Feature Request - remembering last edited line in clips

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2010
      I looked for a place to submit feature requests, and couldn't find one, so I'm posting here in hopes that it will get seen by the developers of NoteTab.

      The feature I'm looking for is a 'hook' for remembering the last edited line in any clip. It does that now for only the last clip edited.

      I have a clip library of over 100 clipbooks and nearly 20,000 lines. A clipbook can have several hundred lines. When processing a large file, if a mistake is noticed, you need to open the correct clip and edit to make the correction. The feature would not just open the clip, but open it to the point at which it was last edited, which is probably where the error sneaked in.

      Currently, if I edit one clip, then run my document, then go back to that clip to edit it again, the cursor is where I last edited it, which is what I like. The problem is that if I open any OTHER clip, it starts at the top, and the memory of that previous point is lost. That makes for a lot of scrolling when looking for errors.
      Thanks,
      John
    • tf_ntp
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2010
        one way to make edits findable within the current technology is to add comments. just be sure to make your comments easy to find using the Find feature in Note Tab, and be sure to use a convention that is easy to remember and understand. for example, insert:

        ;edit 20100912 2

        directly above the first line you edit. then open the clipbook as a document and use Find to locate ;edit
        this comment says the next 2 lines were edited Sep 12th 2010.

        you could use a timestamp if that would be helpful. you could also add a short description if that would be helpful. I like to keep this stuff brief but adequate:

        ;edit 20100912 14:02 2 include $ in selection

        now you can easily search and find all edits using ;edit
        all edits from 2010 using ;edit 2010
        all edits from Sep 2010 using ;edit 201009

        I understand this method is not the feature you are asking about, but it may help...

        regards,
        tf
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2010
          Thanks for the ideas. I already do things like that, but the problem is that my clips run sequential
          to each other, and sometimes I need to switch back and forth between two or three clips to find
          where the problem is. The moment you switch, you lose your place and have to scroll to find it. In
          a multi-hundred line clip, that scrolling is tough, because it is so easy to go past the point of
          interest. If it's just one clip I'm working on I edit it, run it, then return to it, and the cursor
          is sitting right where I left it. But if I click off to a different clip, and back to the one I've
          been working on, the edit point is lost. That's why the wish for a feature to be added.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2010
            John,

            You could save the cursor position to an INI file variable as long as you keep track of the clipname and library name in your head (it's ok to write them down too <g>.

            Something like:

            1. Done editing the current clip, before changing focus, run a CB clip (of your own making) with:

            ^!SaveValue LastEdit:Cursor=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$

            2. When you return focus to the target clip, run another CB clip with:

            ^!SetCursor ^$GetValue(LestEdit:Cursor)$

            This should work fine for tracking one clip.
            To track several clips gets complicated.

            A crowbar approach might be to include a wizard, that lets you specify which clip your saving or restoring the cursor for.

            A second approach might be to include a JUMP to the top of the clip, save the row:col info there as a comment line.
            Let your second clip extract that info, then jump the cursor to that position.

            NoteTab keeps track or which library is loaded into the clipbook, and which clip is in the clipeditor. Functions that extract this information, run from the clipbar, should be possible, but the ones Eric provided for getting the library name only work, if the clipbar library is the same as the clipbook lib. More or less a duplication of existing functions.

            Anyway, feature requests in this forum will probably be noticed by Fookes people, but not as fast as those posted in the "ntb-NextRelease" group.

            Cheers,

            Eb