How to copy and paste a line without activating ^* ?

  • joy8388608
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 4, 2010
      I'm having an issue with my clip that extracts lines from one doc to another when the line contains ^* such as

      ^******************this is line 1

      I'm using
      ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$ \ ^!Paste
      and a few other things, but it seems to be the GetSelection that is interpreting it.

      How else would I copy a line without this happening?

      Also, where does ^* get set? It is certainly displaying one of my folders, but that folder is not open or being used now although I did use it earlier today.

      Thanks!
      Joy
    • Don
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 4, 2010
        what if you put "^$GetSelection$" in quotes

        On 11/4/2010 4:20 PM, joy8388608 wrote:
        > I'm having an issue with my clip that extracts lines from one doc to another when the line contains ^* such as
        >
        > ^******************this is line 1
        >
        > I'm using
        > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$ \ ^!Paste
        > and a few other things, but it seems to be the GetSelection that is interpreting it.
        >
        > How else would I copy a line without this happening?
      • loro
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 4, 2010
          joy8388608 wrote:
          >Also, where does ^* get set? It is certainly displaying one of my
          >folders, but that folder is not open or being used now although I
          >did use it earlier today.

          ^** is one of two tokens for the focused document and you are right,
          it's interpreted in ^$GetSelection$ and replaced with the path to the
          file (or to a temp file if the document isn't saved. See about tokens
          in the ordinary Help file (not Clip Help). The section is called Clip Basics.

          I don't know how the opening of a folder happens, but I guess it has
          to do with the rest of your clip.

          Can't think of a good way to stop this from happening right off, but
          maybe someone else can. It happens if you use ^!Menu Edit/Copy too
          and ^$StrReplace()$ obviously doesn't work because it's too late... hmm.

          Lotta
        • Peter G Henry
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 4, 2010
            Hi Joy
            I am not very good now at clips but was intrigued with your problem, I used the clip below to test and if ^* the output is not good. But if there is a space between like in my test below it works every time very curious. As far as I can tell there is no other combination that has the same effect. The folder it references is the last folder you accessed before running the clip. Hope this helps.

            kindest regards
            Peter

            ^!Select All
            ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$
            ^!TOOLBAR New Document
            ^!PasteSelect

            ^mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm^
            ^------------------------------^
            ^ ******************************^
            ^aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa^
            ^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
            ^$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
            ^""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            ^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

          • diodeom
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 4, 2010
              joy8388608 <mycroftj@...> wrote:

              > I'm having an issue with my clip that extracts lines from one doc to another when the line contains ^* such as
              >
              > ^******************this is line 1
              >
              > I'm using
              > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$ \ ^!Paste
              > and a few other things, but it seems to be the GetSelection that is interpreting it.
              >
              > How else would I copy a line without this happening?

              To spare NT any possible confusion over what to evaluate and what to leave verbatim, carets could be substituted with some unique char/s beforehand, e.g.:

              ^!SetClipboard ^$StrReplace(^;@@;^$GetSelection$;0;0)$

              Then they could be reinstated in your destination doc:

              ^!PasteSelect
              ^!Replace "@@" >> "^" HS

              If your source data lines only occasionally contain what NT perceives as "code in need of evaluation" (like this caret/asterisk combo), you could perhaps test for it first (with ^!IfMatch) and fork accordingly.
            • diodeom
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 4, 2010
                > ^!PasteSelect
                > ^!Replace "@@" >> "^" HS

                Sorry, the options should be HAS (to cover all instances).
              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 4, 2010
                  Peter,

                  Lotta explained what is going on here.

                  This issue arises because ^** and ^## have special meaning to the Clip
                  Processor. I believe this is better documented in the current help files
                  than it once was.

                  One work around would be to replace ^** with a unique place holder, do the
                  other work, then put it back. I am not sure how this would work. The key is
                  to trick the clip interpreter or avoid it interpreting the string(s) that
                  result in a problem for one's clips.

                  I am surprised that you did not have the problem with ^! indicating the
                  beginning of a command, and ^$ indicating a function, or the ^&. Perhaps it
                  is because there are multiple !, $, or & in the samples.

                  I vaguely recall this coming up a long time ago. Perhaps in the list
                  archives there is something, perhaps by Jody Adair or Larry Thomas, two
                  great contributors to the lists in years past. We all miss them. They would
                  jump on this challenge as they had the time, skill, ability, and persistence
                  to figure out these issues. NoteTab is what it is, in part to those two.

                  HTH,

                  ~ Larry

                  On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Peter G Henry <lungtroll@...>wrote:

                  > Hi Joy
                  > I am not very good now at clips but was intrigued with your problem, I used
                  > the clip below to test and if ^* the output is not good. But if there is a
                  > space between like in my test below it works every time very curious. As far
                  > as I can tell there is no other combination that has the same effect. The
                  > folder it references is the last folder you accessed before running the
                  > clip. Hope this helps.
                  >
                  > kindest regards
                  > Peter
                  >
                  > ^!Select All
                  > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$
                  > ^!TOOLBAR New Document
                  > ^!PasteSelect
                  >
                  > ^mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm^
                  > ^------------------------------^
                  > ^ ******************************^
                  > ^aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa^
                  > ^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                  > ^$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
                  > ^""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
                  > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                  > ^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 4, 2010
                    joy8388608 wrote:
                    > I'm having an issue with my clip that extracts lines from one doc
                    to another when the line contains C:\Documents and
                    Settings\User\Desktop\efo~1 such as

                    > ^******************this is line 1
                    >
                    > I'm using
                    > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$ \ ^!Paste
                    > and a few other things, but it seems to be the GetSelection that
                    is interpreting it.

                    > How else would I copy a line without this happening?
                    >
                    > Also, where does C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\efo~1 get
                    set? It is certainly displaying one of my folders, but that folder is
                    not open or being used now although I did use it earlier today.

                    > Thanks!
                    > Joy

                    Joy,

                    I'd like to see your clip, if it isn't too large, and an example of
                    you're actually working on.

                    I've had this problem and substitution with very unique characters is
                    the remedy I used to overcome the problem.

                    Show us a good example.

                    ºvº SL_day# 308 - created 2010.11.04_22.53.24

                    Rules guys wish girls knew...
                    • Sunday = Sports.
                    • It's like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be.

                    € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                  • Eb
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 6, 2010
                      The solution I use is to spread the past over two lines:

                      ^!InsertText ^%caret%
                      ^!InsertText ** etc

                      This is the same approach as pasting a separator, and then replacing it, but without the replacing step (the separator is the neline).

                      Cheers,

                      Eb

                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@...> wrote:

                      > I'm having an issue with my clip that extracts lines from one doc to another when the line contains ^* such as
                      >
                      > ^******************this is line 1
                      >
                      > I'm using
                      > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$ \ ^!Paste
                      > and a few other things, but it seems to be the GetSelection that is interpreting it.
                      >
                      > How else would I copy a line without this happening?
                      >
                      > Also, where does ^* get set? It is certainly displaying one of my folders, but that folder is not open or being used now although I did use it earlier today.
                      >
                      > Thanks!
                      > Joy

                    • Eb
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 6, 2010
                        it seems the Internet has swallowed two of my letters (e and w).
                        If anyone finds them, pleas return them to this thread.

                        Thanks

                        -------------------------------------pastE

                        > ^!InsertText ^%caret%
                        > ^!InsertText ** etc
                        >
                        > This is the same approach as pasting a separator, and then replacing it, but without the replacing step (the separator is the neline).
                        neWline

                        > Cheers,
                        >

                        > Eb
                        >

                        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I'm having an issue with my clip that extracts lines from one doc to another when the line contains ^* such as
                        > >
                        > > ^******************this is line 1
                        > >
                        > > I'm using
                        > > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$ \ ^!Paste
                        > > and a few other things, but it seems to be the GetSelection that is interpreting it.
                        > >
                        > > How else would I copy a line without this happening?
                        > >
                        > > Also, where does ^* get set? It is certainly displaying one of my folders, but that folder is not open or being used now although I did use it earlier today.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks!
                        > > Joy

                      • joy8388608
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 7, 2010
                          Sorry, but you misunderstand.
                          I have a clip that searches for a string and copies each line containing that string to a new doc.

                          Pretty much it's a find, select line, getselection, switch to new doc, paste line (loop).

                          When the line containing the search string starts with (or contains, I suppose) the ^* or ^** string, the substitution is automatically done by the getselection function. I don't know the contents of the lines being copied - only that they contain my search string.

                          I'm sure I could do something like replace all ^* with a unique string before processing in the orig doc and then change back in the orig and new doc after copies, or get the 'value' of ^* and change that string (back) to ^* in the new doc (or something like that) but that's not the point. I was wondering if there was a way to do something like getselection without causing the substitution. Apparently not.

                          I was surprised to find ^$GetSelection$ triggered the substitution. I did know about the ^* (or I would have gone mad trying to figure out what was going on!) but the documentation was not clear on this. I thought it would only happen when a clip was executing a program and passing the doc name (^*) as a parameter. i.e. ^!WordPad ^*

                          This is not a huge problem but I thought there would be a simple answer. Perhaps not but if anyone thinks of anything...

                          Thanks again for the responses. It's wonderful to have so many knowledgeable and helpful people willing to answer questions and help others.

                          Joy

                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 7, 2010
                            joy8388608 wrote:
                            > I have a clip that searches for a string and copies each line
                            > containing that string to a new doc.

                            Have you tried ^$GetLine$? (I must admit I have not.) If it is the whole
                            line you want anyway this will also simplify your find string.

                            Axel
                          • diodeom
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 7, 2010
                              joy8388608 <mycroftj@...> wrote:

                              > (...) I was wondering if there was a way to do something like getselection without causing the substitution. Apparently not.

                              To clarify, there are circumstances where ^$GetSelection$ does not jump to evaluate ^*, at least not for me, e.g. when placed as an argument inside the ^$StrReplace()$ function (as shown in my previous message). And here's an outline of another working solution:

                              ^!IfSame "^" "^$StrCopyLeft(^$GetSelection$;1)$" Next Else NoCaret
                              ^!SetClipboard ^$StrDeleteLeft(^$GetSelection$;1)$
                              ;...
                              ;In the destination doc
                              ^!Menu File/New
                              ^!InsertCode ^^$GetClipboard$
                              ^!Goto End

                              :NoCaret
                              ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$
                              ;...
                              ;In the destination doc
                              ^!Menu File/New
                              ^!Paste
                            • diodeom
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 7, 2010
                                joy8388608 wrote:
                                > (...)
                                > I was surprised to find ^$GetSelection$ triggered the substitution. I did know about the ^* (or I would have gone mad trying to figure out what was going on!) but the documentation was not clear on this. I thought it would only happen when a clip was executing a program and passing the doc name (^*) as a parameter. i.e. ^!WordPad ^*
                                >
                                > This is not a huge problem but I thought there would be a simple answer. Perhaps not but if anyone thinks of anything...

                                I'd think that unless NT engages in some potentially troublesome guesswork regarding carets and their context, or until there is some special syntax provided (besides ^!InsertCode and, in template files, ClipCode keyword) to indicate certain characters or constructs as meaningless to the interpreter, it's probably pretty practical to just love thy neighboring caret, recognize its exceptional significance, and apply preventive measures or workarounds as needed.
                              • ebbtidalflats
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 8, 2010
                                  Well, then you have your answer in some of the other posts, to replace all carets in the SOURCE document with a token, before you find and copy a specific string, then replace the tokens with the caret in both the SOURCE AND TARGET when all strings are copied.

                                  Just be sure to use a token not found in either the source or target.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Eb

                                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@...> wrote:

                                  > Sorry, but you misunderstand.
                                  > I have a clip that searches for a string and copies each line containing that string to a new doc.
                                  >
                                  > Pretty much it's a find, select line, getselection, switch to new doc, paste line (loop).

                                  > When the line containing the search string starts with (or contains, I suppose) the ^* or ^** string, the substitution is automatically done by the getselection function. I don't know the contents of the lines being copied - only that they contain my search string.
                                  >
                                  > I'm sure I could do something like replace all ^* with a unique string before processing in the orig doc and then change back in the orig and new doc after copies, or get the 'value' of ^* and change that string (back) to ^* in the new doc (or something like that) but that's not the point. I was wondering if there was a way to do something like getselection without causing the substitution. Apparently not.
                                  >
                                  > I was surprised to find ^$GetSelection$ triggered the substitution. I did know about the ^* (or I would have gone mad trying to figure out what was going on!) but the documentation was not clear on this. I thought it would only happen when a clip was executing a program and passing the doc name (^*) as a parameter. i.e. ^!WordPad ^*
                                  >
                                  > This is not a huge problem but I thought there would be a simple answer. Perhaps not but if anyone thinks of anything...
                                  >
                                  > Thanks again for the responses. It's wonderful to have so many knowledgeable and helpful people willing to answer questions and help others.
                                  >
                                  > Joy
                                  >

                                  > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > The solution I use is to spread the past over two lines:
                                  > >
                                  > > ^!InsertText ^%caret%
                                  > > ^!InsertText ** etc
                                  > >
                                  > > This is the same approach as pasting a separator, and then replacing it, but without the replacing step (the separator is the neline).
                                  > >
                                  > > Cheers,
                                  > >

                                  > > Eb
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I'm having an issue with my clip that extracts lines from one doc to another when the line contains ^* such as
                                  > > >
                                  > > > ^******************this is line 1
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I'm using
                                  > > > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$ \ ^!Paste
                                  > > > and a few other things, but it seems to be the GetSelection that is interpreting it.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > How else would I copy a line without this happening?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Also, where does ^* get set? It is certainly displaying one of my folders, but that folder is not open or being used now although I did use it earlier today.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Thanks!
                                  > > > Joy

                                • joy8388608
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 8, 2010

                                    > joy8388608 wrote:
                                    > > I have a clip that searches for a string and copies each line
                                    > > containing that string to a new doc.
                                    >
                                    > Have you tried ^$GetLine$? (I must admit I have not.) If it is the whole
                                    > line you want anyway this will also simplify your find string.
                                    >
                                    > Axel

                                    ^$GetLine$ translates ^* also but is worse than SelectLine\GetSelection since GetLine does NOT return the CRLF and the other way does.

                                    I just tried to replace all ^* with ^xxxx* but the REPLACE command also translates the ^*. Even ^%CARET%* gets translated!!!

                                    Oh well. This has been interesting and something to remember, but it's not important enough (at least to me) to spend more time on.

                                    But thanks for trying!

                                    Joy
                                  • John Shotsky
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 8, 2010
                                      You need to use an escape character to process these characters.

                                      Replace \^\* with xxxx works just fine.

                                      <http://recipetoolz.com/> http://recipetoolz.com

                                      > > I have a clip that searches for a string and copies each line
                                      > > containing that string to a new doc.
                                      >
                                      > Have you tried ^$GetLine$? (I must admit I have not.) If it is the whole
                                      > line you want anyway this will also simplify your find string.
                                      >
                                      > Axel

                                      ^$GetLine$ translates ^* also but is worse than SelectLine\GetSelection since GetLine does NOT return the CRLF and the
                                      other way does.

                                      I just tried to replace all ^* with ^xxxx* but the REPLACE command also translates the ^*. Even ^%CARET%* gets
                                      translated!!!

                                      Oh well. This has been interesting and something to remember, but it's not important enough (at least to me) to spend
                                      more time on.

                                      But thanks for trying!

                                      Joy

                                    • abairheart
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 9, 2010
                                        You'll have to make more of an effort to read the replies to your posts, if you actually WANT help.

                                        The problem is the caret, not the asterisk.
                                        So search and replace ONLY the caret, then restore it when done.

                                        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > joy8388608 wrote:
                                        > > > I have a clip that searches for a string and copies each line
                                        > > > containing that string to a new doc.
                                        > >
                                        > > Have you tried ^$GetLine$? (I must admit I have not.) If it is the whole
                                        > > line you want anyway this will also simplify your find string.
                                        > >
                                        > > Axel
                                        > >

                                        > ^$GetLine$ translates ^* also but is worse than SelectLine\GetSelection since GetLine does NOT return the CRLF and the other way does.
                                        >
                                        > I just tried to replace all ^* with ^xxxx* but the REPLACE command also translates the ^*. Even ^%CARET%* gets translated!!!
                                        >
                                        > Oh well. This has been interesting and something to remember, but it's not important enough (at least to me) to spend more time on.
                                        >
                                        > But thanks for trying!
                                        >
                                        > Joy

                                      • hsavage
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 9, 2010
                                          airhead's wrote:
                                          > You'll have to make more of an effort to read the replies to your
                                          posts, if you actually WANT help.

                                          > The problem is the caret, not the asterisk.
                                          > So search and replace ONLY the caret, then restore it when done.

                                          Joy, airhead's,

                                          As indicated in this email the only character causing the problem is
                                          the caret, the lines below, properly placed in your clip, should
                                          solve your problem.

                                          I have clips, in use for some time, for this same problem and this
                                          should take care or it.

                                          H="change carets"
                                          ;_sample substitution characters - ¥¤§«¢¿?
                                          ;_
                                          ;_This assumes you will not be
                                          ;_saving the sourcefile after all
                                          ;_search operations are completed.
                                          ;_
                                          ^!Replace "^%caret%" >> "¿?" TWHSA
                                          ;_
                                          ;_place this line in your clip where
                                          ;_it only operates on SOURCE file.
                                          ;_add above line at beginning of
                                          ;_clip to replace all carets in
                                          ;_SOURCE before doing search.
                                          ;_SOURCE file must be focused.
                                          ;_¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
                                          ;_to restore any/all carets in DEST
                                          ;_
                                          ^!Replace "¿?" >> "^%caret%" TWHSA
                                          ;_
                                          ;_place this line where it operates only
                                          ;_on DEST after each PASTE operation.

                                          Use whatever special characters you choose to swap with caret. I
                                          find them using the Windows C:\WINDOWS\system32\charmap.exe utility.

                                          ºvº SL_day# 313 - created 2010.11.09_18.48.33

                                          Rules guys wish girls knew...
                                          • Yes and No are perfectly acceptable answers.

                                          € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                                        • flo.gehrke
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 10, 2010
                                            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@...> wrote:

                                            > Sorry, but you misunderstand.
                                            > I have a clip that searches for a string and copies each line
                                            > containing that string to a new doc.

                                            ^$GetSelection$ is prevented from interpreting that ^** token if the search is being executed with a RegEx.

                                            Given a line like...

                                            ^***line

                                            Combined with diodeom's trick (deleting the leading caret and inserting it later) the whole job could be...

                                            ^!Jump 1
                                            ^!Find "\^\Q***\Eline" RS
                                            ^!SetClipboard ^$StrDeleteLeft(^$GetSelection$;1)$
                                            ^!Toolbar New Document
                                            ^!InsertCode ^^$GetClipboard$

                                            Regards,
                                            Flo
                                          • flo.gehrke
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 10, 2010

                                              > ^$GetSelection$ is prevented from interpreting that ^** token if the
                                              > search is being executed with a RegEx.

                                              Sorry, that's nonsense ;-)

                                              The RegEx is just a solution for executing ^!Find without interpreting ^** as a NT-token. It's diodeom's trick which prevents ^$GetSelection$ from interpreting that token.

                                              Nevertheless, that it's the whole clip that might contribute to Joy's problem...

                                              Flo