Help with a regular expression...

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2010
      I'm too stupid to understand "regular expressions", but that doesn't mean that I don't need them! :^)

      While running a clip in the editor, I need to "find" the text lying in between the two parentheses, and also want to include the two parentheses.

      For example, I want the editor to "find": "(SAID ARC BEING SUBTENDED BY A CHORD BEARING OF
      NORTH 69°40'50" EAST AND A CHORD DISTANCE OF 4.64 FEET)"

      there will many of these occurances, with different text between each set of parnetheses. Here is a sample of the text: (and there will be hard lines breaks, too)

      I would very much appreciate any help or direction in finding this regular expression. Thank you!
      THENCE NORTHEASTERLY ALONG THE ARC OF SAID
      CURVE AN ARC DISTANCE OF 9.53 FEET, (SAID ARC BEING SUBTENDED BY A CHORD
      BEARING OF NORTH 63°28'29" EAST AND A CHORD DISTANCE OF 9.39 FEET); TO A
      POINT OF A CURVE CONCAVE SOUTHERLY, HAVING A RADIUS OF 47.91 FEET; THENCE
      EASTERLY ALONG THE ARC OF SAID CURVE AN ARC DISTANCE OF 6.58 FEET, (SAID
      ARC BEING SUBTENDED BY A CHORD BEARING OF NORTH 83°12'12" EAST AND A CHORD
      DISTANCE OF 6.58 FEET); TO A POINT OF A CURVE CONCAVE NORTHERLY, HAVING A
      RADIUS OF 45.43 FEET; THENCE EASTERLY ALONG THE ARC OF SAID CURVE AN ARC
      DISTANCE OF 10.01 FEET, (SAID ARC BEING SUBTENDED BY A CHORD BEARING OF
      NORTH 83°34'23" EAST AND A CHORD DISTANCE OF 9.99 FEET); TO A POINT OF A
      CURVE CONCAVE NORTHWESTERLY, HAVING A RADIUS OF 11.46 FEET;
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2010
        To find one set of parens, and everything inside them, you can use the following in the search
        dialog, with regular expression checked:

        Use Find Next to walk through the document.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2010
          John, I really appreciate that. Thank you.

          -Steve