Unique Identifiers

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2011
      Hello,

      I frequently run clips in multiple instances of NTB and need to be able to
      uniquely identify each instance. The Process ID (PID) is unique for each
      instance and would be fine but getting it seems to be windows version and
      Notetab installation dependent.

      Does anyone know of any (preferably simple), way of obtaining a unique
      instance identifier? Since NTB can access the registry, is there a reliable
      registry key that contains an ID?

      In lieu of a unique identifier, are the NTB clip variable spaces
      independent among different instances? I.e., is a clip variable in one
      instance vulnerable to being changed by another instance?

      Thanks for your help.

      Namaste', Art
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2011
        Hi
        any reason you can not give each clip it's own ID before it starts.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > I frequently run clips in multiple instances of NTB and need to be able to
        > uniquely identify each instance. The Process ID (PID) is unique for each
        > instance and would be fine but getting it seems to be windows version and
        > Notetab installation dependent.
        >
        > Does anyone know of any (preferably simple), way of obtaining a unique
        > instance identifier? Since NTB can access the registry, is there a
        > reliable
        > registry key that contains an ID?
        >
        > In lieu of a unique identifier, are the NTB clip variable spaces
        > independent among different instances? I.e., is a clip variable in one
        > instance vulnerable to being changed by another instance?
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Namaste', Art

      • Art Kocsis
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2011
          That was my question. It is the same clip in each NTB instance.
          Are the variable values independent? IOW, can a clip in one instance
          of NTB change the values of variables in a different instance?
          And, if not, is it reliable and future safe across all versions of NTB?

          Art

          At 03/29/2011 06:32, you wrote:
          >Hi
          >any reason you can not give each clip it's own ID before it starts.
          >THANKYOU DAVE M

        • Eb
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29, 2011
            Variables created in a clip ought to be safe from attack by a different instance of notetab, EXCEPT for INI variables (Variables saved to an INI file using ^!SetValue and retrieved with ^$GetValue).

            As to identifying the NoteTab instance, the best way to do this (AND protect INI variables) is to start each instance with a different INI file, which you can then use to identify the instance. See NoteTab help-->reference-->Other features-->Commandline Parameters