Re: [Clip] WScript pop-up over executing clip

  • Al
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 14, 2010
      Eb,

      Keep the 2nd Notetab minimal ie don't open a bunch of documents at
      startup, etc. and Notetab is known for its light resource consumption.

      Oh yes to yours tiny resource you mentioned.

      Doesn't Windows oper system only allow one window in focus at a time?

      If your wizard is not in focus, methinks the person cannot fill in its
      fields.

      Seem to me you might need here an software program with the all of these
      tasks playing out in one window, not several windows.

      Is there an app out there that can fuse (windows into 1 window) or
      otherwise load two windows into one window. Alan.

      ebbtidalflats wrote:
      > Hi Al,
      >
      > Interesting idea -- using a clip from a second instance of NoteTab.
      > I may give it a try, just for education. I don't see how this will overcome the focus of the wizard.
      >
      > By the way, when running my external timer script uses very little resources, so a second instance of NoteTab will seem like going squirrel hunting with a 12 gauge shotgun <grin>.
      >

      > Cheers,
      >

      > Eb
      >
      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Al <acummingsus@...> wrote:

      >> Oops someone is filling in the wizard fields and the clip can't
      >> ^!FocusApp at the same time.
      >>
      >> Make an alternate ini so you can command line launch a 2nd Notetab that,
      >> upon launch, is running a timer clip -- call this command line from the
      >> first clip -- do so just before the wizard pops up
      >>
      >> in the 2nd (Notetab and) clip, in this clip have a repeat focusapp to
      >> keep it focused so that the wizard of 1st clip is not in focus and thus
      >> the person cannot fill in the wizard fields.

    • Al
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 14, 2010
        FWIW

        "always on top"

        a "windows thing" can optionally set any window to behave like this.

        ebbtidalflats wrote:
        > Hi Al,
        >
        > Interesting idea -- using a clip from a second instance of NoteTab.
        > I may give it a try, just for education. I don't see how this will overcome the focus of the wizard.
        >
        > By the way, when running my external timer script uses very little resources, so a second instance of NoteTab will seem like going squirrel hunting with a 12 gauge shotgun <grin>.
        >

        > Cheers,
        >

        > Eb
        >
        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Al <acummingsus@...> wrote:

        >> Oops someone is filling in the wizard fields and the clip can't
        >> ^!FocusApp at the same time.
        >>
        >> Make an alternate ini so you can command line launch a 2nd Notetab that,
        >> upon launch, is running a timer clip -- call this command line from the
        >> first clip -- do so just before the wizard pops up
        >>
        >> in the 2nd (Notetab and) clip, in this clip have a repeat focusapp to
        >> keep it focused so that the wizard of 1st clip is not in focus and thus
        >> the person cannot fill in the wizard fields.

      • ebbtidalflats
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 17, 2010
          I'm planning a field test of your ideas next week. Currently the problem is to keep everything in a single library, for both instances of NTP. And the only clip I can run from NoteTab's command line is the OnOpen clip, which I need for other things. I'm trying various conditionals in OnOpen.

          I'll post the results here when I have some.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 18, 2010
            Spoke too soon <g>.

            The 2nd NT instanced worked, though there are two popups, the 2nd window, which must be cleared, then reinstated after the timeout, and the popup message. It's a bit annoying to have the double popup, but it works a bit better than the WSH script.

            Thanks Al. Some comments to your (and my) post below.

            Eb

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

            > I'm planning a field test of your ideas next week.

            Got to it yesterday.

            > only clip I can run from NoteTab's command line is the OnOpen

            I hadn't read the latest commandline arguments. Specifying a clip by name works.

            > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Al <acummingsus@> wrote:
            > > Keep the 2nd Notetab minimal ie don't open a bunch of documents at
            > > startup, etc. and Notetab is known for its light resource consumption.
            > > If your wizard is not in focus, methinks the person cannot fill in its
            > > fields.

            That's the idea - stop that person from filling in fields, like in a timed test.