Re: [Clip] Strange behaviour of drop-down

  • Robert Bull
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
      On Sunday, April 10, 2011, 11:59:09 PM, Axel Berger wrote:

      >> Do you mean "with" rather than "without?"

      AB> Certainly not. Coming from the top your clip looks at each ^!If in order
      AB> and whenever the answer is no, it moves to the next line. There was not
      AB> supposed to be a case when all the ifs were negative, but when it
      AB> happened the code went on going to the next line and running into the
      AB> first of your smileys. It is good practice in programming, especially

      Ah, yes, I see what you meant now. Thanks for clarifying.

      Robert Bull
      mailto:barlennan@...
    • Robert Bull
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
        On Monday, April 11, 2011, 10:38:22 PM, Eb wrote:

        E> NoteTab is selectively case sensitive in clipnames. If more than
        E> one clip matches a key combinaation, it is case sensitive.

        I'm not saying that it isn't in Help, but I didn't spot it. Actually,
        I've found Help to be more cryptic than I'd expect from its quite
        large size, and harder to find things in than I'd like. Hence, the
        mailing list is a very useful resource...

        --
        Thanks,

        Robert Bull
        mailto:barlennan@...
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
          Art Kocsis wrote:
          > Although your clips works (just not the way you thought it
          > should) and is clear and maintainable, it is not scalable, is not
          > generalized and is quite lengthy. I would suggest using arrays.
          > Set one array to the valuelist in your wizard and use the array in
          > the wizard (and use option T=L,H=10 or 20 to display multiple
          > choices and restricts the selection to list values), create
          > another array with the corresponding desired outputs. After the
          > wizard completes, scan the valuelist using the input result to
          > find the index of the user selection which will be the
          > corresponding index of the desired output. This separates the clip
          > logic from the clip data and makes it easily reusable.

          True, but it makes things more complicated. Actually the NoteTab wizard
          offers a better solution, you can select one thing and load the variable
          with another (It is very well hidden in help and I tend to foget and go
          the ^!If way too most of the time):

          ^!Set %smiley%=^?[smiley==Grin^=^%SC%D|_Smiley^=^%COLON%)]
          ^!InsertText ^%smiley%

          Axel
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
            Hey Axel,

            Complexity is relative. Indvidual tests for lists of 150+ items is
            not something I want to contemplate (or debug-typos), but you
            are right. In general most lists are smaller and separate tests
            work fine. As an old school programmer, I tend to like compact
            elegant code and try to make my clips generalized so they can
            be reused.

            However, your suggestion to use the wizard like a Javascript
            <options> list is much "mo' betta" than either of the above. And
            a long valuelist can easily be generated by appending sequential
            numbers (and separators), that the wizard will return as an index.
            I will have to remember that one. Ah. There's the rub - remembering!

            Namaste', Art

            At 04/13/2011 09:21, you wrote:
            >Art Kocsis wrote:
            > > Although your clips works (just not the way you thought it
            > > should) and is clear and maintainable, it is not scalable, is not
            > > generalized and is quite lengthy. I would suggest using arrays.
            > > Set one array to the valuelist in your wizard and use the array in
            > > the wizard (and use option T=L,H=10 or 20 to display multiple
            > > choices and restricts the selection to list values), create
            > > another array with the corresponding desired outputs. After the
            > > wizard completes, scan the valuelist using the input result to
            > > find the index of the user selection which will be the
            > > corresponding index of the desired output. This separates the clip
            > > logic from the clip data and makes it easily reusable.
            >
            >True, but it makes things more complicated. Actually the NoteTab wizard
            >offers a better solution, you can select one thing and load the variable
            >with another (It is very well hidden in help and I tend to foget and go
            >the ^!If way too most of the time):
            >
            >^!Set %smiley%=^?[smiley==Grin^=^%SC%D|_Smiley^=^%COLON%)]
            >^!InsertText ^%smiley%
            >
            >Axel

          • Robert Bull
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
              On Wednesday, April 13, 2011, 7:21:32 PM, Art Kocsis wrote:

              AK> I will have to remember that one. Ah. There's the rub -
              AK> remembering!

              Make it an entry in an NTP OTL file?

              :) <whistles innocently>

              Robert Bull