strip html tags

  • Don
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2010
      removes all return characters -- is this intentional -- that isn't html

      So my many lined file becomes a single line ...
    • Alan C
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2010
        On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 7:02 PM, Don <don@...> wrote:

        > removes all return characters -- is this intentional -- that isn't html
        >
        > So my many lined file becomes a single line ...

        As you said, it's not html markup. I've no idea if it's intentional. Is it
        the native clip/library bundled with/in Notetab?

        I know that some people save their html files as a unix type/kind rather
        than a DOS or windows type/kind. Doing so makes the file size smaller.
        Smaller file loads faster in the web browser.

        But, OTOH, if you don't have very many lines or if you have only a one line
        html file then the size difference of only one line ending of either of the
        two mentioned kinds would be so small that it would not even be relevant.

        --
        Alan.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 13, 2010
          Don wrote:
          > So my many lined file becomes a single line ...

          I presume this is intentional. In HTML linefeeds are meaningless and you
          can insert them to make the source better legible. Most editors nowadays
          use the <CR><LF> to makr paragraphs and line lengths are formatted on
          the fly. In fact, the first thing I have to do after copying text from
          anywhere before I can paste it somewhere else usually is to remove the
          linefeeds first. So for me this NoteTab function saves an extra step I
          would have to add anyway.

          Axel
        • Don
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 13, 2010
            Hi Axel,

            It causes me to add in extra silly filler characters for both tabs and
            \r\n essentially and then put back what was already there. It isn't
            html so it should not be removed in my opinion with strip html -- it
            should be if I asked it to compress white space. Eventually I will have
            a file big enough that putting it all on one line will cause me issues
            too I think. I don't get the value of it to be honest in this context
            even though I understand what you are saying.

            I use the join command when I copy paste more and more because of random
            line feeds inserted here and there.

            By necessity I just wrote a clip to save my formatting and then strip
            the html and put back the formatting.

            Don

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 13, 2010
              Don wrote:
              > Eventually I will have a file big enough that putting it all
              > on one line will cause me issues too I think.

              Do you write in one homgenous block with not paragraphs at all?

              > By necessity I just wrote a clip to save my formatting and
              > then strip the html and put back the formatting.

              Ah well, don't we all do that sometime for some reasons? I accept that
              styles vary. All I can say is that Eric's decision works fine for me and
              for you the power of clips provide an easy workaround.

              BUT: When will flexible highlighting come at last? I hate to have to use
              another far less powerfull editor for LaTeX, but I'm too used
              highlighted syntax to make do without now.