Bug, Feature, or Idiosycrasy?

    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2011
      There is one slightly baffling phenomenon I've come acroos several times
      now. When working with ANSI coded text from various sources (PDF, OCR,
      DOC) I sometimes want to convert special characters. The last time it
      was the guillemots, \xAB and \xBB or » and «.

      When I make the clip by copying and pasting the characters from the text
      to get

      ^!Replace "»" >> ""`" WASTI

      nothing is found and nothing replaced. The alternative

      ^!Replace "\xBB" >> ""`" WRASTI

      works fine. Is there any explanation for this behaviour?

      N.B: The simple copying of characters to the clip sometimes works and
      sometimes doesn't. I can see no rhyme, reason, or regularity in when it
      does and when it doesn't.

      Danke

      Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2011
        I use those characters all the time in my clips, as placeholders, and replace with them often. I've never experienced a
        problem with them. You might try escaping them in your clip to see if that changes the behavior.

        <http://recipetools.gotdns.com/> RecipeTools site

        <http://shotsky.gotdns.com/index.htm> Beaverton Weather

        D-51519 Odenthal-Heide eMail: Axel-Berger@... <mailto:Axel-Berger%40Nexgo.De>

        Message 3 of 3 , May 18, 2011
          John Shotsky wrote:
          > I use those characters all the time in my clips, as placeholders,
          > and replace with them often. I've never experienced a
          > problem with them.

          As I said, it's only very few that won't work right. I had noticed
          before, that they all work fine when copied into the menu dialog but not
          when copied into a clip. Of the following six replacements, five work,
          the third doesn't.

          ^!Replace "¨O" >> "|" WASI
          ^!Replace "¡®" >> "'" WASI
          ^!Replace "¨C" >> "--" WASI
          ^!Replace "¡ª" >> "---" WASI
          ^!Replace "¨ù" >> "=" WASI
          ^!Replace "¡¯" >> "'" WASI

          > You might try escaping them in your clip to see if that
          > changes the behavior.

          There's no escaping in non-regex.