set file attribute of current file

  • Don
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
      I want to turn off read only for current file ... when I download files
      they are always in read only mode. Is there a way to just turn that off
      (it did not used to to this)?

      Is there a clip way?
      ^!SetFileAttr "^$GetExpandedName()$" -R
    • loro
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
        Don wrote:
        >I want to turn off read only for current file ... when I download files
        >they are always in read only mode. Is there a way to just turn that off
        >(it did not used to to this)?
        >
        >Is there a clip way?
        >^!SetFileAttr "^$GetExpandedName()$" -R

        Does "it" refer to Notetab? Do you mean read-only in Notetab or on disk?

        Lotta
      • Don
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
          well if I download a text file off of the internet it opens as read only
          and I run a clip and nothing happens because it's read only

          On 10/17/2010 12:55 PM, loro wrote:
          > Don wrote:
          >> I want to turn off read only for current file ... when I download files
          >> they are always in read only mode. Is there a way to just turn that off
          >> (it did not used to to this)?
          >>
          >> Is there a clip way?
          >> ^!SetFileAttr "^$GetExpandedName()$" -R
          >
          > Does "it" refer to Notetab? Do you mean read-only in Notetab or on disk?
          >
          > Lotta
        • loro
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
            Don wrote:
            >well if I download a text file off of the internet it opens as read only
            >and I run a clip and nothing happens because it's read only

            But have you checked the disk properties? My guess is that Notetab
            protects a Unicode file. Check the status bar and then go to Document
            | Read-Only .

            Lotta
          • Don
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
              Lost me there Lotta -- status bar where?

              On 10/17/2010 1:37 PM, loro wrote:
              > Don wrote:
              >> well if I download a text file off of the internet it opens as read only
              >> and I run a clip and nothing happens because it's read only
              >
              > But have you checked the disk properties? My guess is that Notetab
              > protects a Unicode file. Check the status bar and then go to Document
              > | Read-Only .
              >
              > Lotta
            • Don
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                Aha, I think I got it -- so I click on document, disk file properties in
                notetab. Untick read only. Will this stick is the next question.

                On 10/17/2010 1:37 PM, loro wrote:
                > Don wrote:
                >> well if I download a text file off of the internet it opens as read only
                >> and I run a clip and nothing happens because it's read only
                >
                > But have you checked the disk properties? My guess is that Notetab
                > protects a Unicode file. Check the status bar and then go to Document
                > | Read-Only .
                >
                > Lotta
              • Don
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                  Actually doesn't work ... still write protected.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                    >Lost me there Lotta -- status bar where?

                    Notetab.

                    Lotta
                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                      >Actually doesn't work ... still write protected.

                      So it was read-only on disk? I suspected it was read-only only in
                      Notetab. Maybe it's both. As said, go to the Document menu and see if
                      it's made Read-only in Notetab. It's the very last item on the menu.
                      If it is ticked, untick it.

                      Lotta
                    • diodeom
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                        Don <don@...> wrote:

                        > well if I download a text file off of the internet it opens as read only
                        > and I run a clip and nothing happens because it's read only

                        I think I've experienced something similar (while on Vista) when attempting to run clips on a file opened from the browser download. I had to Save As (under another name) in order to gain full control.
                      • loro
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                          diodeom wrote:
                          >I think I've experienced something similar (while on Vista) when
                          >attempting to run clips on a file opened from the browser download.
                          >I had to Save As (under another name) in order to gain full control.

                          If it is a Unicode file, Notetab has a very strange behavior, or at
                          least 4.95 has. Haven't checked if it's still there. If you Save As
                          the file becomes editable, but only for the current session. If you
                          close and reopen the document it's read-only again and still Unicode.
                          Go figure.

                          Lotta
                        • John Shotsky
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                            A file opened from email or internet, and not explicitly saved on disk usually resides in a
                            temporary folder and is read only, even if it is plain text. I get that from email downloads all the
                            time. However, if you explicitly save the file in a location you want to use, the read only
                            attribute is removed. For example, if I right click an attachment in email, and choose save as, it
                            is not read only. If I just double click it, it opens in NoteTab and is read only.

                            Likewise, if you are working with a read only version of a file, and uncheck the read only attribute
                            in NoteTab, it is editable in NoteTab, but the disk version is still write protected. You have to
                            save as a different name/location to prevent the read only action. I wish there was a way to block
                            NoteTab from automatically assigning read only to downloads and clicked attachments. I don't see any
                            value in that, and I do it every day. I have just gotten in the habit of copying the contents of
                            double clicked files and pasting into a new document, and saving that where I want, and then closing
                            the read only version. That can be done via clip too.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                              John Shotsky wrote:
                              >. I wish there was a way to block
                              >NoteTab from automatically assigning read only to downloads and
                              >clicked attachments. I don't see any
                              >value in that, and I do it every day.

                              Is that a Vista thing or something? It has never happened to me.

                              Lotta.
                            • John Shotsky
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                                I'm running Windows 7, Outlook 2007 and IE8, although IE9 does it too. It could be an OS behavior.
                                John

                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                                  John Shotsky wrote:
                                  > If I just double click it, it opens in NoteTab and is read only.

                                  Very sensible too, because that's just what it is. A file on some
                                  external server out there just *is* read-only unless you accessed it
                                  through an FTP connection with write priviledges. There may be a
                                  temporary file somewhere, but that's just a cache and gone when you exit
                                  NoteTab, so altering it would only be deluding yourself. Only after you
                                  have saved-as does a local file exist that you can in fact edit. So all
                                  NoteTab does is reflect the facts of life as they are, very sensible
                                  IMHO.

                                  I have not integrated NoteTab into other workflows the way you have so
                                  for me there is no ambiguity. Downloading to some folder and opening in
                                  NoteTab always is a two-step process for me. Just viewing without
                                  permanent download is done through other, leaner tools. I don't need
                                  editing functions for viewing, only perhaps a save-as.

                                  Axel
                                • Don
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                                    clicking document > read only

                                    Warning: the corresponding disk file is Read-Only. You will have to
                                    save modifications under a different name or change its attribute.

                                    These are plain text files, by the way, but with a csv extension.

                                    If I apply the disk file change, and click document > "read only" it
                                    still won't work ...

                                    Frustrating.

                                    On 10/17/2010 2:13 PM, loro wrote:

                                    >> Actually doesn't work ... still write protected.
                                    >
                                    > So it was read-only on disk? I suspected it was read-only only in
                                    > Notetab. Maybe it's both. As said, go to the Document menu and see if
                                    > it's made Read-only in Notetab. It's the very last item on the menu.
                                    > If it is ticked, untick it.
                                    >
                                    > Lotta

                                  • Don
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                                      I am on XP on this machine. I can save it as to chosen location but
                                      these are very transitory files and I hate to have to.

                                      On 10/17/2010 3:52 PM, loro wrote:
                                      > John Shotsky wrote:
                                      >> . I wish there was a way to block
                                      >> NoteTab from automatically assigning read only to downloads and
                                      >> clicked attachments. I don't see any
                                      >> value in that, and I do it every day.
                                      >
                                      > Is that a Vista thing or something? It has never happened to me.
                                      >
                                      > Lotta.

                                    • John Shotsky
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                                        That's because it isn't affecting the read only attribute on the file on disk, but only on the
                                        version in memory in NoteTab.

                                        You either have to save the file on disk first, which will leave it as read/write, then open it, or
                                        open it from the internet or email, and then copy/paste and save as to have a read/write file.

                                        Warning: the corresponding disk file is Read-Only. You will have to
                                        save modifications under a different name or change its attribute.

                                        These are plain text files, by the way, but with a csv extension.

                                        If I apply the disk file change, and click document > "read only" it
                                        still won't work ...

                                        Frustrating.

                                        On 10/17/2010 2:13 PM, loro wrote:

                                        >> Actually doesn't work ... still write protected.
                                        >
                                        > So it was read-only on disk? I suspected it was read-only only in
                                        > Notetab. Maybe it's both. As said, go to the Document menu and see if
                                        > it's made Read-only in Notetab. It's the very last item on the menu.
                                        > If it is ticked, untick it.
                                        >
                                        > Lotta

                                      • hsavage
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                                          Don wrote:
                                          > clicking document > read only
                                          >
                                          > Warning: the corresponding disk file is Read-Only. You will have to
                                          > save modifications under a different name or change its attribute.
                                          >
                                          > These are plain text files, by the way, but with a csv extension.
                                          >
                                          > If I apply the disk file change, and click document > "read only" it
                                          > still won't work ...
                                          >
                                          > Frustrating.

                                          Don,

                                          If the file is on your disk and focused in NoteTab you can solve your
                                          problem by running the following as a stand alone clip or prefix same
                                          to another clip.

                                          Run this prior to text modifications to be safe, this should change
                                          the diskfile attrib and the internal NoteTab Document Read-Only
                                          selection.

                                          H="set attr"
                                          ^!SetFileAttr "^##" -r
                                          ^!Menu Edit/Reload
                                          ^!Save

                                          ºvº SL_day# 290 - created 2010.10.17_23.05.38

                                          Rules guys wish girls knew...
                                          • Dogs are better than ANY cats. Period.

                                          € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                                        • loro
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 17, 2010
                                            hsavage wrote:
                                            >Run this prior to text modifications to be safe, this should change
                                            >the diskfile attrib and the internal NoteTab Document Read-Only
                                            >selection.
                                            >
                                            >H="set attr"
                                            >^!SetFileAttr "^##" -r
                                            >^!Menu Edit/Reload
                                            >^!Save

                                            But changing the file properties manually doesn't work, then would a
                                            clip? (That was the first thing Don did, before I suggested to
                                            unprotect the doc in notetab).

                                            Peculiar problem.

                                            Lotta
                                          • Eb
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 18, 2010
                                              Don,

                                              Have I missed something? You don't want to have to save a transitory file. So why would you want to edit it?

                                              Eb

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 18, 2010
                                                Because I run a clip on it to transform it and then paste it into an
                                                outgoing email.

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Oct 18, 2010
                                                  Don wrote:
                                                  > Because I run a clip on it to transform it and then paste it into an
                                                  > outgoing email.

                                                  Sounds reasonable - I hadn't thought of something like that. If so begin
                                                  your clip with a save as and, after select all and copy to clipboard,
                                                  end it with a delete file. Who cares about more work, when it's not you
                                                  but the clip doing it?

                                                  Axel
                                                • John Shotsky
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Oct 18, 2010
                                                    Then you can use toolbar command clips to unwrite protect it, edit it, copy it, and paste it, and
                                                    never save it at all.

                                                    On 10/18/2010 5:23 PM, Eb wrote:
                                                    > Don,
                                                    >
                                                    > Have I missed something? You don't want to have to save a transitory file. So why would you want
                                                    to edit it?

                                                    > Eb

                                                  • Don
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Oct 18, 2010
                                                      nope doesn't work for me
                                                      I copy and paste to an empty/new file
                                                      run my clip, copy to email and delete

                                                      I don't remember this behavior in the past ... can't tell you how many
                                                      times I open a file and then realize my clip didn't work ... very
                                                      annoying behavior to be honest. I'd like to see an option to cancel it.

                                                      On 10/18/2010 10:20 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                                                      > Then you can use toolbar command clips to unwrite protect it, edit it, copy it, and paste it, and
                                                      > never save it at all.
                                                      >
                                                      > Regards,
                                                      > John
                                                    • Paul
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Oct 20, 2010
                                                        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:

                                                        > I am on XP on this machine. I can save it as to chosen location but
                                                        > these are very transitory files and I hate to have to.

                                                        Since NT4 downloaded files have been treated by the system with a little contempt. The local cache (system directory) tends to put a fairly low level block on editing temp files. If ur file is in the IE cache or system temp storage it's pretty difficult to modify.

                                                        A simple select-all, copy, switch & paste <CTRL><A> <CTRL><C> <ALT><TAB> or <SHIFT><F10> or <CTRL><F6> depending if ur switching to another program or changing the focus of a tab within a program window and <CTRL><V> makes it a fast *manual* job to grab the text you want, paste it to a scratchpad file you can run clips on and then fling it back into an email.

                                                        When you can navigate by keyboard, this operation is faster than grabbing the mouse and clicking a clip to do the same job - unless the clip also does the subsequent processing you want. :)

                                                        Because i use it often I have this task assigned to an AutoHotKey routine especially for grabbing text from a web page and dumping it in a swipe file I edit in NTP. No need to save the text, of course.
                                                      • Eb
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Oct 20, 2010
                                                          Don,

                                                          over the last couple of years Microsoft has modified how WinXP behaves by applying "security" patches. If you have been updating your XP, this may explain the behavior change.

                                                          In any case, why not start your clip with selecting the entire temporary file, copy the selection to a new document, close your temp file, THEN apply your modifications to the copy?

                                                          Bill Gates is the Mayor, and you can't fight City Hall.

                                                          Eb

                                                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:

                                                          > nope doesn't work for me
                                                          > I copy and paste to an empty/new file
                                                          > run my clip, copy to email and delete
                                                          >
                                                          > I don't remember this behavior in the past ... can't tell you how many
                                                          > times I open a file and then realize my clip didn't work ... very
                                                          > annoying behavior to be honest. I'd like to see an option to cancel it.
                                                          >
                                                          > On 10/18/2010 10:20 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                                                          > > Then you can use toolbar command clips to unwrite protect it, edit it, copy it, and paste it, and
                                                          > > never save it at all.
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Regards,
                                                          > > John

                                                        • Don
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Oct 20, 2010
                                                            I have been applying the patches, might make some sense. I dislike windows/microsoft generally, but not enough to switch to a Mac I guess ;-)

                                                            I have a web application that exports this:
                                                            "Division","Abbrev","Team","All_Entries","M_Entries","F_Entries","Coach","Phone","Email"
                                                            "High School - (15)"," "," ","187","94","93"," "
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","Alba","Alba","14","6","8",,,
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","Bela","Bellaire","5","2","3","Cathy Odom",,"jacko4@..."
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","BFP","Boyne Falls","14","7","7",,,
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","CeLa","Central Lake","8","6","2","Joe Shay","231-544-2815","coachshay@..."
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","Ells","Ellsworth","13","6","7",,,
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","FaAr","Fairview","14","8","6",,,
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","HaSp","Harbor Springs","16","8","8","Mike & Emily Kloss","231-526-2059","emk@..."
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","InLa","Inland Lakes","13","6","7",,,
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","Joha","Johannesburg-Lewiston","15","8","7",,,
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","MacC","Mackinaw City","9","5","4",,,
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","Manc","Mancelona","12","6","6","Ron Davis","231-384-0700","rr-1974@..."
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","Onaw","Onaway","14","7","7",,,
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","RoCi","Rogers City","14","7","7",,,
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","StMC","St Mary Cathedral","14","7","7","Richard Goepp","9897325801","rgoepp@..."
                                                            "Michigan - Division 4","Wolv","Wolverine","12","5","7","Ronald Stahlbuck","989-732-2681",
                                                            " "," "," ","187","94","93"," "

                                                            That is a modified version of what I showed the other day for my four column tab delimited project ...

                                                            I took Dio's clip I think and modified it to clean this up -- I toss all but the four columns I need, replace the dividing delimiter with dots (.....) -- originally was using spaces but they go away in many email programs.

                                                            The clip takes this file, copies it to a new file (not write protected), cleans it up, generates the output I want, copies that to the clipboard, and then closes the new file so it's gone.

                                                            It's fast and efficient really for what I need.

                                                            I'm ready to paste.

                                                            I am doing this 36 times each day for the next ten days, so this is a big time saver.

                                                            Output desired from above:
                                                            Team...................All_Entries...M_Entries...F_Entries
                                                            ...............................187..........94..........93
                                                            Alba............................14...........6...........8
                                                            Bellaire.........................5...........2...........3
                                                            Boyne Falls.....................14...........7...........7
                                                            Central Lake.....................8...........6...........2
                                                            Ellsworth.......................13...........6...........7
                                                            Fairview........................14...........8...........6
                                                            Harbor Springs..................16...........8...........8
                                                            Inland Lakes....................13...........6...........7
                                                            Johannesburg-Lewiston...........15...........8...........7
                                                            Mackinaw City....................9...........5...........4
                                                            Mancelona.......................12...........6...........6
                                                            Onaway..........................14...........7...........7
                                                            Rogers City.....................14...........7...........7
                                                            St Mary Cathedral...............14...........7...........7
                                                            Wolverine.......................12...........5...........7
                                                            ...............................187..........94..........93

                                                            Clip after modification (thanks to all who contributed):
                                                            ;grap
                                                            ^!Select All
                                                            ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$
                                                            ^!Keyboard CTRL+N
                                                            ^!Paste

                                                            ^!Replace """ >> "" ACIWS
                                                            ^!Replace "," >> "^T" ACIWS
                                                            ;remove first two and last three columns
                                                            ^!Jump Doc_Start

                                                            ;Michigan - Division 4 CPAc Coldwater Pansophia Academy 0

                                                            ^!Replace "^.*?\t.*?\t(.*?\t.*?\t.*?\t.*?)\t.*" >> "$1" RAS
                                                            ;replace errant spaces
                                                            ^!Replace " ^T" >> ".^T" ACIWS

                                                            ;^!SetScreenUpdate 0
                                                            ;Temporarily make non-delimiting chars into 0
                                                            ^!Replace "[^\t\v]" >> "0" WARS
                                                            ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
                                                            ;Sort all first fields to find the widest entry
                                                            ^!SetArray %f%=^$StrSort(^$GetDocMatchAll(^0++)$;0;0;0)$
                                                            ;Set the width of the first column
                                                            ^!Set %f%=^$Calc(^$StrSize(^%f1%)$+1)$
                                                            ;Get the widest of the remaining fields in the first row
                                                            ^!Find "\t.++" WRS
                                                            ^!SetArray %r%=^$StrSort(^$GetDocMatchAll(\t\K0++)$;0;0;0)$
                                                            ^!Set %r%=^$StrSize(^%r1%)$
                                                            ;Revert to the state before the swap for zeros
                                                            ^!Toolbar Undo
                                                            ;Add %f% number of spaces after first field entries
                                                            ^!Replace "^[^\t]++\K" >> "^$StrFill(.;^%f%)$" WARS
                                                            ;Take excess spaces out
                                                            ^!Replace "^.{^%f%}\K\.++" >> "" WARS
                                                            ;Swap tabs for %r% + 1 number of tokens
                                                            ^!Replace "^t" >> "^$StrFill(*;^%r%)$*" WAS
                                                            ;Take excess tokens out
                                                            ^!Replace "\*+?(?=.{^%r%}[^\*](\*|\r|\Z))" >> "" WARS
                                                            ;Revert remaining tokens to spaces
                                                            ^!Replace "*" >> "." WAS

                                                            ^!Select All
                                                            ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$

                                                            ^!Close Discard

                                                            On 10/20/2010 11:01 AM, Eb wrote:
                                                            > Don,
                                                            >
                                                            > over the last couple of years Microsoft has modified how WinXP behaves by applying "security" patches. If you have been updating your XP, this may explain the behavior change.
                                                            >
                                                            > In any case, why not start your clip with selecting the entire temporary file, copy the selection to a new document, close your temp file, THEN apply your modifications to the copy?
                                                            >
                                                            > Bill Gates is the Mayor, and you can't fight City Hall.
                                                            >

                                                            > Eb
                                                            >
                                                            > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:
                                                            >>
                                                            >> nope doesn't work for me
                                                            >> I copy and paste to an empty/new file
                                                            >> run my clip, copy to email and delete
                                                            >>
                                                            >> I don't remember this behavior in the past ... can't tell you how many
                                                            >> times I open a file and then realize my clip didn't work ... very
                                                            >> annoying behavior to be honest. I'd like to see an option to cancel it.
                                                            >>
                                                            >> On 10/18/2010 10:20 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                                                            >>> Then you can use toolbar command clips to unwrite protect it, edit it, copy it, and paste it, and
                                                            >>> never save it at all.
                                                            >>>
                                                            >>> Regards,
                                                            >>> John

                                                          • Eb
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Oct 21, 2010
                                                              Kudos to the genius who came up with the sort to detect the largest field, along with the formatting code. I'm going to steal this technique for my own use. Thanks (Diodem?).

                                                              For testing purposes I used Don's data and output.

                                                              If I may be so bold and offer some suggestions (it's always easier to come up with improvements than with an original idea<g>):

                                                              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:
                                                              > I have a web application that exports this:
                                                              > "Division","Abbrev","Team","All_Entries","M_Entries","F_Entries","Coach","Phone","Email"
                                                              > "High School - (15)"," "," ","187","94","93"," "
                                                              > "Michigan - Division 4","Alba","Alba","14","6","8",,,

                                                              > Clip after modification (thanks to all who contributed):

                                                              Grab the input (from the write-protected file) into an array:
                                                              ^!SetListDelimiter ^%nl%
                                                              ;one line (gets fields 3..6)
                                                              ^!SetArray %keepers%=^$GetDocMatchAll("^[^\,]*\,[^\,]*\,(([^\,]*\,){3}[^\,]*)";1)$
                                                              ;end of one line

                                                              then you can make a bunch of replacements, which will be much faster in an array, than in the document.

                                                              ^!SetArray %keepers%=^$StrReplace(""";"";"^%keepers%";0;0)$
                                                              ^!SetArray %keepers%=^$StrReplace(",";"^%tab%";"^%keepers%";0;0)$
                                                              ^!SetArray %keepers%=^$StrReplace(" ^%tab%";"~^%tab%";"^%keepers%";0;0)$
                                                              ;move totals record2 to end (after blank line)
                                                              ^!SetArray %keepers%=^%keepers%^%nl%^%nl%Totals^%keepers2%
                                                              ;blank line where rec2 was
                                                              ^!ClearVariable %keepers2%

                                                              I used the token '~' rather than the '.' in the above code to remove the confusion between the period as token and the period as special character. That way I can come back to the clip a year later and have a chance to understand what it does. To replace the "~" with " " at the end, a regex is needed, because for sopme reason the plain replace doesn't work.

                                                              Cheers,

                                                              Eb