Re: [Clip] Missing Sample Code

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2011
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > Hi NTB Clippers,
      >
      > Please help me find the sample code which comes with a normal
      distribution
      > of NTB Pro.
      >
      > In a different thread, Alec said in part:
      >
      >> In Library [SampleCode] find the scripts:
      >> Perl script and _Perl NumLines
      >> as delivered with normal install [Perl Script] (containing normal
      clip
      >> code) is set up to invoke [_Perl NumLines] (containing the actual
      Perl
      >> script) which is run against the currently focused document.
      >>

      > My NoteTab Pro 6 folder doesn't contain a "Library" folder, but it
      does have
      > a "Libraries" folder. It contains 112 files in 321 KB, but it has no
      > subfolders.
      >
      > Thank you for the help.
      >
      > Ray Shapp

      Ray,

      I don't know what Windows version you have but, you may have a 'do it
      Windows way' installation. Your NoteTab support folders may be in
      'Documents and Settings.

      The file 'SampleCode.clb' should be on the hard drive if you did a
      normal install. The easiest way to find it would be do a disk search
      in Docs and Settings with your trusty filemanager and if that fails
      search the entire drive.

      ºvº SL_250_day#_63 - created 2011.03.04 ~ 07.44.37

      Potential bumper sticker
      • I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere

      € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
        Hi Eb and hsavage

        Thanks for the quick replies.

        Quoting hsavage:

        > <<I don't know what Windows version you have but,...>>

        I'm running Win7 SP1

        It turns out that I have had the sample code all along. In fact, I have two
        copies of it in:

        D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Libraries\SampleCode.clb

        and

        D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Templates\SampleCode.clb

        I didn't see it because I was looking for a folder -- not a clip. They are
        identical (24,272 bytes). My guess is that I can safely delete the
        SampleCode.clb which is now in the Templates folder. Is that right?

        Ray Shapp

        PS, That's a very funny bumper sticker, Harvey

        Ray,

        > I don't know what Windows version you have but, you may have a 'do it
        > Windows way' installation. Your NoteTab support folders may be in
        > 'Documents and Settings.
        >
        > The file 'SampleCode.clb' should be on the hard drive if you did a
        > normal install. The easiest way to find it would be do a disk search
        > in Docs and Settings with your trusty filemanager and if that fails
        > search the entire drive.
        >

        > ���������������������������������������������
        > �v� SL_250_day#_63 - created 2011.03.04 ~ 07.44.37
        >
        > Potential bumper sticker
        > � I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere
        >
        > � hrs � hsavage � pobox � com
        >

        > --

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
          On 2011-03-05 06:15, Ray Shapp wrote:
          > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Libraries\SampleCode.clb
          >
          > and
          >
          > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Templates\SampleCode.clb
          >
          > I didn't see it because I was looking for a folder -- not a clip. They are
          > identical (24,272 bytes). My guess is that I can safely delete the
          > SampleCode.clb which is now in the Templates folder. Is that right?
          Hi Ray - no need to delete either. Eb (I think) mentioned how you could
          display the SampleCode library on the left side and then check the
          contents of the two perl-related clips. I don't have any Templates
          folder anywhere on my system - I suspect you must have created it at
          some time. I'm fairly sure that it is the .clb files in the Libraries
          file that are active in Notetab. You could compare the two to see if
          there are differences between what is in each

          It almost sounds like you have never used the Libraries Bar (at the
          bottom)? Turn it on by View-Libraries Bar. It will automatically display
          one entry for each .clb file - the standard ones delivered when you
          install Notetab and any you have created yourself. I'm pretty sure you
          have done this for your own use correct?

          As suggested have clip panel displayed on the left, then just click
          which ever library in the Library Bar you want to examine.

          I'd suggest looking at the code in the two Perl related and then if you
          want to modify for your own usage, copy to your own custom library.

          Last point - if you haven't got it already, I strongly recommend getting
          (free) Everything at http://www.voidtools.com/
          Its invaluable (and much quicker) when you want to find a file based on
          part or all of its file name.

        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
            Hi Alec,

            <<You could compare the two to see if there are differences between what is
            > in each>>

            As previously mentioned, the two copies of SampleCode.clb are identical.
            I'll rename the one in the Templates file and relaunch NTB. My guess is that
            the copy in the Libraries file is the one in use. I'll delete the one that's
            not needed.

            <<It almost sounds like you have never used the Libraries Bar>>

            I turned it off a long time ago to conserve space on the screen. Except for
            one-click convenience, does the Libraries Bar give me access to anything
            that I can't get by opening the drop-down window from the F4 panel?

            << I'm pretty sure you have done this for your own use correct?>>

            Have done what? I do have a custom library that contains some clips I wrote
            or modified plus some that were written by forum mavens like yourself.

            <<I'd suggest looking at the code in the two Perl related...>>

            When I migrated to this relatively new PC, I lost my Perl interpreter. Just
            a few hours ago, I downloaded the "community" version of ActivePerl
            5.12.3<http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads>.
            The next step will be to launch ActivePerl via the Perl scripts.

            << I strongly recommend getting (free) Everything at
            http://www.voidtools.com/>>

            I've been using Everything for about a year now. It's an excellent tool.

            Regards and thanks for your suggestions.

            Ray Shapp

            On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

            > On 2011-03-05 06:15, Ray Shapp wrote:
            > > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Libraries\SampleCode.clb
            > >
            > > and
            > >
            > > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Templates\SampleCode.clb
            > >
            > > I didn't see it because I was looking for a folder -- not a clip. They
            > are
            > > identical (24,272 bytes). My guess is that I can safely delete the
            > > SampleCode.clb which is now in the Templates folder. Is that right?
            > Hi Ray - no need to delete either. Eb (I think) mentioned how you could
            > display the SampleCode library on the left side and then check the
            > contents of the two perl-related clips. I don't have any Templates
            > folder anywhere on my system - I suspect you must have created it at
            > some time. I'm fairly sure that it is the .clb files in the Libraries
            > file that are active in Notetab. You could compare the two to see if
            > there are differences between what is in each
            >
            > It almost sounds like you have never used the Libraries Bar (at the
            > bottom)? Turn it on by View-Libraries Bar. It will automatically display
            > one entry for each .clb file - the standard ones delivered when you
            > install Notetab and any you have created yourself. I'm pretty sure you
            > have done this for your own use correct?
            >
            > As suggested have clip panel displayed on the left, then just click
            > which ever library in the Library Bar you want to examine.
            >
            > I'd suggest looking at the code in the two Perl related and then if you
            > want to modify for your own usage, copy to your own custom library.
            >
            > Last point - if you haven't got it already, I strongly recommend getting
            > (free) Everything at http://www.voidtools.com/
            > Its invaluable (and much quicker) when you want to find a file based on
            > part or all of its file name.
            >
            > Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail& WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)

          • Eb
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
              Ray,

              the templates folder is for clip-like documents, which execute when loaded via the File/Templates/open menu. Notice I said clip-like (not library-like). Libraries contain multiple clips, clips contain text and or clipcode.

              This 'template' folder is NOT the right place for library (*.clb) files. So you can delete the template\samples.clb file without harmful effect.

              To access a library is best done from the NoteTab libraries list (libraries bar or clipbook). I prefer the clipbook, rather than the libraries bar because is has more capacity. My system has over 200 active libraries on it. I'm a collector, never throw anything away.

              Cheers

              Eb

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <rayshapp@...> wrote:

              > Hi Eb and hsavage
              >
              > Thanks for the quick replies.
              >

              > Quoting hsavage:
              >
              > > <<I don't know what Windows version you have but,...>>
              > >

              > I'm running Win7 SP1
              >

              > It turns out that I have had the sample code all along. In fact, I have two
              > copies of it in:
              >
              > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Libraries\SampleCode.clb
              >
              > and
              >
              > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Templates\SampleCode.clb
              >
              > I didn't see it because I was looking for a folder -- not a clip. They are
              > identical (24,272 bytes). My guess is that I can safely delete the
              > SampleCode.clb which is now in the Templates folder. Is that right?
              >
              > Ray Shapp
              >
              > PS, That's a very funny bumper sticker, Harvey
              >

              > Ray,
              > >
              > > I don't know what Windows version you have but, you may have a 'do it
              > > Windows way' installation. Your NoteTab support folders may be in
              > > 'Documents and Settings.
              > >
              > > The file 'SampleCode.clb' should be on the hard drive if you did a
              > > normal install. The easiest way to find it would be do a disk search
              > > in Docs and Settings with your trusty filemanager and if that fails
              > > search the entire drive.
              > >

              > > ·············································
              > > ºvº SL_250_day#_63 - created 2011.03.04 ~ 07.44.37
              > >
              > > Potential bumper sticker
              > > • I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere
              > >
              > > € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
              > >

              > > --

            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
                Eb wrote:
                > Ray,
                >
                > the templates folder is for clip-like documents, which execute
                when loaded via the File/Templates/open menu. Notice I said clip-like
                (not library-like). Libraries contain multiple clips, clips contain
                text and or clipcode.

                > This 'template' folder is NOT the right place for library (*.clb)
                files. So you can delete the template\samples.clb file without
                harmful effect.

                > To access a library is best done from the NoteTab libraries list
                (libraries bar or clipbook). I prefer the clipbook, rather than the
                libraries bar because is has more capacity. My system has over 200
                active libraries on it. I'm a collector, never throw anything away.

                > Cheers
                >
                > Eb

                Ray,

                The 'templates' folder is part of a normal NoteTab install. I didn't
                add mine and it has been there for 15 years or more. It will contain
                '.tpl' files but may also have other files in it.

                Templates files may contain normal text, html or possibly some
                clipcode. When the file is loaded, either from a dropdown menu or
                from a command in a running clip, or, just double-clicking it, the
                content of the '.tpl' will be loaded into a new document and if it
                has clipcode the code will be executed.

                If you have 2 samplecode.clb files one of them is redundant, most
                likely the samplecode file in the templates folder. If they are
                identical you may safely delete one of them.

                ºvº SL_255_day#_64 - created 2011.03.05 ~ 12.10.39

                Potential bumper sticker
                • I work 40 hours a week to be this poor.

                € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
                  Thanks Harvey and Eb,

                  I deleted SampleCode.clb from the Templates folder with no ill effect as
                  predicted by you.

                  Thanks for that and for the info about the intended use for the Template
                  folder.

                  Ray Shapp