Re: [Clip] Block Sorting

  • Don
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
      mysql or better yet a wordpress install written all over it

      > Do you happen to have any decent database software you're familiar with?
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
        Hi Axel and Don,

        <<Do you happen to have any decent database software you're familiar with?>>

        Yes, I have Access. I haven't used it for generating reports, but I can
        learn.

        <<better yet a wordpress install written all over it>>

        I've never used Wordpress, but my impression is that it would also be a good
        tool in this applicaiton.

        Thank you both for the suggestions.

        Ray Shapp

        On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

        > Ray Shapp wrote:
        > > My question: Do we have any clips
        >
        > Do you happen to have any decent database software you're familiar with?
        > This is what I would use and write an output "report" generating HTML
        > table source code. That's how I mamage a growing amount of rad
        > scientific literature and how I generate List in TeX and HTML and
        > references sections in papers.
        >
        > The problem is, I have not yet found anything coming even near my old
        > Atari program so I still need to fire up the emulator every time I need
        > a database. Before I found NoteTab the same held true for my editor.
        >
        > On the Atari there were at least four good and powerful databases
        > available. For Windows there seems to be nothing but the hard to use and
        > very expensive Access, Open Office Base is said to be worthless. No idea
        > how that came about, a database is such an important, versatile and
        > often used bit od software for nearly everyone. I have heard it said,
        > the old one coming with works was quite good.
        >
        > Axel

      • Eb
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
          Ray,

          If the sections are delimited by blank lines, a quick an durty way might be to temporarily join each table row into a single line (unwrapped), sort the lines by Modify/Sort/Ascending, and unjoin again.

          Your blank lines will have been sorted to the top, delete them and reinsert blank lines with the replace menu:

          Replace
          <!-- ***
          With
          ^P<!-- ***

          No clip needed.

          Cheers.

          Eb

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <rayshapp@...> wrote:

          > sections of the table separately. Motorcycles shouldn't be mixed in with
          > other types of vehicles.
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
            Goofed and tried to post this reply online under a non-list member ID so
            I don't expect it to show up (but it might be a duplicate).

            You could put the rows into an otl outline with sortable text on the
            header. Sort the outline, then remove the headers. Could be automated
            with regex (but a slight hiccup would need addressing in your sample
            text owing to a line break in the middle of one of the vehicle
            manufacture names -- no line breaks allowed in outline headers).

            Would it be simpler to use Excel?

            Or, maybe you could attach some javascript to the page for live sorting
            (and capture the resulting html).

          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
              Hi Eb and Sheri

              <<a quick an durty way might be to temporarily join each table row into a
              > single line (unwrapped), sort the lines >>
              >
              > <<You could put the rows into an otl outline with sortable text on the
              > header. Sort the outline, then remove the headers. Could be automated with
              > regex (but a slight hiccup would need addressing in your sample text owing
              > to a line break in the middle of one of the vehicle manufacture name>>

              Both are good ideas. I'm experimenting with them both. Since each row begins
              with the sort key in a comment, and the comments will become a permanent
              part of the document, line breaks in manufacturer name will not be a
              problem. These ideas are pretty slick because I won't need to mess with
              Access or Excel or Java scripts.

              I should have results to report tomorrow.

              Many thanks.

              Ray Shapp

              On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Eb <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

              > Ray,
              >
              > If the sections are delimited by blank lines, a quick an durty way might be
              > to temporarily join each table row into a single line (unwrapped), sort the
              > lines by Modify/Sort/Ascending, and unjoin again.
              >
              > Your blank lines will have been sorted to the top, delete them and reinsert
              > blank lines with the replace menu:
              >
              > Replace
              > <!-- ***
              > With
              > ^P<!-- ***
              >
              > No clip needed.
              >
              > Cheers.
              >
              > Eb
              >

              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <rayshapp@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > sections of the table separately. Motorcycles shouldn't be mixed in with
              > > other types of vehicles.

            • Don
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
                Right that would do it -- and you don't need the line breaks anyway --
                that is what wordwrap is for.

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
                  Hi Eb and Don,

                  <<Right that would do it -- and you don't need the line breaks anyway --
                  > that is what wordwrap is for.>>

                  Problem solved! The join/sort/split works perfectly. Done entirely within
                  NoteTab, and no clip required.

                  Thanks to all who responded - Axel, Don, Eb, Sheri. (Did you notice that you
                  folks replied in alphabetical order?)

                  Ray Shapp

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 3, 2011
                    Yes,

                    Microsoft's latest invention, the "cloud" queue. Each PC delays its posts until its turn. Except for Axel's. Germans are renowned for the ability to get to the head of the Q. (;-) The German National Motto, "Ich drängel doch nich!" is heard at every train, bus, and theater door.

                    Just kidding Axel.

                    Prost.

                    PS
                    actually, there might be a grain of truth to this motto. Back in the early 1920's the German Gubmint issued new money so fast, that people were getting paid twice a day, and rushed right to the store to spend it, as it would lose value so fast, that in the morning you might be able to buy a loaf of bread, and by lunch time, you would be lucky to get a slice from that loaf for the same money.

                    Before the off-topic police cranks their recliner forward, lets make this a clip:

                    H="Calculate Daily Inflation"
                    ^!Set %lunchtimeprice%=^?[Enter price at lunchtime]
                    ^!Set %breakfastprice%=^?[Enter price at breakfast]
                    ^!Set %inflation%=^$Calc(100*(^%lunchtimeprice%/^%breakfastprice%-1))$
                    ^!Info [L]Today's inflation was ^%inflation% percent.

                    Eb

                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <rayshapp@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks to all who responded - Axel, Don, Eb, Sheri. (Did you notice that you
                    > folks replied in alphabetical order?)

                  • Art Kocsis
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6, 2011
                      Hi Ray,

                      Short answer: Do now.

                      Long answer:

                      Other posters have already beat me to the punch to use the join/split
                      commands to solve your problem. I use that technique quite frequently.

                      Since I like to keep my original formatting, I add a unique temporary
                      character (such as %, &, #, etc) to the end of each non-empty line before
                      executing the join command and put two of these characters at the end
                      of the last line in each group. After sorting, the original formatting is
                      easily
                      restored by simply replacing each temporary character with a CRLF. This
                      also restores the empty line between groups.

                      Although it is pretty simple to do manually, a clip makes it even simpler so
                      why not dash off a quick clip? Answer: there is no such thing as a quick clip!

                      Not wanting to publish a clip that was not robust and did not handle abnormal
                      conditions, I ran into three problems:
                      - Multiple separator lines
                      - Oddities of high-bit characters
                      - Real life demands on my time

                      RegEx to the rescue for the first problem!

                      The second problem comes from wanting to use a temp character that would
                      have a very low probability of appearing in the document and a difference in
                      "mindset" between me and Notetab. To me high-bit characters such as thorn
                      (alt 0254) are special characters similar to &, #, etc but to Notetab they are
                      regular characters, i.e., they are word characters. So it is not a bug in
                      NT after
                      all that it can find a @ in @@ but cannot find a þ in þþ without the T option!

                      The third problem is self explanatory.

                      Interestingly, it turns out that I had written a clip to do this very thing
                      over two
                      years ago and forgot about it. I was pleased to see that I have made a bit of
                      progress in my coding, especially in the use of RegEx.

                      To the curious, I avoid "GoTos" unless absolutely necessary as it makes for
                      much more readable and error-free code.
                      ##################### Code follows: ###################
                      Sort Groups

                      ;Clip to sort (ascending), groups of lines of text, each group
                      ; consisting of one or more lines with each line terminated by an
                      ; EOL, and each group of lines separated by one or more blank lines
                      ;
                      ;Note: This clip will affect either preselected text only
                      ; or the entire document if no text is preselected
                      ;Note: the temporary character "þ" (Thorn, ANSI 254 = ALT 0254),
                      ; must not occur at any place in the selected text.
                      ;Note: "þ" is a word character, hence requires the "T" ^!Find option
                      ; #, @, $, %, etc are non-word chars & do not require the T option
                      ;Note: If you want to keep the group spacing for all groups, make sure
                      ; you include the CRLF on the last line

                      ;Rev History
                      ;03-06-11 Created Clip

                      ^!StatusShow Running Group Sort
                      ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                      ;^!SetDebug On

                      ^!Set %SlctSz%=^$GetSelSize$
                      ^!If ^%SlctSz%=0 ^!Jump Doc_Start
                      ^!Find "þ" HST

                      ^!IfError Safe
                      ^!Continue Error: Text to be sorted contains internal test character "þ",
                      exiting clip
                      ^!Goto End

                      :Safe
                      ^!If ^%SlctSz%>0 ^!Replace "^P" >> "þ" AISTH
                      ^!If ^%SlctSz%>0 ^!Replace "þ{2,}" >> "þ\r\n" AIRSTH
                      ^!If ^%SlctSz%=0 ^!Replace "^P" >> "þ" AISTW
                      ^!If ^%SlctSz%=0 ^!Replace "þ{2,}" >> "þ\r\n" AIRSTW
                      ^!Toolbar Sort Ascending
                      ^!Replace "þ" >> "^P" AISTH
                      ^!If ^%SlctSz%=0 ^!Jump Doc_Start

                      ^!Continue Align Left or Cancel?
                      ^!Toolbar Left Align

                      ^!SetDebug Off
                      ##################### Code complete ##################

                      Namaste', Art

                      At 03/02/2011 11:26, Ray wrote:
                      >To All,
                      >
                      >My question: Do we have any clips in the Fookes libraries that would sort
                      >multi-line blocks of text based on a unique key sequence such as I have
                      >described?
                    • Ray Shapp
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 7, 2011
                        Hello Art,

                        That's a major piece of work. I'll definitely use it.

                        Many thanks!

                        Ray Shapp