Finding help for an optimal use of NoteTabPro

  • Patrick Forkin
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2011
      Hallo!
      I have today decided to buy the product and use it as a base to publish a description of a model to translate texts I write in English into German.
      I decided on NTB, because I came to the conclusion, that it had better function to support what I want to do than most other editors.
      Let me begin by listing what I need to be able to do.
      1. Describe using outlines and publish in HTML.
      2. Markup English text to describe sentence and phrase structures.
      3. Resequence to German word order.
      4. Add my own scheme of Tags and
      5. Translate using my own dictionary.
      A later version will offer a comprehensive translation dictionary.
      My questions are:
      1. How to add an own English to German translation dictionary?
      2. How to add text files of examples as non-html pages?
      These are to allow a user to test the model and dictionary.
      Any help, good ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.
      Thanks and regards and all the best for the New Year.
    • Eb
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2011
        Patrick,

        First the GOOD news.

        There is a "spell-checking" dictionary available, in English and/or German. I've never tried two languages at the same time - don't know if it's possible.

        However, for translating text, you would theoretically have to build your own dictionary. The basic method would be to create a library of "clips", where each clip (NoteTab's name for macros) would be the word in one language, and the content the translation. For example:

        H="snack"
        imbiss

        Select the two lines, copy them to the clipboard, and in NoteTab open a test library (or any of the built-in ones), make sure the clipbook is open (toggle open and close with F4), and right-click in the clipbook, then select "Add from clipboard".

        Next, in the "Tools" menu, enable auto-replace (4th from top).

        Finally in a test document, type the word "snack" (no quotes) and press space.

        Now the BAD NEWS:

        A typical vocabulary is in the TENS of THOUSANDS. You would need a clip for each word, in each direction. In addition you would need a technique for grammar conversion, verb forms, plurals, etc. If I were you I would look at NoteTab's ability to call external tools, then look for language translation tools already on the market, and use NoteTab for the management of these translations.

        I would guess that German-English tools are more readily available in Germany, than in English-language countries.

        Good luck.

        Eb

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2011
          Hallo Eb!

          First the GOOD news.

          You have understood, or deduced from what I wrote, what it is that I want to do.

          The second piece of good news, is that my dictionary is a representation of all of the words I use on my desktop writing. There are three groups of words with the following list sizes.

          Communication words (conventional usage) = some 2.000 words.
          Topic, theme or search words = some 1.000 words.
          Words describing processes I perform = some 750 words.

          For the first eBook, I will probably use some 1.000 words. These words will for all their uses result in some 15 to 20.000 dictionary entries.

          The tagging for the usage has been created. The dictionary is in the process of being laboriously built.

          If I were to create a glossary of phrases rather than a dictionary of words, then a text of some 15.000 words would produce 1.000 sentences or 6.000 phrases.

          The clips concept would allow me to produce smaller glossaries based on phrase types.

          This route I will take for the first release.

          How to publish a HTML.exe based eBook with an added dictionary, I am still working around. If you have any ideas I would welcome them.

          Regards and a Happy New Year, Patrick.

          -------- Original-Nachricht --------

        • flo.gehrke
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2011
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Forkin" <pm4kin@...> wrote:

            > I have today decided to buy the product and use it as a base
            > to publish a description of a model to translate texts I write
            > in English into German...

            Hi Patrick,

            Here's a little "NT Translating Engine"...;-)

            Take the following list and save it as MYDIC.TXT:

            beginning|Anfang
            God|Gott
            created|schuf
            heaven|Himmel
            and|und
            earth|Erde
            was|war
            without|ohne
            darkness|Finsternis
            upon|auf
            face|Angesicht
            deep|Tiefe
            Spirit|Geist
            waters|Wassern

            (avoid empty line at the end!)

            Next, take the following text and insert it into an empty document:

            In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

            Now start the following clip:

            ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
            ^!Toolbar New Document
            ^!InsertFile ^$GetDocumentPath$MYDIC.TXT
            ^!Replace "|" >> "^P" AWS
            ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
            ^!SetArray %Dic%=^$GetText$
            ^!Close Discard
            ^!Set %i%=1
            ^!Jump 1

            :Loop
            ^!Set %Find%=^%Dic^%i%%
            ^!Inc %i%
            ^!Set %Repl%=^%Dic^%i%%
            ^!Replace "^%Find%" >> "^%Repl%" AWS
            ^!Inc %i%
            ^!If ^%i% > ^%Dic0% End
            ^!Goto Loop

            I hope it's not too bad for the beginning...

            Regards,
            Flo
          • Patrick Forkin
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2011
              Hallo Flo!

              Thanks for the response. My real problem lies in being able to give English words, role tags, to allow them to be translated correctly.

              As examples:
              1. the English direct article "The" has 24 variants in German
              2. the indirect article has 12 variants
              3. Adjectives have 24 and
              4. Nouns have 4.

              Adding the effects of inflection with neuter nouns used with indirect article are an additional issue.
              One can either develop a rule based dictionary structure or a table based. I chose to go down the table based route for a variety of reasons.

              I will look at what you have snt me, for which I thanke you, and let you know the results.

              Thanks and regards. Happy New Year, Patrick.
              p.s.
              Are you German?
              Your name sounds german and you have a German email address.
              If you are, wher are you located?
              I live in the vacinity of Passau in Niederbayern.

              -------- Original-Nachricht --------

            • Eb
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2011
                I've had occasion to toy around with multiple verb forms.
                It never led to anything, but the approach I took was to create a database file (just a text file, with comma-delimiters) containing the list of verbs of interest.

                The fields were organized under the headers of
                "I,you,he,she,it,we,you,they,(repeating in the verious tenses, to all possible forms (for example 'I will have,you will have,...)"

                I then used a custom function to extract the proper form for a given verb, by passing the index to the desired tense and person.

                ^$UdfGetVerb(^%verb%;^%tense%;^%person%)$

                The guts of the Udf was:

                ^!Set %result%=Error message
                ^!SetArray %args%=^&
                ;test args for numbers, then:
                ^!Set %field%=^$Calc(^%tense%*^%person%)$
                ^!Set %Result%=^$GetField(^%args1%;^%field%)$

                Once created, the template clip (containing multiple udf calls) would run the udf clip each instance, and automatically parse as the correct verb form.

                Good luck.

                Eb

                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Forkin" <pm4kin@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the response. My real problem lies in being able to give English words, role tags, to allow them to be translated correctly.
                >
                > As examples:
                > 1. the English direct article "The" has 24 variants in German

                Hmm, are you sure you're not overating the scope of 'the'?

                > 2. the indirect article has 12 variants
                > 3. Adjectives have 24 and
                > 4. Nouns have 4.

                I'd be curious to see the 4 variants for, say, "table".
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2011
                  Eb wrote:
                  > I'd be curious to see the 4 variants for, say, "table".

                  Tisch, Tisches, Tische - three. Actually four different ones are rare
                  (if they exist) because tow tend to be identical, but not always the
                  same two. Compare

                  Tisch, Tisches, Tische, Tisch
                  Mensch, Menschen, Menschen, Menschen

                  In fact this holds true for most languages except English, which is why
                  that is such a good choice for a common second language. In Russian it's
                  not four cases but six.

                  Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                • Eb
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 3, 2011
                    Thanks Axel,

                    I guess I should have asked for the names of the four forms. I can only come up with "singular, plural, and posessive".

                    Singular, posessive, plural, ?
                    Table, table's, tables,

                    Eb

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 3, 2011
                      Eb wrote:
                      > I can only come up with "singular, plural, and posessive".

                      No, it's all singular. Adding in plural would make them eight. I'm
                      neither comfortable with the English nor the German terms, in the
                      Gymnasium (grammar school, not sports stadium) we used the Latin ones:

                      Nominativ: Who are you?
                      Genitiv: Whose is this purse?
                      Dativ: Whom did you give presents to?
                      Akkusatitiv: Whom do you dislike too much to give presents to?
                      or: Whom would you like to punch on the nose?

                      N.B: as you're probably less familiar with the difference between Dativ
                      and Akkusativ look at this sentence:

                      A gave my son a dog for Christmas.
                      A gave a dog my son for Christmas.

                      As in German the Dativ (meinem Sohn, einem Hund) and Akkusativ (meinen
                      Sohn, einen Hund) forms are different, both word orders can be and are
                      used and place the stress on different things. As a general rule while
                      english grammar is simpler, English word order is much more strongly
                      proscribed than in other languages, although in the case above the
                      problem could have been solved by adding a "to" to the second sentence.

                      By the way the English have this lovely traditional idiosyncrasy that us
                      [sic!] foreigners had to learn: "Who wants to help?" "Me". In every
                      other language it would have been "I". Now the Americans don't want to
                      speak English any more (actually, contrary to the written form, spoken
                      American is already unintelligible to English speakers) but something
                      more international. As so often happens they overcompensate and say
                      stuff like "They invited my husband and I for dinner." which is complete
                      gibberish. Here of course it must be "me", as the question is "whom" not
                      "who".

                      (Can you tell I really love this stuff? Language is wonderful and bad
                      use of it, especially many Americanisms in currrent German, rather
                      painful to my ears.)

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 4, 2011
                        Good morning, Flo!

                        Following your steps as I have understood them, I arrive at a point where I have
                        1. A stored MYDIC.txt file.
                        2. An open but not stored document with the suggested text to be translated.
                        3. A second opened document, unstored, with the script.

                        Please do not think that I am stupid, when I ask where do I go from there.

                        When I have done that with your help then I can respond, more intelligently.

                        Regards, Patrick.

                      • Patrick Forkin
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 4, 2011
                          Hallo Axel and other topic mambers!

                          Anyone who had learnt Latin would have also known of the additional case called Ablative, which has long since been dispensed with.

                          Taking the example sentence of:

                          <dat>for Christmas</dat.
                          <dat>for Christmas</dat.

                          All of the phrase elements in the English form are the same as in the German form, in thes examples. I, as an English person, who has spent half of his life in Germany, am in the process of creating the dictionary, to translate around the problem of word-roles which the English language cannot address.

                          I have taken the route of using tables rather than programmed rules to create the words. The basic 2.000 English words will result in around 30.000 dictionary entries.

                          When I am far enough down the road I will explain the model and process in detail. I am at the moment keeping the process close to my chest becaus I wish to publish the model. The created revenue will be put into a fund for children.

                          Regards and a Happy New Year, Patrick Forkin.

                          -------- Original-Nachricht --------

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 4, 2011
                            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Forkin" <pm4kin@...> wrote:

                            > Good morning, Flo!
                            >
                            > Following your steps as I have understood them, I arrive at a
                            > point where I have
                            > 1. A stored MYDIC.txt file.
                            > 2. An open but not stored document with the suggested text to
                            > be translated.
                            > 3. A second opened document, unstored, with the script.
                            >
                            > Please do not think that I am stupid, when I ask where do I go from there.
                            >
                            > When I have done that with your help then I can respond, more intelligently.
                            >
                            > Regards, Patrick.

                            Patrick,

                            Regarding...

                            #1: Please note that MYDIC.TXT must be stored in the default directory ...\Documents.

                            #3: You have to store that script (or "clip" in NT-terminology) in a clipbook. For an efficient use of NT you will have to become acquainted with clips anyway. For further details, please have a look at "Help | How to... | Create Clipbook Libraries".

                            BTW: Of course, my "engine" wasn't meant for complete translations. It was derived from further developed clips I use for indexing text databases (creating descriptors, thesaurus, stop-words, standardizing terminology etc). Certainly, it could be used for tagging words.

                            In my view, the advantage over solutions based on user dictionaries and autoreplace is:

                            1. you have a better control of the vocabulary since it is stored in a normal TXT file.

                            2. You can use Regular Expressions which offer an approach to dealing with flexion forms, synonyms etc (and even word tagging).

                            Regards,
                            Flo

                            ...with greetings to you from Oberbayern (Upper Bavaria)