Re: [Clip] RegEx issue with \w and +

  • Eb
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2011
      You're right about it being a OS (I/O) function, but you're wrong about that having nothing to do with NoteTab.

      > And I thought I had already given the answer. The different treatment of
      > <Alt><0nnn> and <Alt><nnn> is an OS function working independent of the
      > current character set in any editor. It has nothing to do with NoteTab.

      Just to prove to yourself that your wrong, open a new document in NoteTab, and in MS Notpad, and press the following keystroke sequences:

      ALT+0228 (SPACE) ALT+132

      By your reasoning, these should produce the same results in both editors.

      However, it's the application (NoteTab), that decides what a keystroke means. The OS merely assures, that the app knows which key has been pressed.
    • Eb
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1, 2011

        > Eb wrote:
        > > The short answer: It's a NoteTab bug.
        >
        > That may well be so, but your example isn't. In fact it's a nice Windows
        > feature, which I can use right here in this mail reader:
        > <Alt><228> yields õ from the ASCII charset while <Alt><0228> gives me ä

        I covered this in another post, but your example is a good one. Try it in NoteTab.
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 1, 2011
          Eb wrote:
          > press the following keystroke sequences:
          > ALT+0228 (SPACE) ALT+132
          > By your reasoning, these should produce the same results
          > in both editors.

          Yes and here they do. Win98SE, NoteTab 6.2/fv.

          Axel
        • Pete Turner
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 1, 2011
            Axel Berger wrote:
            > Eb wrote:
            > > press the following keystroke sequences:
            > > ALT+0228 (SPACE) ALT+132
            > > By your reasoning, these should produce the same results
            > > in both editors.
            >
            > Yes and here they do. Win98SE, NoteTab 6.2/fv.
            >
            > Axel

            For me, those sequences both yield the same character, but that character differs depending on the application:

            . In NoteTab Light (in both 4.95 and 5.8), PFE, WordPad, NoteBook, XML Marker, MS Word 2007, Outlook 2007, MS Visual Studio 2005, MS SQL Server Query Analyser 2005 and Uniface IDF I get two lowercase a with umlaut

            . In Notepad I get two uppercase sigma (which when copied and pasted into any of the above applications pastes as two lowercase a with umlaut)

            That's on WinXp Professional Service Pack 3

            So Notepad appears to be the one that's out of step with everything else.

            Pete
          • Eb
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 2, 2011
              'Nuff said.

              > ... Win98SE
            • flo.gehrke
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 21, 2012

                > Today I stumbled on the following issue. Given a list...
                >
                > xxxa
                > xxxb
                > xxxä
                >
                > The clip...
                >
                > ^!Find "^\w+b$" WRS
                >
                > will find and select the second line.
                >
                > So I expect '^\w+ä$' to match the third line -- but it doesn't
                > match anything. Why this?
                > (...)

                Today I've heard from the German developer of DIRegEx (which is embedding PCRE into NoteTab) that this issue has turned out to be a bug in PCRE.

                The good news is: The developers of PCRE have already found a solution. So there is hope that we'll see this resolved in a future update of NTb.

                Regards,
                Flo
              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 21, 2012
                  FYI � it finds it if you put it in a character class. [�] (v7).