Re: [Clip] Searching with Boolean Expressions

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 14 , May 16, 2011
      On 5/16/2011 9:40 AM, flo.gehrke wrote:
      > However, I can't see how to limit the AR output to file names only when run from the command line. Is anyone working with that tool and could give me a helping hand?

      It looks like you can suppress content lines with -ocn

      With that option specified, you get file names and file properties. To
      get file names only, you'd still need to manipulate the result, but
      you'd be loading and acting upon a smaller source document.

    • flo.gehrke
      Message 2 of 14 , May 16, 2011

        > FWIW here are a few observations that might help speed up the
        > NoteTab part of it...

        Sheri,

        Thanks for your reply!

        Following your advice, the clip is much faster when written as...

        ^!Set %Expr%=^?{Enter Boolean Expression:}
        ^!ShellWait "E:\Agent Ransack\AgentRansack.exe" -o "E:\Notetab\Documents\MyAgent.txt" -oft -d "E:\Notetab\Documents" -c "^%Expr%" -ceb
        ^!InsertFile "E:\Notetab\Documents\MyAgent.txt"
        ^!Select All
        ^!InsertText ^$GetDocListAll("^E:.+\.txt";"$0\r\n")$

        It's even faster with the -ocn operator you mentioned. In this case, we just have to remove file size, date, and time from the output if necessary...

        ^!Set %Expr%=^?{Enter Boolean Expression:}
        ^!ShellWait "E:\Agent Ransack\AgentRansack.exe" -o "E:\Notetab\Documents\MyAgent.txt" -oft -d "E:\Notetab\Documents" -c "^%Expr%" -ceb -ocn
        ^!InsertFile "E:\Notetab\Documents\MyAgent.txt"
        ^!Replace "^E:.+\.txt\K.+$" >> "" WARS

        Another advantage would be if we could avoid that output file (MyAgent.txt) and insert the result directly into NT. But there seems to be no way to do that, isn't it?

        Regards,
        Flo
      • diodeom
        Message 3 of 14 , May 16, 2011
          Flo wrote:

          > (...) Say, we want to find all files (names only) matching
          > the Boolean expression
          >
          > 'apples NOT (oranges OR bananas)'

          Possibly for many tasks the good old findstr could be a straightforward alternative, where any needed filtering is either piped to another cmd or delegated to cozy string manipulations of NoteTab/PCRE.

          To address the given Boolean case (that I have a really hard time imagining in practical application :), here's a sample compromise (with superfluous refinements left out for clarity):

          ^!ChDir E:\Notetab\Documents
          ^!InsertSelect ^$GetOutput(cmd.exe /c findstr "apples" *.txt |findstr /v "oranges bananas")$
          ^$GetDocListAll("^[^:]++";$0\r\n)$

          BTW, findstr is no slouch when it comes to basic RegEx searches through piles of files -- and it's not limited to plain text either.
        • flo.gehrke
          Message 4 of 14 , May 17, 2011
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "diodeom" <diomir@...> wrote:

            > Possibly for many tasks the good old findstr could be a
            > straightforward alternative...

            diodeom,

            Thanks for your pointing out FINDSTR and your clip!

            In the past, we discussed many aspects of FINDSTR as an alternative to Search Disk. In my database, the oldest record is from Jane, 7/31/2007, #16823. In case you are interested to follow those discussions you may start with #19253 for example.

            As an DOS-alternative to FINDSTR we also tested BFIND (#19276).

            But, finally, I think Agent Ransack has proved itself the most efficient tool for tasks like that.

            Testing your clip I get no correct result. I created six short files (name / contents, using 'aaaaa' etc not to mix it up with other files in that directory):

            anthony.txt / aaaaa
            bertha.txt / ooooo
            carla.txt / bbbbb
            elsa.txt / aaaaa ooooo
            fred.txt / ooooo bbbbb
            george.txt / aaaaa bbbbb

            According with those contents, I changed your clip to...

            ^!ChDir E:\Notetab\Documents
            ^!InsertSelect ^$GetOutput(cmd.exe /c findstr "aaaaa" *.txt |findstr /v "ooooo bbbbb")$
            ^$GetDocListAll("^[^:]++";$0\r\n)$

            This ends up in an empty document. Without the third line the output is...

            notetab.txt: (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa()
            pcre.txt: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
            pcre.txt: (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa()

            What's wrong with that?

            Moreover -- as far as I can see -- FINDSTR offers no Boolean NOT and no parentheses. So how could you define an exclusion like 'x NOT (y OR z)'?

            Flo
          • flo.gehrke
            Message 5 of 14 , May 17, 2011

              > This ends up in an empty document. Without the third line the
              > output is...
              >
              > notetab.txt: (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa()
              > pcre.txt: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
              > pcre.txt: (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa()

              I have to add...

              A long 'aaaa...' string is occurring in the two files that are being output (notetab.txt, pcre.txt). When moving those two files to another directory the output is completely empty. That is, no one of those six files is being selected whereas my Agent Ransack clips provide correct results.

              Flo
            • diodeom
              Message 6 of 14 , May 17, 2011
                Flo wrote:

                > Testing your clip I get no correct result. I created six short files (name / contents, using 'aaaaa' etc not to mix it up with other files in that directory):
                >
                > anthony.txt / aaaaa
                > bertha.txt / ooooo
                > carla.txt / bbbbb
                > elsa.txt / aaaaa ooooo
                > fred.txt / ooooo bbbbb
                > george.txt / aaaaa bbbbb

                Try placing at least a carriage return at each end of your sample content. Without a wholesome line to work on findstr "aaaaa" by itself produces bunched-up results in one line (anthony.txt:aaaaaelsa.txt:aaaaa ooooogeorge.txt:aaaaa bbbbb). The subsequent findstr /v "ooooo bbbbb" attempts to locate a line that *does not* contain either "ooooo" or "bbbbb" -- and obviously fails.
              • Art Kocsis
                Message 7 of 14 , May 17, 2011
                  At 05/17/2011 04:29, you wrote:
                  >--- In <mailto:ntb-clips%40yahoogroups.com>ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com,
                  >"diodeom" <diomir@...> wrote:
                  > > Possibly for many tasks the good old findstr could be a
                  > > straightforward alternative...
                  >diodeom,
                  >
                  >Thanks for your pointing out FINDSTR and your clip!
                  Ditto diodeom,. My development was interrupted at DOS and I was not even aware
                  of FINDSTR. I have just used FIND and tried to work around its limitations.
                  I really
                  need to spend some time looking over the XP commands!

                  >Moreover -- as far as I can see -- FINDSTR offers no Boolean NOT and no
                  >parentheses. So how could you define an exclusion like 'x NOT (y OR z)'?
                  >Flo

                  Flo, the answer your question re exclusions is logical equivalences.

                  Your expression is actually: x AND (NOT (y OR z))

                  The logical equivalent of "NOT (y OR z)" is "(NOT y) AND (NOT z)" so your
                  expression becomes "x AND (NOT y) AND (NOT z)"

                  So to accomplish your expression use FINDSTR three times - once to
                  extract all "x"s, then to exclude all "y"s and finally to exclude all "z"s
                  piping the output each time to the next step. Each pipe is like an AND.

                  findstr x | findstr /v y | findstr /v z

                  Namaste', Art
                • diodeom
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 17, 2011
                    Art wrote:

                    > So to accomplish your expression use FINDSTR three times - once to
                    > extract all "x"s, then to exclude all "y"s and finally to exclude all "z"s
                    > piping the output each time to the next step. Each pipe is like an AND.
                    >
                    > findstr x | findstr /v y | findstr /v z

                    One can find lines not containing y's or z's in one shot by findstr /v "y z" where the space serves as OR in this notation. (By contrast, the following locates any lines without the literal "y z" string: findstr /v /c:"y z")
                  • flo.gehrke
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 17, 2011
                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "diodeom" <diomir@...> wrote:

                      > Try placing at least a carriage return at each end of your
                      > sample content.

                      diodeom,

                      Yes, it's working with an additional CRNL. Also I can see the excluding effect now.

                      May I tax your patience with another question? Does FINDSTR allow even more complex Boolean expressions? A next stage would be to add a third criterion and to exclude combined criteria. Given another file henry.txt...

                      aaaaa
                      bbbbb
                      ccccc

                      Now we want to find 'aaaaa' but exclude files containing 'bbbbb' and 'ccccc'. With Agent Ransack, it works with...

                      'aaaaa NOT (bbbbb AND ccccc)'

                      The correct output will be anthony.txt, elsa.txt, and george.txt.

                      Thanks also to Art Kocsis! Possibly, Art has explained this already but I can't see how to formulate it with FINDSTR.

                      So far, I didn't test it with a greater amount of files. But I'm sure that FINDSTR would be faster -- at least for simple evaluations. On the other hand, Agent Ransack might provide an easier solution.

                      Flo
                    • John Shotsky
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 17, 2011
                        It's funny, I never thought much about Findstr before I learned regex. Now, when I see what all it can do, I think there
                        are a lot of possibilities in my clips. Here's Microsoft's reference page:

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 17, 2011
                          Flo wrote:

                          > Now we want to find 'aaaaa' but exclude files containing 'bbbbb' and 'ccccc'. With Agent Ransack, it works with...
                          >
                          > 'aaaaa NOT (bbbbb AND ccccc)'

                          Findstr operates in the context of individual lines within files, so to implement "aaaaa NOT (bbbbb AND ccccc)" for entire files, I'd probably (at first glance) build the list of files containing "aaaaa" first:

                          findstr /m aaaaa

                          Then remove dupes, preserve the remnants for the last step and look among them for the first condition of exclusion:

                          findstr /m bbbbb

                          And then among the resulting list of files for the second condition:

                          findstr /m cccccc

                          Where I'd simply end up with any filenames to remove from the first list.

                          Achieving it with a single fancy long-winded call to cmd is probably not for the faint of heart, so I'd either make a .bat or just let Clip manipulate variables and act as glue between the blazing searches.

                          To answer your question, Flo, I don't see an AND provision within the Findstr itself, but command redirection operators (&, &&, | and ||) afford plenty of Boolean logic.
                        • Art Kocsis
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 17, 2011
                            Duh! I need more sleep. Or need to grow younger.
                            I had just read that an hour earlier.
                            In one eye and out the hole in my head!!!

                            Art