Missing Sample Code

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2011
      Hi NTB Clippers,

      Please help me find the sample code which comes with a normal distribution
      of NTB Pro.

      In a different thread, Alec said in part:

      > In Library [SampleCode] find the scripts:
      > Perl script and _Perl NumLines
      > as delivered with normal install [Perl Script] (containing normal clip
      > code) is set up to invoke [_Perl NumLines] (containing the actual Perl
      > script) which is run against the currently focused document.

      My NoteTab Pro 6 folder doesn't contain a "Library" folder, but it does have
      a "Libraries" folder. It contains 112 files in 321 KB, but it has no
      subfolders.

      My Scripts folder is empty and my Samples folder contains non-English
      language HTML files and cp_.txt files which are also intended for use with
      the non-English HTML.

      I tried to get the missing sample code by downloading the current trial
      version of NTB-Pro and I extracted it into a temporary folder, but I didn't
      see any sample code dealing with Perl or anything other than the Non-English
      material described above. I have since uninstalled the trial version.

      Are sample codes available for download on the Fookes site? If so, where are
      they -- I didn't see them.

      This is a question suitable for the NTB-Basic forum, but it grew out of
      Alec's reply in a thread on this forum.

      Thank you for the help.

      Ray Shapp

      On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 11:33 PM, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

      > <snip>

    • Eb
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2011
        Load it via the clipbook (f4), pull down the list of libraries and look for "SampleCode".

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <rayshapp@...> wrote:

        > Hi NTB Clippers,
        >
        > Please help me find the sample code which comes with a normal distribution
        > of NTB Pro.
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2011
          Ray Shapp wrote:
          > Hi NTB Clippers,
          >
          > Please help me find the sample code which comes with a normal
          distribution
          > of NTB Pro.
          >
          > In a different thread, Alec said in part:
          >
          >> In Library [SampleCode] find the scripts:
          >> Perl script and _Perl NumLines
          >> as delivered with normal install [Perl Script] (containing normal
          clip
          >> code) is set up to invoke [_Perl NumLines] (containing the actual
          Perl
          >> script) which is run against the currently focused document.
          >>

          > My NoteTab Pro 6 folder doesn't contain a "Library" folder, but it
          does have
          > a "Libraries" folder. It contains 112 files in 321 KB, but it has no
          > subfolders.
          >
          > Thank you for the help.
          >
          > Ray Shapp

          Ray,

          I don't know what Windows version you have but, you may have a 'do it
          Windows way' installation. Your NoteTab support folders may be in
          'Documents and Settings.

          The file 'SampleCode.clb' should be on the hard drive if you did a
          normal install. The easiest way to find it would be do a disk search
          in Docs and Settings with your trusty filemanager and if that fails
          search the entire drive.

          ºvº SL_250_day#_63 - created 2011.03.04 ~ 07.44.37

          Potential bumper sticker
          • I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere

          € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
            Hi Eb and hsavage

            Thanks for the quick replies.

            Quoting hsavage:

            > <<I don't know what Windows version you have but,...>>

            I'm running Win7 SP1

            It turns out that I have had the sample code all along. In fact, I have two
            copies of it in:

            D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Libraries\SampleCode.clb

            and

            D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Templates\SampleCode.clb

            I didn't see it because I was looking for a folder -- not a clip. They are
            identical (24,272 bytes). My guess is that I can safely delete the
            SampleCode.clb which is now in the Templates folder. Is that right?

            Ray Shapp

            PS, That's a very funny bumper sticker, Harvey

            Ray,

            > I don't know what Windows version you have but, you may have a 'do it
            > Windows way' installation. Your NoteTab support folders may be in
            > 'Documents and Settings.
            >
            > The file 'SampleCode.clb' should be on the hard drive if you did a
            > normal install. The easiest way to find it would be do a disk search
            > in Docs and Settings with your trusty filemanager and if that fails
            > search the entire drive.
            >

            > ���������������������������������������������
            > �v� SL_250_day#_63 - created 2011.03.04 ~ 07.44.37
            >
            > Potential bumper sticker
            > � I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere
            >
            > � hrs � hsavage � pobox � com
            >

            > --

          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
              On 2011-03-05 06:15, Ray Shapp wrote:
              > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Libraries\SampleCode.clb
              >
              > and
              >
              > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Templates\SampleCode.clb
              >
              > I didn't see it because I was looking for a folder -- not a clip. They are
              > identical (24,272 bytes). My guess is that I can safely delete the
              > SampleCode.clb which is now in the Templates folder. Is that right?
              Hi Ray - no need to delete either. Eb (I think) mentioned how you could
              display the SampleCode library on the left side and then check the
              contents of the two perl-related clips. I don't have any Templates
              folder anywhere on my system - I suspect you must have created it at
              some time. I'm fairly sure that it is the .clb files in the Libraries
              file that are active in Notetab. You could compare the two to see if
              there are differences between what is in each

              It almost sounds like you have never used the Libraries Bar (at the
              bottom)? Turn it on by View-Libraries Bar. It will automatically display
              one entry for each .clb file - the standard ones delivered when you
              install Notetab and any you have created yourself. I'm pretty sure you
              have done this for your own use correct?

              As suggested have clip panel displayed on the left, then just click
              which ever library in the Library Bar you want to examine.

              I'd suggest looking at the code in the two Perl related and then if you
              want to modify for your own usage, copy to your own custom library.

              Last point - if you haven't got it already, I strongly recommend getting
              (free) Everything at http://www.voidtools.com/
              Its invaluable (and much quicker) when you want to find a file based on
              part or all of its file name.

            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
                Hi Alec,

                <<You could compare the two to see if there are differences between what is
                > in each>>

                As previously mentioned, the two copies of SampleCode.clb are identical.
                I'll rename the one in the Templates file and relaunch NTB. My guess is that
                the copy in the Libraries file is the one in use. I'll delete the one that's
                not needed.

                <<It almost sounds like you have never used the Libraries Bar>>

                I turned it off a long time ago to conserve space on the screen. Except for
                one-click convenience, does the Libraries Bar give me access to anything
                that I can't get by opening the drop-down window from the F4 panel?

                << I'm pretty sure you have done this for your own use correct?>>

                Have done what? I do have a custom library that contains some clips I wrote
                or modified plus some that were written by forum mavens like yourself.

                <<I'd suggest looking at the code in the two Perl related...>>

                When I migrated to this relatively new PC, I lost my Perl interpreter. Just
                a few hours ago, I downloaded the "community" version of ActivePerl
                5.12.3<http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads>.
                The next step will be to launch ActivePerl via the Perl scripts.

                << I strongly recommend getting (free) Everything at
                http://www.voidtools.com/>>

                I've been using Everything for about a year now. It's an excellent tool.

                Regards and thanks for your suggestions.

                Ray Shapp

                On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

                > On 2011-03-05 06:15, Ray Shapp wrote:
                > > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Libraries\SampleCode.clb
                > >
                > > and
                > >
                > > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Templates\SampleCode.clb
                > >
                > > I didn't see it because I was looking for a folder -- not a clip. They
                > are
                > > identical (24,272 bytes). My guess is that I can safely delete the
                > > SampleCode.clb which is now in the Templates folder. Is that right?
                > Hi Ray - no need to delete either. Eb (I think) mentioned how you could
                > display the SampleCode library on the left side and then check the
                > contents of the two perl-related clips. I don't have any Templates
                > folder anywhere on my system - I suspect you must have created it at
                > some time. I'm fairly sure that it is the .clb files in the Libraries
                > file that are active in Notetab. You could compare the two to see if
                > there are differences between what is in each
                >
                > It almost sounds like you have never used the Libraries Bar (at the
                > bottom)? Turn it on by View-Libraries Bar. It will automatically display
                > one entry for each .clb file - the standard ones delivered when you
                > install Notetab and any you have created yourself. I'm pretty sure you
                > have done this for your own use correct?
                >
                > As suggested have clip panel displayed on the left, then just click
                > which ever library in the Library Bar you want to examine.
                >
                > I'd suggest looking at the code in the two Perl related and then if you
                > want to modify for your own usage, copy to your own custom library.
                >
                > Last point - if you haven't got it already, I strongly recommend getting
                > (free) Everything at http://www.voidtools.com/
                > Its invaluable (and much quicker) when you want to find a file based on
                > part or all of its file name.
                >
                > Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail& WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)

              • Eb
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
                  Ray,

                  the templates folder is for clip-like documents, which execute when loaded via the File/Templates/open menu. Notice I said clip-like (not library-like). Libraries contain multiple clips, clips contain text and or clipcode.

                  This 'template' folder is NOT the right place for library (*.clb) files. So you can delete the template\samples.clb file without harmful effect.

                  To access a library is best done from the NoteTab libraries list (libraries bar or clipbook). I prefer the clipbook, rather than the libraries bar because is has more capacity. My system has over 200 active libraries on it. I'm a collector, never throw anything away.

                  Cheers

                  Eb

                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <rayshapp@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Eb and hsavage
                  >
                  > Thanks for the quick replies.
                  >

                  > Quoting hsavage:
                  >
                  > > <<I don't know what Windows version you have but,...>>
                  > >

                  > I'm running Win7 SP1
                  >

                  > It turns out that I have had the sample code all along. In fact, I have two
                  > copies of it in:
                  >
                  > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Libraries\SampleCode.clb
                  >
                  > and
                  >
                  > D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\Templates\SampleCode.clb
                  >
                  > I didn't see it because I was looking for a folder -- not a clip. They are
                  > identical (24,272 bytes). My guess is that I can safely delete the
                  > SampleCode.clb which is now in the Templates folder. Is that right?
                  >
                  > Ray Shapp
                  >
                  > PS, That's a very funny bumper sticker, Harvey
                  >

                  > Ray,
                  > >
                  > > I don't know what Windows version you have but, you may have a 'do it
                  > > Windows way' installation. Your NoteTab support folders may be in
                  > > 'Documents and Settings.
                  > >
                  > > The file 'SampleCode.clb' should be on the hard drive if you did a
                  > > normal install. The easiest way to find it would be do a disk search
                  > > in Docs and Settings with your trusty filemanager and if that fails
                  > > search the entire drive.
                  > >

                  > > ·············································
                  > > ºvº SL_250_day#_63 - created 2011.03.04 ~ 07.44.37
                  > >
                  > > Potential bumper sticker
                  > > • I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere
                  > >
                  > > € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                  > >

                  > > --

                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
                    Eb wrote:
                    > Ray,
                    >
                    > the templates folder is for clip-like documents, which execute
                    when loaded via the File/Templates/open menu. Notice I said clip-like
                    (not library-like). Libraries contain multiple clips, clips contain
                    text and or clipcode.

                    > This 'template' folder is NOT the right place for library (*.clb)
                    files. So you can delete the template\samples.clb file without
                    harmful effect.

                    > To access a library is best done from the NoteTab libraries list
                    (libraries bar or clipbook). I prefer the clipbook, rather than the
                    libraries bar because is has more capacity. My system has over 200
                    active libraries on it. I'm a collector, never throw anything away.

                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Eb

                    Ray,

                    The 'templates' folder is part of a normal NoteTab install. I didn't
                    add mine and it has been there for 15 years or more. It will contain
                    '.tpl' files but may also have other files in it.

                    Templates files may contain normal text, html or possibly some
                    clipcode. When the file is loaded, either from a dropdown menu or
                    from a command in a running clip, or, just double-clicking it, the
                    content of the '.tpl' will be loaded into a new document and if it
                    has clipcode the code will be executed.

                    If you have 2 samplecode.clb files one of them is redundant, most
                    likely the samplecode file in the templates folder. If they are
                    identical you may safely delete one of them.

                    ºvº SL_255_day#_64 - created 2011.03.05 ~ 12.10.39

                    Potential bumper sticker
                    • I work 40 hours a week to be this poor.

                    € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
                      Thanks Harvey and Eb,

                      I deleted SampleCode.clb from the Templates folder with no ill effect as
                      predicted by you.

                      Thanks for that and for the info about the intended use for the Template
                      folder.

                      Ray Shapp