Re: [Clip] Assigning replacement Text to a Variable

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
      bruce_marriott wrote:
      > Ie I want %new% to contain the highlighted text where ...

      If you were to tell us what it is you want finally to achieve by this,
      we'd probably be able to suggest a better way, but this does exactly
      what you requested:

      ^!Set %new%=^$GetSelection$
      ^!Set %new%=^$StrLower("^%new%")$
      ^!Set %new%=^$StrReplace(" ";"%20";"^%new%";False;False)$
      ^!Continue ^%new%

      N.B: It would b easy to contract all that into a single line, but I
      prefer simpleness and easy legibility in my clips when having to come
      back to them months later.

      Axel
    • loro
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
        bruce_marriott wrote:
        >I have highlighted a few words of text and in the clip I want to do
        >the equivalent of:
        >^!MENU Modify/Text Case/Lower case
        >^!Set %new%=^!Replace " " >> "%20" HAS
        >
        >Ie I want %new% to contain the highlighted text where the spaces
        >have been converted to the text %20 and its all been made lc.

        I saw you already have a regex clip, here's a couple of other ways.

        ^!Set %new%=^$FileToUrl("^$StrLower("^$GetSelection$")$")$

        The above will also turn any backslashes to forward slashes, which
        may or may not be what you want, but the below will do only what you asked for.

        ^!Set %new%=^$StrReplace("
        ";"%20";"^$StrLower("^$GetSelection$")$";false;false)$

        You can look these functions up in Help.
        ^$GetSelection$
        ^$FileToUrl()$
        ^$StrLower()$
        ^$StrReplace()$

        Lotta
      • loro
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
          Hi again Bruce! :-)

          Forgot to warn you that both clips are one-liners. Email may break them in two.

          Lotta
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
            loro wrote:
            > ^$FileToUrl()$

            Lotta,
            it seems to me you mixed up Jeff's question in the off-topic list with
            Bruce's, unless there's something important I overlooked.

            Axel
          • loro
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2010
              Axel Berger wrote:
              >loro wrote:
              > > ^$FileToUrl()$
              >
              >it seems to me you mixed up Jeff's question in the off-topic list with
              >Bruce's, unless there's something important I overlooked.

              Nuh. Bruce wanted spaces URL encoded and that's what ^$FileToUrl()$
              does - and then some. I suspect the strings really are URLs and maybe
              getting other fishy characters URL encoded comes in handy. My guess
              may be wrong of course.

              Lotta
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2010
                loro wrote:
                > I suspect the strings really are URLs

                Sounds reasonable. I repeat my earlier question:
                Bruce, if you were to tell us what it is you want that variable for,
                we'd probably be able to give better advice. I have answered strictly
                what you asked but prossibly not what you really meant.