Re: Semicolon in regex causes error in SetListDelimiter statement

  • joy8388608
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2011

      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Why does the semicolon in %SearchString% (after :,.) cause
      > > an error on the SetListDelimiter statement?
      >
      > The error I see single stepping is a regex error, not an error on the SetListDelimiter statement.
      >
      > The problem is in NoteTab's parsing of the ^$GetDocMatchAll$ function which follows the SetListDelimiter statement. That function has an optional second parameter, and the second parameter follows a semicolon.
      >
      > If you include ;0 after the pattern in parameters for ^$GetDocMatchAll, it resolves. Zero is generally the default when the second parameter is omitted. Otherwise NoteTab splits the parameters at the semicolon and terminates the pattern portion early.
      >
      > Another issue with ^$GetDocMatchAll$ is sometimes seen when a pattern has ")$" in it -- NoteTab prematurely terminates the function. The solution for that one is to use the ^%dollar% instead of the dollar sign in the pattern.
      >
      > I noticed you didn't surround the string assigned to %SearchString% with double quotes. I would suggest to always use them. Use of double quotes sometimes avoids clipcode issues (but not in this case).
      >
      > Regards,
      > Sheri

      Thank you, Sheri, for the quick reply with the quote suggestion and for the reason for my problem. I'd not have figured that one out.

      You showed me another thing I didn't know. I thought EVERYTHING after the equal sign in a SET statement was taken literally - even quotes but I see not. It wasn't until I put three together (Set %X%="""test""") that X was set to test with quotes. I don't remember reading about this. So what should be in quotes for a SET statement? Everything that is not a number???

      It's a shame there isn't some central place for everyone to post notes and additional explanations for the help files. Yes, I'm sure keeping it all in order would be a big job. I know my notebook contains many notes like my new one on GetDocMatchAll and semicolons.

      Thanks again,

      Joy
    • bruce.somers@web.de
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
        I there something wrong with my mail display? I see no semicolon. I see a colon, a comma and a period.

        Bruce