Re: Why does my Wizard dialog text go blank?

  • Eb
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2011
      Joy,

      I tried your original clip (in Windows 7, NTP 6.2). It does NOT give me the symptoms you describe. The wizard title and label remain intact.

      I presume that when you say, you use the space bar, that that enters a space in the wizard, and THEN you click [ok], is that right?

      Here are a couple more things you could try.

      Enable "Non-printing text" in the view menu, and look for odd characters in the document. If you find any, edit them out.

      If you havn't already, create a second copy of the clip giving you trouble, and try it with the new clip. If you have the same symptoms, then the problem is deeper in the guts of NT.

      If you can access the notepro.ini file, rename it temporarily. This forces NoteTab to create a new ini file. Then try your clip again.

      Finally, whenever NT exhibits weird behavior, a reinstall may be the best solution. NoteTab may have overwritten some critical file in its installation. If you do reinstall, your data should not be affected (though you might wanmt to back it up anyway), but your default libraries, icons, and your ini files will be overwritten.

      To preserve them, back up the current installation. You can then add any corrupted file back manually. Look in your install folder to see what files will be affected. NoteTab _may_ have placed some files into "C:\Users\ebu\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro".

      Cheers,

      Eb

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@...> wrote:

      > I made the changes you suggested one by one, leaving the changes each time. Here is the changed clip with the changes. None of the changes made any difference that I could see... the text still goes blank.
      >
      > Not a problem to me. It's my past jobs as software tester that keeps me from sleeping unless I report what might be a problem.
      >
      > Nobody else has yet reported that they see or do not see the same oddity as I do.
      >
      > Joy
      >
      > ^!ClearVariables
      > ^!Goto START
      >
      > :NO_SPACES_MSG
      > ^!Prompt Clicking OK usually loses Label and title while hitting space to click usually does not!
      >
      > :START
      > ^!SetWizardLabel Just click OK
      > ^!SetWizardTitle This is the title
      >
      > :WITH_UC
      > ^!Set %Left%=^?{(M="C;1;_")Left character [no spaces]=};%Right%=^?{(M="C;1;_")Right character [no spaces]=}
      >
      > ^!IfSame "^%Left%" "^%SPACE%" NO_SPACES_MSG
      > ^!IfSame "^%Right%" "^%SPACE%" NO_SPACES_MSG
      >

      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Three things you can try (one at a time, to see which is, is not, the culprit:
      > >
      > > 1. remove the quotes around the WizardLabel and Title
      > > 2. replace the second set of parenthesies in the wizard with forward slashes or square brackets (NoteTab doesn't like you to use parenthesies in wizards other than for the options.=).
      > > 3. Replace the quoted spaces in the tests with "^%space%"
      > >
      > > I know, these suggestions may not make sense. But neither does the problem you described, so you gotta nit-pick looking for answers.
      > >
      > > Please post the results, whatever they might be. Windows 7 has provided NT user with a whole new set of problems.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Eb

    • Gerard Huijing
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 6, 2011
        On 3/4/2011 5:33 PM, joy8388608 wrote:

        > Nobody else has yet reported that they see or do not see the same oddity
        > as I do.

        For NTB Pro 6.2 on Win 7 SP1 I can partly confirm:

        If I run the clip (the original or the modified version) and click OK
        the window title remains visible, but the label disappears.

        The clip does not behave like that under XP Pro SP3.

        Cheers,
        Gerard

        --
        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        2312 ZD Leiden
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 6, 2011
          Hi Eb,
          Thanks again for your time on this and the advice and suggestions.

          I suppose I was not clear enough...
          To see the problem, I run the clip and click the ok button with the mouse. Then I click the ok button for the prompt with the mouse. The label and text (all but the text on the title bar) disappears. Repeat over and over.

          Then, at the prompt dialog, just press the spacebar when the focus is (automatically) on the ok button which has the same effect as clicking it with the mouse (this is a built-in windows feature for all windows dialog buttons) and the wizard is shown with all the text showing.

          That being said, I'm sure there is no problem with my system which is now at Win 7 SP1. I have NO other problems and can assure you that I would know if I did. Besides, Gerald just posted a partial verification that something is not being handled correct by NT. (Thanks, Gerald!)

          I guess we will just have to wait for others to try it if they want and to verify my findings.

          At least it's not a serious problem.

          Thanks again
          Joy

> [...]
          > >
          > > ^!IfSame "^%Left%" "^%SPACE%" NO_SPACES_MSG
          > > ^!IfSame "^%Right%" "^%SPACE%" NO_SPACES_MSG
          > >

          > > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Three things you can try (one at a time, to see which is, is not, the culprit:
          > > >
          > > > 1. remove the quotes around the WizardLabel and Title
          > > > 2. replace the second set of parenthesies in the wizard with forward slashes or square brackets (NoteTab doesn't like you to use parenthesies in wizards other than for the options.=).
          > > > 3. Replace the quoted spaces in the tests with "^%space%"
          > > >
          > > > I know, these suggestions may not make sense. But neither does the problem you described, so you gotta nit-pick looking for answers.
          > > >
          > > > Please post the results, whatever they might be. Windows 7 has provided NT user with a whole new set of problems.

        • breaumark
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 7, 2011
            I get the result you describe with your clip.

            The problem of blank wizards has been raised twice before on this list. No resolution has been found.

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 7, 2011
              breaumark wrote:
              > I get the result you describe with your clip.

              Can't reproduce it here, seems that my Win98SE is still a comparatively
              unbroken OS and can't be remotely switched off at Mr Gates' whim. Two
              reasons not to "upgrade".

              Axel
            • mblattyh
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 13, 2011
                I recently upgraded to NoteTab Pro v6.2 running on a new Windows 7 system (from NTP6.1 on XP). I noticed this problem almost immediately with a clip I use many multiple times per day.

                1) Thanks for figuring out a work-around (hitting the Enter key instead of clicking on OK button, in the wizard that executes prior to the one with the problem, seems to work for me).

                2) Quick search of group messages doesn't show any solution to this problem. Have I done too cursory a search? Or is there still no solution?

                Thanks!

                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "breaumark" <breaumark@...> wrote:

                > I get the result you describe with your clip.
                >
                > The problem of blank wizards has been raised twice before on this list. No resolution has been found.
                >

                > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@> wrote:
                > >
                > > NTL 6.2 on Win 7 machine.
                > >
                > > Can anyone duplicate and explain this odd behavior I noticed in my wizard dialog?
                > >
                > > When I run the following clip, if I click OK for the wizard and the prompt, the wizard label and all other text is not displayed. But if I use the spacebar to 'click' the ok button on the prompt, it reappears!
                > >
                > > Joy
                > >

                > > ^!ClearVariables
                > > ^!Goto START
                > >
                > > :NO_SPACES_MSG
                > > ^!Prompt Clicking OK usually loses Label and title while hitting space to click usually does not!
                > >
                > > :START
                > > ^!SetWizardLabel "Just click OK"
                > > ^!SetWizardTitle "This is the title"
                > >
                > > :WITH_UC
                > > ^!Set %Left%=^?{(M="C;1;_")Left character (no spaces)=};%Right%=^?{(M="C;1;_")Right character (no spaces)=}
                > >
                > > ^!IfSame "^%Left%" " " NO_SPACES_MSG
                > > ^!IfSame "^%Right%" " " NO_SPACES_MSG

              • breaumark
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 26, 2011
                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "mblattyh" <mblattyh@...> wrote:

                  > I recently upgraded to NoteTab Pro v6.2 running on a new Windows 7 system (from NTP6.1 on XP). I noticed this problem almost immediately with a clip I use many multiple times per day.
                  >
                  > 1) Thanks for figuring out a work-around (hitting the Enter key instead of clicking on OK button, in the wizard that executes prior to the one with the problem, seems to work for me).
                  >
                  > 2) Quick search of group messages doesn't show any solution to this problem. Have I done too cursory a search? Or is there still no solution?
                  >
                  > Thanks!

                  Just so you won't go without any response at all...

                  I submitted this bug in March 2011. NoteTab headquarters replied that they receive occasional reports of the issue but have been unable to replicate it. Their surmise, like mine, was that it relates either to incompatibility with graphics systems or to the superannuated compiler used to generate Notetab. They hoped to move to a newer compiler later in the year. That is the latest I've heard.

                  As of now, even in my own scant experience, the problem has appeared on a succession of two different computers, with two different graphics systems (NVIDIA and Intel) and several revisions of graphics drivers. So my hopes lie with the new compiler, but what do I know?
                • mblattyh
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 28, 2011
                    Thank you for the reply. It helps to know I'm not the only one out here experiencing this.