Re: [Clip] WScript pop-up over executing clip

  • Al
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 14 3:53 PM
      FWIW

      "always on top"

      a "windows thing" can optionally set any window to behave like this.

      ebbtidalflats wrote:
      > Hi Al,
      >
      > Interesting idea -- using a clip from a second instance of NoteTab.
      > I may give it a try, just for education. I don't see how this will overcome the focus of the wizard.
      >
      > By the way, when running my external timer script uses very little resources, so a second instance of NoteTab will seem like going squirrel hunting with a 12 gauge shotgun <grin>.
      >

      > Cheers,
      >

      > Eb
      >
      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Al <acummingsus@...> wrote:

      >> Oops someone is filling in the wizard fields and the clip can't
      >> ^!FocusApp at the same time.
      >>
      >> Make an alternate ini so you can command line launch a 2nd Notetab that,
      >> upon launch, is running a timer clip -- call this command line from the
      >> first clip -- do so just before the wizard pops up
      >>
      >> in the 2nd (Notetab and) clip, in this clip have a repeat focusapp to
      >> keep it focused so that the wizard of 1st clip is not in focus and thus
      >> the person cannot fill in the wizard fields.

    • ebbtidalflats
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 17 6:59 AM
        I'm planning a field test of your ideas next week. Currently the problem is to keep everything in a single library, for both instances of NTP. And the only clip I can run from NoteTab's command line is the OnOpen clip, which I need for other things. I'm trying various conditionals in OnOpen.

        I'll post the results here when I have some.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 18 5:35 AM
          Spoke too soon <g>.

          The 2nd NT instanced worked, though there are two popups, the 2nd window, which must be cleared, then reinstated after the timeout, and the popup message. It's a bit annoying to have the double popup, but it works a bit better than the WSH script.

          Thanks Al. Some comments to your (and my) post below.

          Eb

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

          > I'm planning a field test of your ideas next week.

          Got to it yesterday.

          > only clip I can run from NoteTab's command line is the OnOpen

          I hadn't read the latest commandline arguments. Specifying a clip by name works.

          > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Al <acummingsus@> wrote:
          > > Keep the 2nd Notetab minimal ie don't open a bunch of documents at
          > > startup, etc. and Notetab is known for its light resource consumption.
          > > If your wizard is not in focus, methinks the person cannot fill in its
          > > fields.

          That's the idea - stop that person from filling in fields, like in a timed test.