[Clip] Search Engine clip working

  • Eric Richards
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 1999
      Well, I finally have got the clip working in all areas. It's actually
      really helpful for SE positioning. However there are a couple of
      questions I have.

      1. If I have the clip open, but not active and i run the clip on
      another document, the clip goes haywire. I thought you could run clips
      when they are open so long as it's not active. Am I mistaken? Is there
      anyway to automatically close the clip or check to make sure its closed
      before its run?

      2. I'm also still having problems running the clip when multiple
      documents are open. While I have figured out how to set the active
      document to the document the clip was run on, it still will jump around
      to the last open document (furthest to the right) during the execution.
      Sometimes I think its executing on the wrong doc but it's not. It's
      really annoying. How can I solve this. A previous posting mentioned
      keyboard functions could be doing this. Unfortunately I have many of
      these functions. Any other creative way around this proble.

      Thanks for all the help.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 1999
        Hi Eric,

        > 1. If I have the clip open, but not active and i run the clip
        > on another document, the clip goes haywire. I thought you could
        > run clips when they are open so long as it's not active. Am I
        > mistaken?

        Yes and no. As long as the Clip Editor is not focused (which I
        think you are calling active, as in the active tab) you can run a
        Clip. However, if you Clip contains code to switch to different
        documents it can very well mess up a Clip, especially if there is
        a Find and Replace or InsertText involved. (I have been able to
        run Clips on the Clip Editor, but not having it active first.)

        > Is there anyway to automatically close the clip or check to
        > make sure its closed before its run?

        ^!IfTrue ^$IsClipDoc$ Next else Skip
        ^!Close

        > 2. I'm also still having problems running the clip when
        > multiple documents are open. While I have figured out how to
        > set the active document to the document the clip was run on, it
        > still will jump around to the last open document (furthest to
        > the right) during the execution. Sometimes I think its
        > executing on the wrong doc but it's not.

        Off the top of my head I can think of a few things that would
        cause that.

        1. Using the G option in a Replace command
        1. Incorrect Keyboard commands
        3. Using ^!Toolbar [First|Next|Prev|Last] and executing them when
        you are not wanting to as in out of sequence with the rest of
        the script.

        Look into:

        ^!Set %Variable%=^$GetDocIndex$
        ^!SetDocIndex ^%Variable%