need help moving image file to one root folder

  • Don
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 26 9:54 PM
      Hi all,

      Not sure what that help is -- clip or off topic (need to find that address)

      I have a number of images in file folders ... (the actually come from a
      blogger blog backed up with htaccess if that helps at all so the folder
      names are very cryptic and unimportant except for "folder1").

      Say like this:
      folder1
      -- folder2
      ----folder3 - contains image1.jpg
      -- folder2a
      ----folder3a - contains image3.jpg
      etc.

      I want all images to wind up in folder1 in the end regardless of the
      name of the sub-folders or the number of them that exist as there may be
      more than two levels.

      I am on XP.

      Can I do this with a clip?
      Can I do this with some other program like power whatever it is?

      If this should be off topic, copy it there for me please as I don't seem
      to have that address bookmarked yet on this machine.

      Thanks all for any help.

      Don
    • Don
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 26 11:59 PM
        Ironically I found the answer in Windows (rare result).

        I opened windows search, my actual images are all contained in
        sub-folders called images but within hundreds of subfolders under my
        main subdirectory. I was able to search for "images" in the proper
        sub-directory (I used the term root but I mean the base directory I
        suppose I should say). That found all folders called images in that main
        subdiretory. I then copied and pasted those to one place and it asked
        did I mean to combine them or some such and swoosh bang I had all of my
        files in one folder (I might qualify this by saying all of my images
        have a unique name).

        This is clearly now off topic -- and I need to look up that address :-)

        Didn't want to waste anyone's time since I think I have this project
        whipped.

        On 7/27/2010 12:54 AM, Don wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > Not sure what that help is -- clip or off topic (need to find that address)
        >
        > I have a number of images in file folders ... (the actually come from a
        > blogger blog backed up with htaccess if that helps at all so the folder
        > names are very cryptic and unimportant except for "folder1").
        >
        > Say like this:
        > folder1
        > -- folder2
        > ----folder3 - contains image1.jpg
        > -- folder2a
        > ----folder3a - contains image3.jpg
        > etc.
        >
        > I want all images to wind up in folder1 in the end regardless of the
        > name of the sub-folders or the number of them that exist as there may be
        > more than two levels.
        >
        > I am on XP.
        >
        > Can I do this with a clip?
        > Can I do this with some other program like power whatever it is?
        >
        > If this should be off topic, copy it there for me please as I don't seem
        > to have that address bookmarked yet on this machine.
        >
        > Thanks all for any help.
        >
        > Don

      • Adrien Verlee
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 27 2:34 AM
          Op 27-jul-10, om 08:59 heeft Don het volgende geschreven:

          Off topic = ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
          --
          Adrien
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 27 3:14 AM
            Don wrote:
            > I want all images to wind up in folder1
            > Can I do this with a clip?

            Possibly but not easily. My tool of choice would be Totalcommander. In
            that use Find --> "Feed to listbox" --> Copy.

            Axel
          • diodeom
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 27 7:09 AM
              Don <don@...> wrote:
              > (...)
              > I want all images to wind up in folder1 in the end regardless of the
              > name of the sub-folders or the number of them that exist as there may be
              > more than two levels.
              >
              > (...)
              >
              > Can I do this with a clip?

              To harvest particular file types (or all files) from nested folders by a clip, this works for me:

              ^!Set %from%=^?[(T=D)Choose source folder]
              ^!Set %to%=^?[(T=D)Destination]
              ^!Set %ext%=^?[File type==_Any^=*.*|*.jpg|*.gif|*.jpg]
              ^!Set %act%=^?[Choose action==_Copy|Move]
              ^!Set %s%=^?[Include subfolders==_Yes^=+|No^=]
              ^!SetArray %file%=^$GetFiles("^%s%^%from%";^%ext%)$
              ^!IfEmpty ^%file% None
              ^!Set %n%=0
              ^!^%act%File "^%file^%n%%" "^%to%"
              ^!Inc %n%
              ^!If ^%n%<=^%file0% Skip_-2 Else Clear
              :None
              ^!Prompt ^%ext% files not found in ^%from%
              :Clear
              ;(...etc.)
            • diodeom
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 27 8:08 AM
                I wrote:

                > (...)
                > ^!Set %n%=0
                > ^!^%act%File "^%file^%n%%" "^%to%"
                > ^!Inc %n%
                > ^!If ^%n%<=^%file0% Skip_-2 Else Clear

                With this value of %n% the file name becomes a number representing the total number of files in the array, though the subsequent Copy/MoveFile line fails without complaining and doesn't disrupt the loop. Still, %n% should've been set here to 1.
              • Art Kocsis
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 27 11:02 AM
                  Hi Don,

                  I'm sure one could write a clip to do it but why bother when a file/disk
                  manager named ZTREE could do it in about 15 seconds. Ztree is the
                  other program that I live in and if I had to choose between them there
                  would no question that NTB would go bye-bye. I cringe at the thought
                  of having to use Explorer or Total Commander or the like.

                  http://www.ztree.com/ [not free but almost, 30 day trial available]

                  Email me if you want more info.

                  Namaste', Art

                  At 07-26-10 21:54, you wrote:
                  >Hi all,
                  >Not sure what that help is -- clip or off topic (need to find that address)
                  >I have a number of images in file folders ... (the actually come from a
                  >blogger blog backed up with htaccess if that helps at all so the folder
                  >names are very cryptic and unimportant except for "folder1").
                  >
                  >Say like this:
                  >folder1
                  >-- folder2
                  >----folder3 - contains image1.jpg
                  >-- folder2a
                  >----folder3a - contains image3.jpg
                  >etc.
                  >I want all images to wind up in folder1 in the end regardless of the
                  >name of the sub-folders or the number of them that exist as there may be
                  >more than two levels.
                  >I am on XP.
                  >Can I do this with a clip?
                  >Can I do this with some other program like power whatever it is?
                  >If this should be off topic, copy it there for me please as I don't seem
                  >to have that address bookmarked yet on this machine.
                  >Thanks all for any help.
                  >Don

                • Don
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 27 1:35 PM
                    Wow I'm liking that.

                    I have one more issue ... each subfolder had three subfolders and in
                    each is the image at three sizes ... I want to move the big one to a big
                    subfolder, the small one to a small folder so my "base" target folder to
                    receive will have two subdirectories,

                    receiving folder
                    --small folder
                    --large folder

                    outgoing folder
                    --random subfolder1 and maybe even subfolders
                    --small subfolder contains small image
                    --large subfolder contains large image
                    --thumbs subfolder contains thumbs that I don't need
                    --random subfolder2 and maybe even subfolders
                    --small subfolder contains small image
                    --large subfolder contains large image
                    --thumbs subfolder contains thumbs that I don't need'

                    I know that complicates it a bit more. But this is a good start on the
                    idea.

                    Art, I'll have a look at that software.

                    On 7/27/2010 10:09 AM, diodeom wrote:
                    > Don<don@...> wrote:
                    >> (...)
                    >> I want all images to wind up in folder1 in the end regardless of the
                    >> name of the sub-folders or the number of them that exist as there may be
                    >> more than two levels.
                    >>
                    >> (...)
                    >>
                    >> Can I do this with a clip?
                    >>

                    > To harvest particular file types (or all files) from nested folders by a clip, this works for me:
                    >
                    > ^!Set %from%=^?[(T=D)Choose source folder]
                    > ^!Set %to%=^?[(T=D)Destination]
                    > ^!Set %ext%=^?[File type==_Any^=*.*|*.jpg|*.gif|*.jpg]
                    > ^!Set %act%=^?[Choose action==_Copy|Move]
                    > ^!Set %s%=^?[Include subfolders==_Yes^=+|No^=]
                    > ^!SetArray %file%=^$GetFiles("^%s%^%from%";^%ext%)$
                    > ^!IfEmpty ^%file% None
                    > ^!Set %n%=0
                    > ^!^%act%File "^%file^%n%%" "^%to%"
                    > ^!Inc %n%
                    > ^!If ^%n%<=^%file0% Skip_-2 Else Clear
                    > :None
                    > ^!Prompt ^%ext% files not found in ^%from%
                    > :Clear
                    > ;(...etc.)

                  • diodeom
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 27 2:33 PM
                      Don <don@...> wrote:

                      > I have one more issue ... each subfolder had three subfolders and in
                      > each is the image at three sizes ... I want to move the big one to a big
                      > subfolder, the small one to a small folder (...)

                      Maybe something like this:

                      ^!Set %from%=^?[(T=D)Choose source folder]
                      ^!Set %to_sm%=^?[(T=D)Destination of small images]
                      ^!Set %to_md%=^?[(T=D)Medium ones]
                      ^!Set %to_lg%=^?[(T=D)And large ones]
                      ^!Set %ext%=^?[File type==_Any^=*.*|*.png|*.gif|*.jpg|*.bmp]
                      ^!Set %sm%=^?[Max. width of small image=50]
                      ^!Set %md%=^?[Max. width of medium image=100]
                      ^!Set %act%=^?[Choose action==_Copy|Move]
                      ^!Set %s%=^?[Include subfolders==_Yes^=+|No^=]
                      ^!SetArray %file%=^$GetFiles("^%s%^%from%";^%ext%)$
                      ^!IfEmpty ^%file% None
                      ^!Set %n%=0
                      :Fork
                      ^!Inc %n%
                      ^!If ^%n%>^%file0% Clear
                      ^!If ^$GetImgWidth(^%file^%n%%)$<=^%sm% Small
                      ^!If ^$GetImgWidth(^%file^%n%%)$<=^%md% Medium
                      ^!^%act%File "^%file^%n%%" "^%to_lg%"
                      ^!Goto Fork
                      :Medium
                      ^!^%act%File "^%file^%n%%" "^%to_md%"
                      ^!Goto Fork
                      :Small
                      ^!^%act%File "^%file^%n%%" "^%to_sm%"
                      ^!Goto Fork
                      :None
                      ^!Prompt ^%ext% files not found in ^%from%
                      :Clear
                      ;(...etc.)

                      I'd say it wouldn't hurt to utilize ^!IfFileExist for each file name in the destination directory and either prompt to rename/overwrite/skip or automatically append a count number to it -- before copying or moving a thing.
                    • diodeom
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 27 2:45 PM
                        Don <don@...> wrote:

                        > --thumbs subfolder contains thumbs that I don't need'

                        I didn't manage to read through all your objectives at first, sorry. :)

                        As you see I opted to grab ALL files first, then ask questions -- instead of fishing for individual subfolders. So if you want to exclude thumbnails, I'd -- just the same -- test for some assumed minimal acceptable width and simply cycle back to Fork to grab another file if the current one didn't make the cut.
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 27 5:30 PM
                          Art Kocsis wrote:
                          > I cringe at the thought
                          > of having to use Explorer or Total Commander or the like.

                          I don't want to start a Windows versus Apple like war here and I do
                          agree with you about primitive mouse-oriented tools like the Explorer,
                          but while I'm sure ZTREE, one of its precursors I have used in the past,
                          though too little to become comfortable and at-home with it, is a
                          powerful tool, I'd like to make the same claim for my personal favourite
                          Totalcommander. The unlimited test version is free and I suggest you do
                          others in this group a disservice by dissuading them from at least
                          having a look and giving it a try.

                          Looking at the features list I find an integrated Hex-editor. This is
                          one feature Totalcommander does not have, not even, as far as I'm aware,
                          as a plugin.

                          On the other hand it is quite probable, I don't remember, that the
                          Totalcommander "Useful External Tools" list is where I first came across
                          NoteTab.

                          Axel
                        • Alec Burgess
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 27 7:14 PM
                            I keep an Ecco "database" of every application I've ever installed
                            (currently 912 excluding various GOTD programs) and usually have a
                            "source" note.

                            My first version of Notetab was 4.92 2002-10-16 source=About.com Windows
                            forum - Guide-Ed Bott's list of must-have programs.

                            Regards ... Alec