Re: Other-than ASCII characters...

  • Eb
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2010
      Paul,

      If you need to display the delta in NoteTab, look at NoteTab's Samples folder, specifically the Greek files.

      NT detects the code page (mostly) and loads the cp_Grrek.* files as "Greek" files. If not, you can specify the codepage by name (overriding the default), when you open a file.

      Note, that this is an obsolete mechanism, that will display ascii 127 characters normally, and extended ascii characters per the code page (Greek in this example). As a side effect you will lose other extended character sets, like German Umlaute. The Greek delta shares ASCII 196 with the German/Swedish "Ä".

      Unfortunately the WIndows code pages define the entire document. So you cannot disply both the Ä and the Delta in the same document.

      An alternative to going Greek is to use ƌ and the appropriate DTD header for html, or a different editor, that displays Unicode 16.

      Cheers,

      Eb

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <xboa721@...> wrote:

      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@> wrote:
      >
      > > If you know the ASCII/Ansi code of the character, just pop it into
      > > ^$DecToChar(ASCII/Ansi)$ and place that function into the InsertText command.
      >
      > Ok, thanks Eb however it's not quite so simple.. apparently!
      >
      > I want to use a character symbol from the Extended character set. Specifically Hex code \x0394 which has the decimal equivalent of 916.
      >
      > Now when you try to use ^$DecToChar(916) it prints nothing because 916 is obviously greater than the standard extended ascii set of 256 codes.
      >
      > The font I'm using definitely has the required characters. How can I perhaps 'trick' NTP to display the code?
      >
      > Paul

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2010
        Thanks Eb,
        That's most helpful. As I suspected, however, I'm stuck with simple extended Ascii. Generating html is perhaps a future consideration though least useful in this case.

        Perhaps it's worth mentioning that even running a text based editor (which has many advantages over wysiwyg IMHO) catering for unicode/extended code pages would be useful. I haven't yet found a unicode monospaced font though the pickings are getting richer..

        Anyway, the fonts I use (Consolas or Liberation Mono) both have extended code pages that if NoteTab catered for I could display.

        e.g. including mathematical symbols would be good while maintaining the German umlaut, the Hollandish/Norwegian slashed 'o', accented eaze and i suppose a few ppl still use the French circumflex!! Well, that's my 2 cents worth.

        Thanks again.
        Paul