Problem with %COLON%

  • Robert Bull
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2011
      I'm making a clip that in places needs to print colons. The Help file
      says there is a built-in variable ^%COLON% = colon (:)

      If I put this in a clip, it doesn't work;

      :Smiley
      ^%COLON%)

      it prints nothing. But if I put

      :Smiley
      \^%COLON%)

      it prints \:) So it looks like %COLON% doesn't work if it's the first
      thing on a line, which sort of follows from colons being label
      markers, but in that case, please, how do I make NTP give a colon as
      the *first* character?

      --
      Thanks,,

      Robert Bull
      mailto:barlennan@...
    • Don
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2011
        ^!InsertText ^%colon%)

        On 1/30/2011 3:25 PM, Robert Bull wrote:
        > I'm making a clip that in places needs to print colons. The Help file
        > says there is a built-in variable ^%COLON% = colon (:)
        >
        > If I put this in a clip, it doesn't work;
        >
        > :Smiley
        > ^%COLON%)
        >
        > it prints nothing. But if I put
        >
        > :Smiley
        > \^%COLON%)
        >
        > it prints \:) So it looks like %COLON% doesn't work if it's the first
        > thing on a line, which sort of follows from colons being label
        > markers, but in that case, please, how do I make NTP give a colon as
        > the *first* character?

      • loro
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2011
          Robert Bull wrote:
          > how do I make NTP give a colon as

          ^!InsertText :

          Lotta
        • Robert Bull
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2011
            RB> says there is a built-in variable ^%COLON% = colon (:)

            lotta, Don;

            ^!InsertText :
            ^!InsertText ^%colon%)

            both worked. I hadn't had to look into InsertText before, as
            everything up to now had been simple literals. I wouldn't have known
            where to look for it, either.

            Many thanks! :)

            Robert Bull
            mailto:barlennan@...