[Clip] Re: Clip Error Question

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2011

      > My question wasn't really so much about how to fix this problem, but to tell me if I was doing something wrong. I don't
      > think I am or I wouldn't have written.

      I can't say if the pattern is wrong since I don't know what you mean it to match. The replace command as written looks ok except that the T option is not applicable to a replace command that is a regex.

      See if it happens on NoteTab Standard or Light. As documented in the regex.chm file, Notetab Pro does do extra processing when the first character of a pattern used in a clip is a caret.

      Other than that, over the years I have occasionally had a clip library become corrupted somehow. Try copying the clips to another library and see if still recurs.

      If it only happens on your computer, it could also possibly be hardware related. I was not able to reproduce.

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2011
        I tried copying to a completely new document with a different name, and got the same problem. I removed the T with no
        change.

        The pattern is irrevalent. It doesn't matter what is in the text file, even just a few words is sufficient to cause the
        problem. I just tried it with a blank doc and got the same error. But, the pattern is LLLLNNL, case insensitive, which
        is a Prodigy ID.

        My clip library is over 900K, which may play into it. It will be reduced by about 1/3 as I finish rewriting it. The
        funny part is that if I copy just the active lines to a new clip, it doesn't happen. And, if I either remove the caret,
        or enclose the first range in parens, the problem is gone.

        I don't have another version installed, and don't want to upset my install by installing another version. I'm on Win7-64
        bit. 8G memory, Quad core.

        <http://recipetools.gotdns.com/> RecipeTools site

        <http://shotsky.gotdns.com/index.htm> Beaverton Weather

        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2011
          This problem has been solved, with the excellent detective work of Dio. The cause of the problem occurs in a line that
          is after the GoTo Exit that I placed to stop operation, which is why I would not have looked past that point. In this
          case, that other line has a caret inside a character class:

          ^!Replace "\b(\d{3})[\"\'\*~\^](\x20|\.|\))" >> "$1°$2" ARSTW

          That character, just by being before the ], and even though it is escaped, causes NT to misconstrue the ], which then
          causes the problem way upstream. The solution is to use the hex notation, or move the caret away from the ]. Apparently,
          NT reads the entire clip library, and somehow gets confused with that caret in that location.

          If you're wondering what that clip does, it replaces some of the different symbols I've found that people use for the
          degree symbol in recipes with the real degree symbol. Others are fixed at the character level, but these need context to
          detect them.

          Thanks again Dio and all,

          John