Making clips portable

  • graham.lawrence
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2010
      6.2 on xp+sp3, my local drive is F:

      Trying to make my clips portable to other computers, I recently changed all my ^!Open statements from ^!Open F:\... to ^!Open \... which produces an error message saying that C:\... could not be found.

      I switched to ^!Shell \... which works fine if its a .txt file, but unfortunately I have an extensive Notetab library for writing AutoHotKey .ahk scripts, and ^!Shell \...ahk executes that script instead of opening it for editing.

      How should I open files for editing so that the clips are portable?
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2010
        "graham.lawrence" wrote:
        > How should I open files for editing so that the clips are portable?

        I'd save the system dependent paths in persistent variables and use
        those in your clips. You could make a short clip for setting those up
        for each system.

        Axel
      • Eb
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 11, 2010
          Why don't you look up Help Topics --> Reference Information --> Othr features --> Folder and File Name Tokens

          and experiment with those tokens.
          Some of these tokens work directly, depending on the clip command,
          others require the environment-variable parsing function

          "^$ExpandEnv(%tokenname%)$"

          Cheers,

          Eb

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12, 2010
            Thats what I was afraid of, that I'd have to end up doing some work instead of there being some cut-and-dried solution ready to hand.

            > "graham.lawrence" wrote:
            > > How should I open files for editing so that the clips are portable?
            >
            > I'd save the system dependent paths in persistent variables and use
            > those in your clips. You could make a short clip for setting those up
            > for each system.
            >
            > Axel

          • graham.lawrence
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12, 2010
              Maybe there is a cut-and-dried solution, this gets my hopes up again. I'll look these up right away.

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

              > Why don't you look up Help Topics --> Reference Information --> Othr features --> Folder and File Name Tokens
              >
              > and experiment with those tokens.
              > Some of these tokens work directly, depending on the clip command,
              > others require the environment-variable parsing function
              >
              > "^$ExpandEnv(%tokenname%)$"
              >
              > Cheers,
              >

              > Eb
              >

              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "graham.lawrence" <graham.lawrence@> wrote:
              > >
              > > 6.2 on xp+sp3, my local drive is F:
              > >
              > > Trying to make my clips portable to other computers, I recently changed all my ^!Open statements from ^!Open F:\... to ^!Open \... which produces an error message saying that C:\... could not be found.
              > >
              > > I switched to ^!Shell \... which works fine if its a .txt file, but unfortunately I have an extensive Notetab library for writing AutoHotKey .ahk scripts, and ^!Shell \...ahk executes that script instead of opening it for editing.
              > >
              > > How should I open files for editing so that the clips are portable?

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 13, 2010
                > Thats what I was afraid of, that I'd have to end up doing some work instead of there being some cut-and-dried solution ready to hand.

                ah.. extensive clip libraries? For moving to a handful of computers wouldn't it be straightforward to search-replace stepping through each library you want to move with the direct path? A short clip would do the tedious work for you....

                i'm not on my pc at the moment with ntp but i seem to recall a simple set of functions to directly modify clips. maybe i'm mistaken.
              • graham lawrence
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 14, 2010
                  That's what I did in the end, just picked through that one AHK library Replacing some ^!Shell "\ with ^!Open "^$StringCopyLeft(^$GetDocName$;2)$\

                  Thank you all for your help.

                  Graham Lawrence