Re: [Clip] Missing Sample Code

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
      Hi Alec,

      <<You could compare the two to see if there are differences between what is
      > in each>>

      As previously mentioned, the two copies of SampleCode.clb are identical.
      I'll rename the one in the Templates file and relaunch NTB. My guess is that
      the copy in the Libraries file is the one in use. I'll delete the one that's
      not needed.

      <<It almost sounds like you have never used the Libraries Bar>>

      I turned it off a long time ago to conserve space on the screen. Except for
      one-click convenience, does the Libraries Bar give me access to anything
      that I can't get by opening the drop-down window from the F4 panel?

      << I'm pretty sure you have done this for your own use correct?>>

      Have done what? I do have a custom library that contains some clips I wrote
      or modified plus some that were written by forum mavens like yourself.

      <<I'd suggest looking at the code in the two Perl related...>>

      When I migrated to this relatively new PC, I lost my Perl interpreter. Just
      a few hours ago, I downloaded the "community" version of ActivePerl
      5.12.3<http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads>.
      The next step will be to launch ActivePerl via the Perl scripts.

      << I strongly recommend getting (free) Everything at
      http://www.voidtools.com/>>

      I've been using Everything for about a year now. It's an excellent tool.

      Regards and thanks for your suggestions.

      Ray Shapp

      On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

      > On 2011-03-05 06:15, Ray Shapp wrote:
      > > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Libraries\SampleCode.clb
      > >
      > > and
      > >
      > > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Templates\SampleCode.clb
      > >
      > > I didn't see it because I was looking for a folder -- not a clip. They
      > are
      > > identical (24,272 bytes). My guess is that I can safely delete the
      > > SampleCode.clb which is now in the Templates folder. Is that right?
      > Hi Ray - no need to delete either. Eb (I think) mentioned how you could
      > display the SampleCode library on the left side and then check the
      > contents of the two perl-related clips. I don't have any Templates
      > folder anywhere on my system - I suspect you must have created it at
      > some time. I'm fairly sure that it is the .clb files in the Libraries
      > file that are active in Notetab. You could compare the two to see if
      > there are differences between what is in each
      >
      > It almost sounds like you have never used the Libraries Bar (at the
      > bottom)? Turn it on by View-Libraries Bar. It will automatically display
      > one entry for each .clb file - the standard ones delivered when you
      > install Notetab and any you have created yourself. I'm pretty sure you
      > have done this for your own use correct?
      >
      > As suggested have clip panel displayed on the left, then just click
      > which ever library in the Library Bar you want to examine.
      >
      > I'd suggest looking at the code in the two Perl related and then if you
      > want to modify for your own usage, copy to your own custom library.
      >
      > Last point - if you haven't got it already, I strongly recommend getting
      > (free) Everything at http://www.voidtools.com/
      > Its invaluable (and much quicker) when you want to find a file based on
      > part or all of its file name.
      >
      > Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail& WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)

    • Eb
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
        Ray,

        the templates folder is for clip-like documents, which execute when loaded via the File/Templates/open menu. Notice I said clip-like (not library-like). Libraries contain multiple clips, clips contain text and or clipcode.

        This 'template' folder is NOT the right place for library (*.clb) files. So you can delete the template\samples.clb file without harmful effect.

        To access a library is best done from the NoteTab libraries list (libraries bar or clipbook). I prefer the clipbook, rather than the libraries bar because is has more capacity. My system has over 200 active libraries on it. I'm a collector, never throw anything away.

        Cheers

        Eb

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <rayshapp@...> wrote:

        > Hi Eb and hsavage
        >
        > Thanks for the quick replies.
        >

        > Quoting hsavage:
        >
        > > <<I don't know what Windows version you have but,...>>
        > >

        > I'm running Win7 SP1
        >

        > It turns out that I have had the sample code all along. In fact, I have two
        > copies of it in:
        >
        > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Libraries\SampleCode.clb
        >
        > and
        >
        > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Templates\SampleCode.clb
        >
        > I didn't see it because I was looking for a folder -- not a clip. They are
        > identical (24,272 bytes). My guess is that I can safely delete the
        > SampleCode.clb which is now in the Templates folder. Is that right?
        >
        > Ray Shapp
        >
        > PS, That's a very funny bumper sticker, Harvey
        >

        > Ray,
        > >
        > > I don't know what Windows version you have but, you may have a 'do it
        > > Windows way' installation. Your NoteTab support folders may be in
        > > 'Documents and Settings.
        > >
        > > The file 'SampleCode.clb' should be on the hard drive if you did a
        > > normal install. The easiest way to find it would be do a disk search
        > > in Docs and Settings with your trusty filemanager and if that fails
        > > search the entire drive.
        > >

        > > ·············································
        > > ºvº SL_250_day#_63 - created 2011.03.04 ~ 07.44.37
        > >
        > > Potential bumper sticker
        > > • I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere
        > >
        > > € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
        > >

        > > --

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
          Eb wrote:
          > Ray,
          >
          > the templates folder is for clip-like documents, which execute
          when loaded via the File/Templates/open menu. Notice I said clip-like
          (not library-like). Libraries contain multiple clips, clips contain
          text and or clipcode.

          > This 'template' folder is NOT the right place for library (*.clb)
          files. So you can delete the template\samples.clb file without
          harmful effect.

          > To access a library is best done from the NoteTab libraries list
          (libraries bar or clipbook). I prefer the clipbook, rather than the
          libraries bar because is has more capacity. My system has over 200
          active libraries on it. I'm a collector, never throw anything away.

          > Cheers
          >
          > Eb

          Ray,

          The 'templates' folder is part of a normal NoteTab install. I didn't
          add mine and it has been there for 15 years or more. It will contain
          '.tpl' files but may also have other files in it.

          Templates files may contain normal text, html or possibly some
          clipcode. When the file is loaded, either from a dropdown menu or
          from a command in a running clip, or, just double-clicking it, the
          content of the '.tpl' will be loaded into a new document and if it
          has clipcode the code will be executed.

          If you have 2 samplecode.clb files one of them is redundant, most
          likely the samplecode file in the templates folder. If they are
          identical you may safely delete one of them.

          ºvº SL_255_day#_64 - created 2011.03.05 ~ 12.10.39

          Potential bumper sticker
          • I work 40 hours a week to be this poor.

          € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
            Thanks Harvey and Eb,

            I deleted SampleCode.clb from the Templates folder with no ill effect as
            predicted by you.

            Thanks for that and for the info about the intended use for the Template
            folder.

            Ray Shapp