[Clip] Re: Who was that Masked INI file?

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 27, 1999
      Hi Eb,

      At 12:58 PM 11/27/1999 -0600, you wrote:
      >Thanks Larry,

      >I appreciate all the trouble you went to.
      >>^!CopyFile "^%InstallIni%" "^$GetAppPath$!Main.ini"
      >
      >>When the shortcut is executed, it gets the settings from
      >>the (!) prefixed file and ... saves ... to Main.ini
      >

      >I understand the concept in your sample Clip, and it's
      >pretty slick. But I don't understand how that part
      >about the "!" in front of Main.ini works.
      >
      >Is that a NoteTab feature? I can't find it in the help
      >files. Where do I look?

      Select Help | Content | How To and go about two-thirds of the way down the
      page. You will see:

      If you are very familiar with INI files, you can edit NoteTab's own INI
      file like any other document. To have your changes taken into account when
      you reopen NoteTab, you must rename the file by adding an exclamation mark
      in front of the name (e.g. !NoteTab.INI). Next time you run NoteTab, the
      content of the renamed INI file will be used.

      ===================

      What happens is that NoteTab overwrites the ini when you exit so if you
      edit it or in the case of the clip I sent, change it directly and then quit
      NoteTab your change will be lost and the old settings will be baaaaaack the
      next time you start NoteTab whether you want them or not. If you place a
      prefix in front of the ini name, NoteTab still overwrites the original ini
      but not the prefixed one. When NoteTab starts, it tries to get its
      settings from and then deletes the prfixed ini file if such a file exists.
      If the file does not exist, NoteTab gets its settings from the unprefixed
      file which is serving as the default. In any case NoteTab updates the ini
      file that it is using as a default with whatever settings are active in the
      program when it quits so that your new setup is made permanent this way. I
      did this because some user might forget to shutdown NoteTab before running
      the clip and this way, it does not make any difference. The setup change
      will still take effect the next time NoteTab is run.

      >Anyway, I'll give your suggestion a try.
      >

      >Thanks a lot for your help.

      You are welcome.

      Regards,

      Larry