Re: Odd Clip problems

  • breaumark
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 18, 2010
      That happens to me as lot with ^?{} wizards, as reported it to this list. The only workaround discovered so far is to shock the system by preceding the problem wizard with a prompt:
      ^!Prompt This prompt is here to solve a display problem in the upcoming wizard...

      NoteTab Std 6.2, Win7-64, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS 512 MB

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy R" <srozhon@...> wrote:

      > For some reason, some of my clips aren't displaying the prompting text above the variable boxes. Here are two examples -- one that works and one that doesn't. Unfortunately, there are many that don't work and for the life of me, I can't figure out why. Both of these examples are from the HTML library.
      >
      > Caption ---- Works --- the text "Align (transitional)" appears above the variable box.
      >
      > ^!InsertWizardHtml <CAPTION ALIGN="^?{Align (transitional)=bottom|left|right|top}">^&</CAPTION>
      >

      > Table --- Does NOT work -- no labels appear above the variable boxes.
      >
      > ^!Clip "Color Codes"
      > ^!SetWizardLabel "Enter values for tag attributes"
      > ^!InsertWizardHtml <TABLE ALIGN="^?{&Align (transitional)=center|left|right}" BGCOLOR="^?{Background &color (transitional)=^%AllColors%}" BORDER="^?{&Border=_0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8}" CELLSPACING="^?{Cell &spacing=0}" CELLPADDING="^?{Cell &padding=0}" WIDTH="^?{&Width=100%}">^P ^&^P</TABLE>^P

    • Sandy R
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 18, 2010
        I tried using the prompt as you suggested, but no joy. :(
        I'm using NoteTab v5.1/fv with Win7. Thanks for the tip, though. Wish it had worked on my system.

        Sandy

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 18, 2010
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

          > Sandy R wrote:
          > >Table --- Does NOT work -- no labels appear above the variable boxes.
          > >
          > >^!Clip "Color Codes"
          > >^!SetWizardLabel "Enter values for tag attributes"
          > >^!InsertWizardHtml <TABLE ALIGN="^?{&Align
          > >(transitional)=center|left|right}" BGCOLOR="^?{Background &color
          > >(transitional)=^%AllColors%}"
          > >BORDER="^?{&Border=_0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8}" CELLSPACING="^?{Cell
          > >&spacing=0}" CELLPADDING="^?{Cell &padding=0}"
          > >WIDTH="^?{&Width=100%}">^P ^&^P</TABLE>^P
          >
          > Does for me. I see all labels. I don't think I've updated to the
          > latest version of Notetab though. I have 6.1.
          >
          > Lotta

          What I find odd is the apparent randomness of this problem. Some clips work, some don't, some work for others but not for me. Weird. It made me wonder if maybe the clip BEFORE the one having the problem had some error, but so far not even that has turned out to be the case. I even opened up the HTML.clb file in notepad just to see if there was any stray characters or oddities in there, but nope, ain't gonna be that easy.
        • loro
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 18, 2010
            Sandy R wrote:
            >I tried using the prompt as you suggested, but no joy. :(
            >I'm using NoteTab v5.1/fv with Win7.

            I also tried it with Notetab 4.9 without problems. I'm on XP. Is this
            happening only on Win7 maybe?

            Lotta
          • breaumark
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 18, 2010
              Or with particular video cards? Perhaps two-thirds of the curly-brace wizards have the problem on my computer, but none of the square-bracket wizards.

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

              > Is this happening only on Win7 maybe?
              >
              > Lotta

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 18, 2010
                Hi
                works for me all boxes NTS6.2
                THANKYOU DAVE M

                > For some reason, some of my clips aren't displaying the prompting text
                > above the variable boxes. Here are two examples -- one that works and one
                > that doesn't. Unfortunately, there are many that don't work and for the
                > life of me, I can't figure out why. Both of these examples are from the
                > HTML library.
                >
                > Caption ---- Works --- the text "Align (transitional)" appears above the
                > variable box.
                >
                > ^!InsertWizardHtml <CAPTION ALIGN="^?{Align
                > (transitional)=bottom|left|right|top}">^&</CAPTION>
                >

                > Table --- Does NOT work -- no labels appear above the variable boxes.
                >
                > ^!Clip "Color Codes"
                > ^!SetWizardLabel "Enter values for tag attributes"
                > ^!InsertWizardHtml <TABLE ALIGN="^?{&Align
                > (transitional)=center|left|right}" BGCOLOR="^?{Background &color
                > (transitional)=^%AllColors%}" BORDER="^?{&Border=_0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8}"
                > CELLSPACING="^?{Cell &spacing=0}" CELLPADDING="^?{Cell &padding=0}"
                > WIDTH="^?{&Width=100%}">^P ^&^P</TABLE>^P

              • Eb
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 18, 2010
                  I get the same symptoms as you do.

                  When I removed the ampersands from the prompts, the labels all appear as expected.

                  This could be system related (I tested this on Win 7).

                  Eb

                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy R" <srozhon@...> wrote:

                  > For some reason, some of my clips aren't displaying the prompting text above the variable boxes. Here are two examples -- one that works and one that doesn't. Unfortunately, there are many that don't work and for the life of me, I can't figure out why. Both of these examples are from the HTML library.
                  >
                  > Caption ---- Works --- the text "Align (transitional)" appears above the variable box.
                  >
                  > ^!InsertWizardHtml <CAPTION ALIGN="^?{Align (transitional)=bottom|left|right|top}">^&</CAPTION>
                  >

                  > Table --- Does NOT work -- no labels appear above the variable boxes.
                  >
                  > ^!Clip "Color Codes"
                  > ^!SetWizardLabel "Enter values for tag attributes"
                  > ^!InsertWizardHtml <TABLE ALIGN="^?{&Align (transitional)=center|left|right}" BGCOLOR="^?{Background &color (transitional)=^%AllColors%}" BORDER="^?{&Border=_0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8}" CELLSPACING="^?{Cell &spacing=0}" CELLPADDING="^?{Cell &padding=0}" WIDTH="^?{&Width=100%}">^P ^&^P</TABLE>^P

                • Sandy Rozhon
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 20, 2010
                    That was a clever solution for you, unfortunately, though I am also
                    on Win 7 the problem even exists on clips that don't have ampersands.
                    Take "Meta" for instance from the HTML clip.

                    Sandy

                    On 18 Sep 2010 at 16:59, Eb wrote:

                    > I get the same symptoms as you do.
                    >
                    > When I removed the ampersands from the prompts, the labels all appear
                    > as expected.
                    >
                    > This could be system related (I tested this on Win 7).
                    >

                    > Eb
                    >

                    > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy R" <srozhon@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > For some reason, some of my clips aren't displaying the prompting
                    > > text above the variable boxes. Here are two examples -- one that
                    > > works and one that doesn't. Unfortunately, there are many that
                    > > don't work and for the life of me, I can't figure out why. Both of
                    > > these examples are from the HTML library.
                    > >
                    > > Caption ---- Works --- the text "Align (transitional)" appears
                    > > above the variable box.
                    > >
                    > > ^!InsertWizardHtml <CAPTION ALIGN="^?{Align
                    > > (transitional)=bottom|left|right|top}">^&</CAPTION>
                    > >

                    > > Table --- Does NOT work -- no labels appear above the variable
                    > > boxes.
                    > >
                    > > ^!Clip "Color Codes"
                    > > ^!SetWizardLabel "Enter values for tag attributes"
                    > > ^!InsertWizardHtml <TABLE ALIGN="^?{&Align
                    > > (transitional)=center|left|right}" BGCOLOR="^?{Background &color
                    > > (transitional)=^%AllColors%}"
                    > > BORDER="^?{&Border=_0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8}" CELLSPACING="^?{Cell
                    > > &spacing=0}" CELLPADDING="^?{Cell &padding=0}"
                    > > WIDTH="^?{&Width=100%}">^P ^&^P</TABLE>^P

                  • Sandy Rozhon
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 20, 2010
                      On 18 Sep 2010 at 13:52, breaumark wrote:

                      > Or with particular video cards? Perhaps two-thirds of the curly-brace
                      > wizards have the problem on my computer, but none of the
                      > square-bracket wizards.

                      Replaced curly-braces with square-brackets -- result: no difference.
                      Removed ampersands from prompts -- result: no difference.

                      Surely, there must be some common denominator and yet one clip will
                      work and another won't. This is just so weird.

                      I like the idea of maybe the video card being at fault, though it
                      would seem more consistancy would be seen.

                      Sandy
                    • Sheri
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 20, 2010
                        On 9/20/2010 8:45 AM, Sandy Rozhon wrote:
                        > That was a clever solution for you, unfortunately, though I am also
                        > on Win 7 the problem even exists on clips that don't have ampersands.
                        > Take "Meta" for instance from the HTML clip.
                        >
                        > Sandy

                        Did you update your NoteTab software? Version 5.1 was from many years
                        ago, and predated Vista and Win 7. Lots of bugs have been addressed
                        since then.

                        The current version is 6.2.

                      • Eb
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 20, 2010
                          In _addition_ to Sheri's suggestion to upgrade, there is one more thing you should try:

                          View white space, to see if you have some control characters, that have no business there.

                          One more thing. I lied about the above "one more".

                          Despite being better than Vista, Windows 7 is by no means a clean, well oiled OS. There are lots of flaws, warts, and "undocumented features". Windows 7 has issues with user permissions, especially if a hard disk from another computer, or older OS, is involved.

                          When all else failes with NoteTab, REINSTALL it, if you have version 6.2 already. If not, upgrade (free from version 5, I think, only $30 from versions older than 5).

                          Make sure you back up your data first.

                          Eb

                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Rozhon" <srozhon@...> wrote:

                          > That was a clever solution for you, unfortunately, though I am also
                          > on Win 7 the problem even exists on clips that don't have ampersands.
                          > Take "Meta" for instance from the HTML clip.
                          >
                          > Sandy
                          >
                          > On 18 Sep 2010 at 16:59, Eb wrote:
                          >
                          > > I get the same symptoms as you do.
                          > >
                          > > When I removed the ampersands from the prompts, the labels all appear
                          > > as expected.
                          > >
                          > > This could be system related (I tested this on Win 7).
                          > >

                          > > Eb
                          > >

                          > > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy R" <srozhon@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > For some reason, some of my clips aren't displaying the prompting
                          > > > text above the variable boxes. Here are two examples -- one that
                          > > > works and one that doesn't. Unfortunately, there are many that
                          > > > don't work and for the life of me, I can't figure out why. Both of
                          > > > these examples are from the HTML library.
                          > > >
                          > > > Caption ---- Works --- the text "Align (transitional)" appears
                          > > > above the variable box.
                          > > >
                          > > > ^!InsertWizardHtml <CAPTION ALIGN="^?{Align
                          > > > (transitional)=bottom|left|right|top}">^&</CAPTION>
                          > > >

                          > > > Table --- Does NOT work -- no labels appear above the variable
                          > > > boxes.
                          > > >
                          > > > ^!Clip "Color Codes"
                          > > > ^!SetWizardLabel "Enter values for tag attributes"
                          > > > ^!InsertWizardHtml <TABLE ALIGN="^?{&Align
                          > > > (transitional)=center|left|right}" BGCOLOR="^?{Background &color
                          > > > (transitional)=^%AllColors%}"
                          > > > BORDER="^?{&Border=_0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8}" CELLSPACING="^?{Cell
                          > > > &spacing=0}" CELLPADDING="^?{Cell &padding=0}"
                          > > > WIDTH="^?{&Width=100%}">^P ^&^P</TABLE>^P

                        • Sandy Rozhon
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 21, 2010
                            On 20 Sep 2010 at 9:09, Sheri wrote:

                            > Did you update your NoteTab software? Version 5.1 was from many years
                            > ago, and predated Vista and Win 7. Lots of bugs have been addressed
                            > since then.
                            >
                            > The current version is 6.2.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Sheri

                            I followed your advice and upgraded to the latest version. So
                            pleased to report that this solved my problems. Thanks.

                            One oddity I noticed prior to the upgrade though, is that I was
                            trying to do a search and replace on the curly brace in a single
                            clip. Surprise of surprises when it told me it had found something
                            like 122 of them, which I just happened to catch AFTER I clicked on
                            the OK button. So it seems you have to be very careful that search
                            and replace doesn't act on the whole darn library. Or perhaps there
                            was some problem with the library to begin with that did not let
                            search and replace limit its actions on that single clip.

                            Sandy
                          • Alec Burgess
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 21, 2010
                              Sandy: This "oddity" has probably caught many of us at one time or
                              another - many many times for me :-(
                              Its been an issue since the beginning AFAIK. Any time you want to do
                              search and replace in a clip (or clips) its important to open the
                              library as a Document (ie. *.ctb file) and do the search/replace in it.
                              Note that when you save that file it will automatically update all clips
                              in that library if it happens to be the library that is open in the clip
                              panel.

                              If desired you could even use this method to run clips on the clipbar
                              library though I've rarely had to do this.

                              On 2010-09-21 14:06, Sandy Rozhon wrote:
                              > One oddity I noticed prior to the upgrade though, is that I was
                              > trying to do a search and replace on the curly brace in a single
                              > clip. Surprise of surprises when it told me it had found something
                              > like 122 of them, which I just happened to catch AFTER I clicked on
                              > the OK button. So it seems you have to be very careful that search
                              > and replace doesn't act on the whole darn library. Or perhaps there
                              > was some problem with the library to begin with that did not let
                              > search and replace limit its actions on that single clip.

                            • Larry Hamilton
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 21, 2010
                                Sandy,

                                It has always been this way, thus a good idea to only do such things with a
                                verified backup.

                                ~ Larry

                                On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Sandy Rozhon <srozhon@...> wrote:

                                > <snip>
                                >
                                > One oddity I noticed prior to the upgrade though, is that I was
                                > trying to do a search and replace on the curly brace in a single
                                > clip. Surprise of surprises when it told me it had found something
                                > like 122 of them, which I just happened to catch AFTER I clicked on
                                > the OK button. So it seems you have to be very careful that search
                                > and replace doesn't act on the whole darn library. Or perhaps there
                                > was some problem with the library to begin with that did not let
                                > search and replace limit its actions on that single clip.
                                >
                                > Sandy

                              • Sandy Rozhon
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 23, 2010
                                  Ah....good to know, Alec. Thank you. This quirk could prove to be a
                                  disaster, for sure. Thankfully, I had made sure that I had a spare
                                  copy of my library.

                                  Sandy

                                  On 21 Sep 2010 at 16:10, Alec Burgess wrote:

                                  > Sandy: This "oddity" has probably caught many of us at one time or
                                  > another - many many times for me :-( Its been an issue since the
                                  > beginning AFAIK. Any time you want to do search and replace in a clip
                                  > (or clips) its important to open the library as a Document (ie. *.ctb
                                  > file) and do the search/replace in it. Note that when you save that
                                  > file it will automatically update all clips in that library if it
                                  > happens to be the library that is open in the clip panel.
                                  >
                                  > If desired you could even use this method to run clips on the clipbar
                                  > library though I've rarely had to do this.
                                  >
                                  > On 2010-09-21 14:06, Sandy Rozhon wrote:
                                  > > One oddity I noticed prior to the upgrade though, is that I was
                                  > > trying to do a search and replace on the curly brace in a single
                                  > > clip. Surprise of surprises when it told me it had found something
                                  > > like 122 of them, which I just happened to catch AFTER I clicked on
                                  > > the OK button. So it seems you have to be very careful that search
                                  > > and replace doesn't act on the whole darn library. Or perhaps there
                                  > > was some problem with the library to begin with that did not let
                                  > > search and replace limit its actions on that single clip.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail& WinLiveMess -
                                  > alec.m.burgess@skype)

                                • Eb
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                                    In addition to the dangerous quirk of not knowing when to stop searching, NoteTab adds another level of danger to editing Clips in the Clip Editor:

                                    UNDO does not work to more than 1 level, and NOT at all after saving! This means, if you do mess up, your only option to save the library is to close it (by opening another library). NTP will ask if you want to save changes, and you can answer NO! to undo the search/replace.
                                    HOWEVER, you will also lose any other changes you made before this "accident".

                                    There is one way to avoid having to open the lib as a document:
                                    Select the clip text to search, then open the search menu and enter your search particulars. The search-for pane will have the selection in it (curiously I just answered a question about this very thing in the basic clip group). Just type your search text into the pane anyway (replacing the highlighted text - don't worry, only the search pane is affected). Enter the replace-with text into the replace pane, and click replace all.

                                    1. You can always select the clip and when you enter a search, it will be confined to the selected area. Just type your search target text to replace the highlighted text in the search pane, then enter the replace text in the replace pane. Click OK.

                                    Here's a thought: Let's campaign Eric for multi-level Undo for the clip editor.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Eb

                                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Rozhon" <srozhon@...> wrote:

                                    > Ah....good to know, Alec. Thank you. This quirk could prove to be a
                                    > disaster, for sure. Thankfully, I had made sure that I had a spare
                                    > copy of my library.
                                  • graham lawrence
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 26, 2010
                                      While we're on the subject of options for Search and Replace, could we have it return to the line number it started from when it is done.

                                      Graham Lawrence

                                    • John Shotsky
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 26, 2010
                                        I second that. I'd want it to return to the point at which 'Replace All' is selected. I would also
                                        like it to not change from 'all' to 'down' between runs. I have to change it back to 'all' every
                                        single time.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 27, 2010
                                          I agree, what's the point in having an option, if it doesn't stay set?
                                          In fact, the FIND menu has three option for direction, "Up", "Down", and "All". Only the "All" option changes after each search. The other two stay as set by the user. Even if this behavior is intentional, it seems more like a bug than a feature.

                                          Cheers,

                                          Eb