Basic file management question

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2011
      This seems like a simple thing to do, but I don't see a simply way to do it.

      When there are a number of files open, and I want to run a clip library on a given file, I'd like the tab for that file
      to move all the way to the right, so that the result, in a new file, is next to it. I have found a way to do it using
      about 8 commands, including mandatory TOOLBAR commands, but I wonder if I'm missing something that will just move a file
      from wherever it is to the new file position. That is, if there are 10 documents open, and the file to be worked on is
      the 5th, I'd like it to be the 10th file after running the clips, and the resulting file would be the 11th. I note that
      there are commands for using the tabs, but I don't see a way to reorganize them.

      If the only way is to use toolbar commands to create new documents, copy/paste, etc, I have the answer. Just hoping
      there is a simpler way to do it that I've just overlooked.

    • loro
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2011
        John wrote:
        >This seems like a simple thing to do, but I don't see a simply way to do it.
        >
        >When there are a number of files open, and I want to run a clip
        >library on a given file, I'd like the tab for that file
        >to move all the way to the right, so that the result, in a new file,
        >is next to it.

        Is it OK to save the document if it's in an unsaved state?

        My most used clip...

        H="MoveDocFirst"
        ^!Save
        ^!Set %file%=^$GetDocName$
        ^!Close
        ^!Open "^%file%"

        Lotta
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2011
          the first document open is going to be index=1 increment a variable the last
          doc will be say index=10
          when the clip runs it may go back to doc 5 , the incremented index variable
          will 10+1 ,so clip finishes it set the doc index to 11 ,the doc 5 becomes
          num. 11
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          > This seems like a simple thing to do, but I don't see a simply way to do
          > it.
          >
          > When there are a number of files open, and I want to run a clip library on
          > a given file, I'd like the tab for that file
          > to move all the way to the right, so that the result, in a new file, is
          > next to it. I have found a way to do it using
          > about 8 commands, including mandatory TOOLBAR commands, but I wonder if
          > I'm missing something that will just move a file
          > from wherever it is to the new file position. That is, if there are 10
          > documents open, and the file to be worked on is
          > the 5th, I'd like it to be the 10th file after running the clips, and the
          > resulting file would be the 11th. I note that
          > there are commands for using the tabs, but I don't see a way to reorganize
          > them.
          >
          > If the only way is to use toolbar commands to create new documents,
          > copy/paste, etc, I have the answer. Just hoping
          > there is a simpler way to do it that I've just overlooked.
          >
          > John

        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2011
            Thanks, that is indeed more efficient than mine, and uses no toolbar commands, which I shun. I changed it to save the
            document even if it isn't already saved, because usually, I'm running on an unsaved document.
            ^!Save As ^$GetDocName$
            ^!Set %file%=^$GetDocName$
            ^!Close
            ^!Open "^%file%"

            Recipe formatting tools:
            <http://recipetools.gotdns.com/> http://recipetools.gotdns.com
            Beaverton WeatherCam:
            <http://shotsky.gotdns.com/> http://shotsky.gotdns.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 15, 2011
              John Shotsky wrote:
              >Thanks, that is indeed more efficient than mine, and uses no toolbar
              >commands, which I shun. I changed it to save the
              >document even if it isn't already saved, because usually, I'm
              >running on an unsaved document.
              >^!Save As ^$GetDocName$
              >^!Set %file%=^$GetDocName$
              >^!Close
              >^!Open "^%file%"

              Now I get it! I didn't understand what difference that would make.
              All of a sudden it dawned on me. I have Save Files on Close checked.
              It's been so long I had forgotten that is a user setting.

              Lotta