Other-than ASCII characters...

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
      Can we insert special characters into a text document?

      I'd like to use ^!InsertText to output my results and I'd like to display a capital Delta symbol as a single character rather than write DeltaUPR, for example.

      The symbol is not contained within the Courier New font I'm using for NT's Document Font (Tool-Options-Document Tab) but perhaps there's a way if I use another font for example.

      However, the problem remains, I don't seem to be able to *print* a hex code to the screen, although I can search for it using regex.

      Is this possible?

      Cheers,
      Paul
    • Eb
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
        Sure you can.

        If you know the ASCII/Ansi code of the character, just pop it into
        ^$DecToChar(ASCII/Ansi)$ and place that function into the InsertText command.

        Ascii or Ansi depends on the document.
        Look up the code using Windows CharacterMap (I think the NoteTab Utilities library has a link to it).

        Cheers.

        Eb

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <xboa721@...> wrote:

        > Can we insert special characters into a text document?
        >
        > I'd like to use ^!InsertText to output my results and I'd like to display a capital Delta symbol as a single character rather than write DeltaUPR, for example.
        >
        > The symbol is not contained within the Courier New font I'm using for NT's Document Font (Tool-Options-Document Tab) but perhaps there's a way if I use another font for example.
        >
        > However, the problem remains, I don't seem to be able to *print* a hex code to the screen, although I can search for it using regex.
        >
        > Is this possible?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Paul

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2010
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

          > If you know the ASCII/Ansi code of the character, just pop it into
          > ^$DecToChar(ASCII/Ansi)$ and place that function into the InsertText command.

          Ok, thanks Eb however it's not quite so simple.. apparently!

          I want to use a character symbol from the Extended character set. Specifically Hex code \x0394 which has the decimal equivalent of 916.

          Now when you try to use ^$DecToChar(916) it prints nothing because 916 is obviously greater than the standard extended ascii set of 256 codes.

          The font I'm using definitely has the required characters. How can I perhaps 'trick' NTP to display the code?

          Paul
        • loro
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2010
            Paul wrote:
            >I want to use a character symbol from the Extended character
            >set. Specifically Hex code \x0394 which has the decimal equivalent of 916.
            >
            >Now when you try to use ^$DecToChar(916) it prints nothing because
            >916 is obviously greater than the standard extended ascii set of 256 codes.
            >
            >The font I'm using definitely has the required characters. How can
            >I perhaps 'trick' NTP to display the code?

            AFAIK you can't. Delta is far outside ANSI, not among the extended characters.

            Lotta.
          • Eb
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2010
              Paul,

              If you need to display the delta in NoteTab, look at NoteTab's Samples folder, specifically the Greek files.

              NT detects the code page (mostly) and loads the cp_Grrek.* files as "Greek" files. If not, you can specify the codepage by name (overriding the default), when you open a file.

              Note, that this is an obsolete mechanism, that will display ascii 127 characters normally, and extended ascii characters per the code page (Greek in this example). As a side effect you will lose other extended character sets, like German Umlaute. The Greek delta shares ASCII 196 with the German/Swedish "Ä".

              Unfortunately the WIndows code pages define the entire document. So you cannot disply both the Ä and the Delta in the same document.

              An alternative to going Greek is to use ƌ and the appropriate DTD header for html, or a different editor, that displays Unicode 16.

              Cheers,

              Eb

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <xboa721@...> wrote:

              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@> wrote:
              >
              > > If you know the ASCII/Ansi code of the character, just pop it into
              > > ^$DecToChar(ASCII/Ansi)$ and place that function into the InsertText command.
              >
              > Ok, thanks Eb however it's not quite so simple.. apparently!
              >
              > I want to use a character symbol from the Extended character set. Specifically Hex code \x0394 which has the decimal equivalent of 916.
              >
              > Now when you try to use ^$DecToChar(916) it prints nothing because 916 is obviously greater than the standard extended ascii set of 256 codes.
              >
              > The font I'm using definitely has the required characters. How can I perhaps 'trick' NTP to display the code?
              >
              > Paul

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 2010
                Thanks Eb,
                That's most helpful. As I suspected, however, I'm stuck with simple extended Ascii. Generating html is perhaps a future consideration though least useful in this case.

                Perhaps it's worth mentioning that even running a text based editor (which has many advantages over wysiwyg IMHO) catering for unicode/extended code pages would be useful. I haven't yet found a unicode monospaced font though the pickings are getting richer..

                Anyway, the fonts I use (Consolas or Liberation Mono) both have extended code pages that if NoteTab catered for I could display.

                e.g. including mathematical symbols would be good while maintaining the German umlaut, the Hollandish/Norwegian slashed 'o', accented eaze and i suppose a few ppl still use the French circumflex!! Well, that's my 2 cents worth.

                Thanks again.