[Clip] Re: Odd Clip problems

  • Eb
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
      In addition to the dangerous quirk of not knowing when to stop searching, NoteTab adds another level of danger to editing Clips in the Clip Editor:

      UNDO does not work to more than 1 level, and NOT at all after saving! This means, if you do mess up, your only option to save the library is to close it (by opening another library). NTP will ask if you want to save changes, and you can answer NO! to undo the search/replace.
      HOWEVER, you will also lose any other changes you made before this "accident".

      There is one way to avoid having to open the lib as a document:
      Select the clip text to search, then open the search menu and enter your search particulars. The search-for pane will have the selection in it (curiously I just answered a question about this very thing in the basic clip group). Just type your search text into the pane anyway (replacing the highlighted text - don't worry, only the search pane is affected). Enter the replace-with text into the replace pane, and click replace all.

      1. You can always select the clip and when you enter a search, it will be confined to the selected area. Just type your search target text to replace the highlighted text in the search pane, then enter the replace text in the replace pane. Click OK.

      Here's a thought: Let's campaign Eric for multi-level Undo for the clip editor.

      Cheers,

      Eb

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Rozhon" <srozhon@...> wrote:

      > Ah....good to know, Alec. Thank you. This quirk could prove to be a
      > disaster, for sure. Thankfully, I had made sure that I had a spare
      > copy of my library.
    • graham lawrence
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 26, 2010
        While we're on the subject of options for Search and Replace, could we have it return to the line number it started from when it is done.

        Graham Lawrence

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 26, 2010
          I second that. I'd want it to return to the point at which 'Replace All' is selected. I would also
          like it to not change from 'all' to 'down' between runs. I have to change it back to 'all' every
          single time.

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 27, 2010
            I agree, what's the point in having an option, if it doesn't stay set?
            In fact, the FIND menu has three option for direction, "Up", "Down", and "All". Only the "All" option changes after each search. The other two stay as set by the user. Even if this behavior is intentional, it seems more like a bug than a feature.

            Cheers,

            Eb