What's the path?

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2011
      This should be simple, but I can't find a straightforward way to do it in the help files.

      I want the path only from the active document. There is a command to get the active doc, but then I have to trim off the
      document name to be left with the path. Is there a way to simply get the path of the active document? The reason for
      this requirement is that other files are expected to exist in the same folder, so the clips need to identify the path
      and append the other file names for specific purposes. I know I can dig it out and store it to a variable, I was just
      wondering if there's a way to simply get the path in any clip.

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2011
        John Shotsky wrote:
        > This should be simple, but I can't find a straightforward way to do
        > it in the help files.
        >

        > I want the path only from the active document. There is a command to
        > get the active doc, but then I have to trim off the document name to
        > be left with the path. Is there a way to simply get the path of the
        > active document? The reason for this requirement is that other files
        > are expected to exist in the same folder, so the clips need to
        > identify the path and append the other file names for specific
        > purposes. I know I can dig it out and store it to a variable, I was
        > just wondering if there's a way to simply get the path in any clip.
        >

        > John

        John,

        This should be your answer!

        In NoteTab Help...

        $GetPath(FileName)$

        Returns the path segment of FileName (always ends with backslash).
        Since version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and
        URLs.

        ¤• JD#...164 - ¤• SL...1305 - 11.06.13~00.32.34

        • The Sooner You Fall Behind
        • The More Time You'll Have To Catch Up.

        € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com~
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2011
          Yes, I saw that, but then I need a token for the filename, which is also unknown. I want to know the path for the current document, whatever its name might be. I do use FocusDoc to make sure the current document is in focus, but GetDocName gets the name and path together. Then I have to strip off the file name and replace it with another one. THAT is what I was trying to avoid.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 13, 2011
            I figured it out, it just wasn't clear to me how to do it. The help is of very little value in understanding how GetDocName is supposed to function .

            To get the path without the file name, you use:
            ^!Set %Path%=^$GetPath(^$GetDocName$)$

            Thanks,
            John