Re: [Clip] How to replace text in a string with clipcode?

  • Don
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 16, 2010
      > I have always thought that NoteTabs help is far superior to the average software help (a la Microsoft: "Check the 'Snaggle' option to enable 'snaggle'"). Its only major flaw is, that the list of help topics in Clip Programming is not alphabetized, making it difficult to find things.

      And the group support here is second to none!

      But having said that, any suggested solution is help being given so let's not be too critical of each others volunteer offers of help is my suggestion.
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 16, 2010
        Eb wrote:
        > On the other hand, the existing topics are roughly in the order
        > of importance for a beginner.

        There is an alphabetic list with one important snag: "^?", the details
        of which I always forget, is not in it and quite hard to find every
        time, meaning the /obvious place/ "variables" is not that obvious to me.

        But far more important to this thread, we seem to have lost Sherry,
        which is a shame. I still believe any solution that forces her to
        highlight each and every occurrence of the string manually is no help at
        all, but I do need more input to provide a solution that is.

        N.B: My clips tend to be rather primitive and brain dead on purpose,
        e.g. using several primitive lines when a single one would suffice. It
        not only makes them more easily legible for beginners but also for
        myself, when I need to remind myself, what that clip, written months
        ago, actually does. I admire diodeom's one-liners but for me at least,
        they are quite hard to understand.

        Sherry, if you're still with us: don't be put off by our internal digs
        between the "experts", we're really all trying to help.

        Axel
      • flo.gehrke
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

          > > ^!Replace "_" >> "^%Space%" HATS
          > > ^!Toolbar Capitalize
          >
          > Instead of Toolbar, the Menu command would be better, because it
          > is much easier to find it's available options:
          >
          > ^!Replace "_" >> "^%Space%" HATS
          > ^!Menu Modify/"Text Case"/Capitalize

          Eb,

          For a better overview, Ray Fitzgerald created his ToolTips.CLB, last updated in Feb 2000. It's in the ClipClass+Clip Basics+more.ZIP file that Alec uploaded to the File section of this group in Dec 2008.

          I found it quite useful. Checking it against the latest ^!Toolbar options in NT 6.2, I found two issues:

          1. "Printer Settings" doesn't work in NT 6.2 and returns an error message. So you better delete it.

          2. There is a "Page Setup" option in NT 6.2 but not in that clipbook. One may add this option in order to see all valid options.

          Regards,
          Flo
        • Eb
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 20, 2010
            Thanks, Flo,

            I agree, and the most useful file, "Toolbar.txt" contains the descriptions missing from the NoteTab Help file.

            The clip library isn't bad either, though somewhat confusing.

            See the "Help with clips" post for a suggestion to clippers, how to avoid such confusion.

            Cheers,

            Eb

            > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@> wrote:
            >
            > > > ^!Replace "_" >> "^%Space%" HATS
            > > > ^!Toolbar Capitalize
            > >
            > > Instead of Toolbar, the Menu command would be better, because it
            > > is much easier to find it's available options:
            > >
            > > ^!Replace "_" >> "^%Space%" HATS
            > > ^!Menu Modify/"Text Case"/Capitalize
            >
            > Eb,
            >
            > For a better overview, Ray Fitzgerald created his ToolTips.CLB, last updated in Feb 2000. It's in the ClipClass+Clip Basics+more.ZIP file that Alec uploaded to the File section of this group in Dec 2008.
            >
            > I found it quite useful. Checking it against the latest ^!Toolbar options in NT 6.2, I found two issues:
            >
            > 1. "Printer Settings" doesn't work in NT 6.2 and returns an error message. So you better delete it.
            >
            > 2. There is a "Page Setup" option in NT 6.2 but not in that clipbook. One may add this option in order to see all valid options.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Flo

          • Sherry
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 22, 2010
              Hello,

              Thank you so much, EVERYONE, for answering my request. I am sorry for not responding earlier. But I did read the discussion and finally today I am in the need of the code.

              Again, I am sorry for not communicating earlier, requiring you to read my mind ;)

              I picked this code below, and, having inserted it into my HTML.clb library, it works like a charm. (Had to get admin privileges to add/modify the library). That is exactly what I wanted. Someday when I need more, I will study the code and modify if needed.

              I really appreciate the responsiveness of everyone in the group, you guys rock! There is something very satisfying to have a simple code do wonders with my text ;)

              Greetings, and have a great rest of the weekend!

              Sherry