Re: [Clip] Re: Strange behaviour of drop-down

  • Robert Bull
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
      On Monday, April 11, 2011, 10:38:22 PM, Eb wrote:

      E> NoteTab is selectively case sensitive in clipnames. If more than
      E> one clip matches a key combinaation, it is case sensitive.

      I'm not saying that it isn't in Help, but I didn't spot it. Actually,
      I've found Help to be more cryptic than I'd expect from its quite
      large size, and harder to find things in than I'd like. Hence, the
      mailing list is a very useful resource...

      --
      Thanks,

      Robert Bull
      mailto:barlennan@...
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
        Art Kocsis wrote:
        > Although your clips works (just not the way you thought it
        > should) and is clear and maintainable, it is not scalable, is not
        > generalized and is quite lengthy. I would suggest using arrays.
        > Set one array to the valuelist in your wizard and use the array in
        > the wizard (and use option T=L,H=10 or 20 to display multiple
        > choices and restricts the selection to list values), create
        > another array with the corresponding desired outputs. After the
        > wizard completes, scan the valuelist using the input result to
        > find the index of the user selection which will be the
        > corresponding index of the desired output. This separates the clip
        > logic from the clip data and makes it easily reusable.

        True, but it makes things more complicated. Actually the NoteTab wizard
        offers a better solution, you can select one thing and load the variable
        with another (It is very well hidden in help and I tend to foget and go
        the ^!If way too most of the time):

        ^!Set %smiley%=^?[smiley==Grin^=^%SC%D|_Smiley^=^%COLON%)]
        ^!InsertText ^%smiley%

        Axel
      • Art Kocsis
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
          Hey Axel,

          Complexity is relative. Indvidual tests for lists of 150+ items is
          not something I want to contemplate (or debug-typos), but you
          are right. In general most lists are smaller and separate tests
          work fine. As an old school programmer, I tend to like compact
          elegant code and try to make my clips generalized so they can
          be reused.

          However, your suggestion to use the wizard like a Javascript
          <options> list is much "mo' betta" than either of the above. And
          a long valuelist can easily be generated by appending sequential
          numbers (and separators), that the wizard will return as an index.
          I will have to remember that one. Ah. There's the rub - remembering!

          Namaste', Art

          At 04/13/2011 09:21, you wrote:
          >Art Kocsis wrote:
          > > Although your clips works (just not the way you thought it
          > > should) and is clear and maintainable, it is not scalable, is not
          > > generalized and is quite lengthy. I would suggest using arrays.
          > > Set one array to the valuelist in your wizard and use the array in
          > > the wizard (and use option T=L,H=10 or 20 to display multiple
          > > choices and restricts the selection to list values), create
          > > another array with the corresponding desired outputs. After the
          > > wizard completes, scan the valuelist using the input result to
          > > find the index of the user selection which will be the
          > > corresponding index of the desired output. This separates the clip
          > > logic from the clip data and makes it easily reusable.
          >
          >True, but it makes things more complicated. Actually the NoteTab wizard
          >offers a better solution, you can select one thing and load the variable
          >with another (It is very well hidden in help and I tend to foget and go
          >the ^!If way too most of the time):
          >
          >^!Set %smiley%=^?[smiley==Grin^=^%SC%D|_Smiley^=^%COLON%)]
          >^!InsertText ^%smiley%
          >
          >Axel

        • Robert Bull
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
            On Wednesday, April 13, 2011, 7:21:32 PM, Art Kocsis wrote:

            AK> I will have to remember that one. Ah. There's the rub -
            AK> remembering!

            Make it an entry in an NTP OTL file?

            :) <whistles innocently>

            Robert Bull