Re: continued problems with carriage returns

  • frosted_reality
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 18, 2011
      Don, can you provide some more info?

      When you say the "lines are all run on," do you mean that you have to scroll to the side to read them? Or do you mean that sentences are smushed together?

      If you're needing to scroll, that's a setting in Notepad that by default is turned off in new computers. Once it's set, then it sticks. Turn word wrap ON, and you won't have to scroll any more.

      If your lines are conjoined, that I can't really help with... What sort of Notetab file are you trying to open up in Notepad? And will it open correctly in Notetab after you've tried to open it in Notepad?

      ~ Isis
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 18, 2011
        tf_ntp wrote:
        > I have found that many times it helps to paste the text into NoteTab
        > then select all (Ctrl+A) then hit Modify>Lines>Adjust Line Breaks.

        That was exactly what I was going to suggest, but then I failed to find
        the correct menu item. Thanks, Frank. Should a clip be run anyway, then
        ^!Replace "\R" >> "\n" WRASTI
        in there might be better.

        N.B: The replace string ought to be "\r\n" really, but I've found that
        sometimes gives me two newlines in place of one while just "\n" always
        works. I've never looked into it but just kept using the "wrong" term.

        Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 18, 2011
          \R means any combination of CR/LF. \n is line feed, \r is carriage return.
          (memory trick: no ‘r’ in linefeed.) In Windows, you really need both, so you
          really should replace \R with \r\n, which I do dozens of times in my clips
          without a single extra line, ever. I suggest that if you are getting
          doubles, you may have accidentally used \n\n without noticing it.

          Mac/*nix/and Windows all use different line ends, and \R consumes them all,
          while \r\n provides a ‘clean’ result. It is the first thing I do in all my
          clips, so that all line ends are in a known state. When I first started
          writing clips, I also used \n only, but eventually that got me into trouble,
          and my whole library had to be converted to use \r\n. (My library is now
          about 800K.)

          > I have found that many times it helps to paste the text into NoteTab
          > then select all (Ctrl+A) then hit Modify>Lines>Adjust Line Breaks.

          That was exactly what I was going to suggest, but then I failed to find
          the correct menu item. Thanks, Frank. Should a clip be run anyway, then
          ^!Replace "\R" >> "\n" WRASTI
          in there might be better.

          N.B: The replace string ought to be "\r\n" really, but I've found that
          sometimes gives me two newlines in place of one while just "\n" always
          works. I've never looked into it but just kept using the "wrong" term.

          Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
          <mailto:Axel-Berger%40Nexgo.De>

        • flo.gehrke
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 18, 2011

            > \R means any combination of CR/LF. \n is line feed, \r is carriage
            > return. (...)
            > When I first started writing clips, I also used \n only, but
            > eventually that got me into trouble, and my whole library had
            > to be converted to use \r\n.

            John,

            Probably, that was due to a syntax change from previous Regex Engine introduced with NT 5.0.

            The What's-new-file for v.5.0 explained:

            "There are significant differences compared to the previous regex syntax used in earlier versions of NoteTab. (...) \n for newline (hex 0A); before it was hex 0D 0A. Replace \n with \r\n."

            One should thoroughly note the meaning of '\R' which was introduced with NT 5.5:

            "Updated the regular expressions engine to the latest release, which is based on PCRE 7.4. The \R newline sequence now matches either CRNL, or a lone CR, or a lone LF."

            Furthermore, it doesn't work in Character Classes and in substring replacements.

            For more details, see Sheri, message #17391, and the whole topic.

            Regards,
            Flo
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 21, 2011
              Hi
              this might be a bit late
              excel would tab spaced or comma spaced , notepad would not add any carriage
              returns unless they were there first and notepad would do the same thing,
              your going have to set one of them to default word-wrap.
              THANKYOU DAVE M