces incorrect results from correctly selected data.
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                          Alec Burgess wrote:
                          > Doesn't that get you where you want to be with only one extra
                          > keystroke?

                          It would, if it were a problem. For all practical putposes I just
                          remember that selecting blocks of complete lines makes the newline at
                          the end of the last or single line part of the selection and write my
                          clips accordingly. In the one case where I replace the newline by
                          semicolon plus space I simply don't select the last line and am happy
                          too.

                          Thus for me, and I had assumed others, diodeom's clip had to changed in
                          that one place.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                            diodeom wrote:
                            > If I were to anticipate and compensate for any habitual or
                            > accidental imprecision of a user,

                            Right you are. I had assumed my way of doing it was the "normal" or
                            natural way. If it isn't then my remark won't make much sense to most
                            people.